Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8% of football fans would not watch their team with a gay player

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think 8% is quite low and I think it means that great strides forward have been made in recent years on this topic but I think those strides forward have been made in society as a whole and they have simply manifested themselves within football.

As in life we are never going to get intolerance down to 0% - I care not one jot whether a player comes out or not. If we continue to progress on this topic in life then we will progress on the football field and eventually a Gay Football Player will come out. There are loads of them and they are actually out to some team mates but we the public have no god given right to know about peoples personal lives just because someone plays football for a living.

The one thing I would say though is - ''I hope I can manage to get a ticket or invitation to Andre Gray's coming out party''

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What if the 8% are included in the 12% but some who would not like a rival player signed would like a gay player signed then it could be less than 12%???

Okay, I can't do the maths. Would I be correct to say somewhere between 4% to 20%?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Am I the only person a little heartened by this? I thought it would be a fair bit more than 8%. It certainly would have been 20 years ago.

I'd be very interested to see an age breakdown of the 8%.

Yes, I think you're on your own there. I would be disgusted if 8% didn't like it. But 8% actually won't watch their team with 1 gay player? It's unbelievable. Not heartening at all. I never imagined it would even be 0.008%.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
92% of fans are OK with the idea of gay player(s) in their team? Excellent. That's a lot of progress over the last - I don't know, 20 years, 40 years, however far you take it back. Given that you're never going to get 100% of people - football fans or not - on-side, whether it be with regard to sexual orientation, religion, race, colour or whatever. So 92% doesn't seem bad to me - yes, could be better, should be better, campaigning will go on (quite rightly). I don't think it'll ever be 100% though.

I think 8% is quite low and I think it means that great strides forward have been made in recent years on this topic but I think those strides forward have been made in society as a whole and they have simply manifested themselves within football.

As in life we are never going to get intolerance down to 0% - I care not one jot whether a player comes out or not. If we continue to progress on this topic in life then we will progress on the football field and eventually a Gay Football Player will come out. There are loads of them and they are actually out to some team mates but we the public have no god given right to know about peoples personal lives just because someone plays football for a living.

The one thing I would say though is - ''I hope I can manage to get a ticket or invitation to Andre Gray's coming out party''

But it doesn't say 92% are ok, it says 8% are SO against it that they would stop going to matches.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I think you're on your own there. I would be disgusted if 8% didn't like it. But 8% actually won't watch their team with 1 gay player? It's unbelievable. Not heartening at all. I never imagined it would even be 0.008%.

Certainly less on his own than you are, judging by the posts on here. Most people are fully aware that you'll never get 100% - and that 92% indicates a big improvement over the years.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But it doesn't say 92% are ok, it says 8% are SO against it that they would stop going to matches.

Thats true but I do think as a society as a whole things are so much better. I am lucky I have lived a lot of my life in London where most things are largely acceptable but of course not by all; however, even when I go back to the small village I came from in Scotland, issues like that are quite largely accepted much more so than when I lived there.

One of the best traits in any human being as far as I am concerned is ''tolerance'' - Society as a whole throughout the world would be a much better place if people could just learn to accept everyone else for who they are. Exempted from that of course being people like murderers, rapist, pedophiles and people of such ilks but that goes without saying.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If you read the actual question and answers (see MattBackHome's post, number 52) the question was 'would you not want to watch', not would you actually stop going to matches - a subtle difference. And even then, only 3% strongly agreed with the statement - the other 5% 'tended to agree' - which suggests they might not be totally happy about it, but would probably keep going anyway.
So do the maths. 3% strongly anti, 5% not too happy about it. 100 minus 8 = 92. So 92% are OK with it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have a solution to it all

Given that Brighton is one of the most tolerant clubs on this issue. Perhaps all the gay players should come out to Brighton every year. We cherry pick all the best ones and build a brilliant football team on the strength of it who fire us to the Premiership

The 8% of fans who don't like it can **** off. They get replaced by thousands of gay football fans in the UK. Due to our tolerance and major publicity of it, we recruit millions of fans gay and gay tolerant and their families all round the world. We raise billions from sales of replica shirts all round the world which finance the club for many years to come.

Then the icing on the cake, the 8% who ****ed off earlier want to come back due to our success, we welcome them back with open arms because we are not only a tolerant but also a forgiving club, so we build an extension to the ground to welcome them back and sell another extra 8% replica shirts

Problem solved.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I would imagine most of those nay sayers are from Yorkshire clubs.... not known for its cosmopolitan outlook on life.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't know, there is a club just north of the M23 that like to join in the homophobic comments on their boards.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
And there we have the homophobic thin end of the wedge:facepalm:

Well that's me put firmly in my place :nono:.....don't for Gods sake in this day and age, say anything light hearted about anything, or the Wannabe Victor Meldrews will hunt you down. I thoroughly dislike homophobics, still have, and have had many gay friends as I have also multiracial. Why is it that 'finger pointers' whom are neither see themselves as their needless and uneccessary protectors. :facepalm:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I have a solution to it all

Given that Brighton is one of the most tolerant clubs on this issue. Perhaps all the gay players should come out to Brighton every year. We cherry pick all the best ones and build a brilliant football team on the strength of it who fire us to the Premiership

The 8% of fans who don't like it can **** off. They get replaced by thousands of gay football fans in the UK. Due to our tolerance and major publicity of it, we recruit millions of fans gay and gay tolerant and their families all round the world. We raise billions from sales of replica shirts all round the world which finance the club for many years to come.

Then the icing on the cake, the 8% who ****ed off earlier want to come back due to our success, we welcome them back with open arms because we are not only a tolerant but also a forgiving club, so we build an extension to the ground to welcome them back and sell another extra 8% replica shirts

Problem solved.
like it, but wouldn't you get pseudo-gay footballers

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would imagine 8% is actually on the conservative side...

8% admitted they wouldnt watch their team, i bet as many just didnt own up to it sadly...

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Overall, three quarters strongly DISAGREE that they wouldn't watch their team if it had a gay player. So if the vast majority don't have a problem, then why are the FA saying they are cautious about players coming out? Especially as only 2% strongly agreed.

From those results:

Q3 - "I would not want to watch my team if there was a gay player"

NET agree - 7%

Strongly agree - 2%
Tend to agree - 5%
Tend to disagree - 13%
Strongly disagree - 75%

NET disagree - 87%

Don't know - 5%

Also it looks to be slightly more of an issue amongst under-44s - and also Londoners - but still low scores:

Main splits for "agree":

Male - 9%
Female - 5%

18-24 yrs - 11%
25-34 - 12%
35-44 - 11%
45-54 - 4%
55-64 - 4%
65+ - 3%

London - 12%
South West - 10%
South East at 7%
The lowest was East at 4%

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
I would imagine 8% is actually on the conservative side...

8% admitted they wouldnt watch their team, i bet as many just didnt own up to it sadly...

That's always the danger of surveys, and why opinion polls can be so badly out. But online surveys are most likely to get a truthful response. If you'd asked that question face-to-face to people though, you'd get a very different answer I'd imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here