Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

80's children only.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Wow, never knew that and I would have been there too around that time ('79-'86). You don't recall what teacher it was, do you? Killing Joke seemed to always be on C4's "The Tube" around that time although I prefered their earlier stuff more.

No idea which teacher it was. I can't really imagine any of the lot that were there having connections to KJ but it happened.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Oooh tough...

best?...early 80's OMD, late 80's the mighty Stone Roses...

worst?...got to be WHAM for me!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I preferred the Style Council. I am no Mick Talbot but tried my hardest in this vid!

[yt]EkSxsdX596Y[/yt]

SERIOUSLY impressed by that, JCF :thumbsup: - I'm always envious of that sort of talent.

It brought to mind the bit in the book, 'The Modfather' about one bloke's obsession with Weller. Trying to impress a new girlfriend over the phone, the author put on 'Le Depart' and pretended he was actually playing it :laugh:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
The Stupids were really really great. There's quite a connection with Brighton too as, after the first album, Stevie Snax who lived in town joined them on bass. Alan from Brighton hardcore bands Immolato Tomatoes and Sleep sung with them towards the end too, and the guitarist from my old HC band - The Rapid Pips - auditioned for them.
I saw them play some blazing gigs in Brighton, but the one at the Zap with Heresy and Default was probably the best, closely followed by the open-air show at the skate park on The Level.
They reformed a few years back for a couple of gigs, including one at The Engine Rooms. I was very dubious as they didn't really need to (Tommy Stupid is perhaps better known as very successful drum & bass DJ and producer Klute), but they they were supremely powerful, fast, tight and all-round awesome.

Good call with The Pixies, The Fall, Husker Du, The Lemonheads, Dinosaur Jnr, but Spandau Ballet? Really?!?

Nice to see Electro Hippies get a mention too. They were fantatsic.

Have you read "Trapped In A Scene", largely about these bands? Worth doing so if not.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trapped-Scene-Ian-Glasper/dp/1901447618/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330712109&sr=1-1

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
OK...you music nerds will point out that this was released May 79....but who cares....top tune!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Oh wow! Missed this thread!

80s gods -

Japan
Simple Minds
Ultravox
Prefab Sprout
early U2 (up to and including War)
Big Country
The Fixx
The Silencers
Icehouse
Adam and the Ants
Joe Jackson
Joan Armatrading
The Jam
Madness

Only 3 things wrong with the eighties...

Stock

Aitken

and Waterman

Last edited:

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Glad someone mentioned The Go-Betweens - one of my favourite bands ever. I also have a great deal of time for Josef K, The Wedding Present, and The Minutemen (I like fast, spiky guitar).

Selecting a "best" or even favourite band of any decade is impossible for me though.

Bookend albums? Well "Closer" came out in '80 and The Mekon's "Rock 'n' Roll" came out in '89

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Much prefer the Style Council!

boik

Well I'd like to vote for The Wedding Present as the boy Gedge is God, but they only just scrape into the 80s so....

The Cure
XTC
Half Man Half Biscuit
Any of the Spizz incarnations
PIL
Throwing Muses

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Best: Depeche Mode
Worst: Matchbox

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports