Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

75 Billion Quid Pumped Into The Economy By The Bank Of England. What If...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Under a Tory government they just create money that never existed ?

and as Labour did to the tune of £200billion. they dont actually print anything, hence why its got this cute name, because it is different. its quite clever as i understand it: banks/pensions/investment funds lent you billions in the past, you simply pay them back with immediate effect. they now have £75bn some of which they are obliged to spend on... new bonds from the treasury, so it comes right back. some also goes in to the stock market so we all feel warm and fluffy as we see the FTSE go up (and is genuinly good news for many pensioners or those nearing retirement), even though it doesnt really make a blind bit of difference to the actual FTSE companies balance sheets.some of it also goes in commodities and derivities, which is not so good for inflation, but right now its the lesser of evils.

personally, i dont see the point, as it doesnt come with any caveat to actually lend, the banks can just horde it. the main problem to growth (apart from no policy to assit growth) is the rest of Europe is f***ed and we already have better growth then most, so really theres nowt we can do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and as Labour did to the tune of £200billion. they dont actually print anything, hence why its got this cute name, because it is different. its quite clever as i understand it: banks/pensions/investment funds lent you billions in the past, you simply pay them back with immediate effect. they now have £75bn some of which they are obliged to spend on... new bonds from the treasury, so it comes right back. some also goes in to the stock market so we all feel warm and fluffy as we see the FTSE go up (and is genuinly good news for many pensioners or those nearing retirement), even though it doesnt really make a blind bit of difference to the actual FTSE companies balance sheets.some of it also goes in commodities and derivities, which is not so good for inflation, but right now its the lesser of evils.

personally, i dont see the point, as it doesnt come with any caveat to actually lend, the banks can just horde it. the main problem to growth (apart from no policy to assit growth) is the rest of Europe is f***ed and we already have better growth then most, so really theres nowt we can do.
I'm goint to have a beer

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed." - George Osborne 2009

Right so, when the labour government did it, it was wrong, but when a Tory government does it despite claiming it's a wrong, desperate policy, it's ok ?

These guys make Meade's Ball intelligable

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whiich is what Stephanie Flanders should have asked Mervyn King about on PM this evening.

There's something about Stephanie Flanders that I like.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Money, explained.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Right so, when the labour government did it, it was wrong, but when a Tory government does it despite claiming it's a wrong, desperate policy, it's ok ?

These guys make Meade's Ball intelligable

Well, how about when Labour printed money it was as a consequence of failures in the financial system that had been caused directly as a consequence of Labour policy, hence the recent apology by Balls. To be fair to Osbourne (not that he deserves fairness much of the time) he's inherited the shit palace from Labour and given the current economic conditions are a legacy of 2008 he has little options available.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
currently a billion is a thousand million, and a trillion is a thousand million.

I've read that sentence a dozen times and it still doesn't make sense

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, how about when Labour printed money it was as a consequence of failures in the financial system that had been caused directly as a consequence of Labour policy, hence the recent apology by Balls. To be fair to Osbourne (not that he deserves fairness much of the time) he's inherited the shit palace from Labour and given the current economic conditions are a legacy of 2008 he has little options available.

Oh right, I mistakenly thought the financial crisis was caused by the collapse of the US sub-prime market leading to the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Bank and subsequent domino effect through the western banking system.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Oh right, I mistakenly thought the financial crisis was caused by the collapse of the US sub-prime market leading to the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Bank and subsequent domino effect through the western banking system.

Cripes, economics AND ALLOTMENTS.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
so we'd get the same as palace paid there creditors then......we must be in a mess!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Money, explained.

only utterly wrong. this obsession in certain quarters about debt and banks "inventing" money ignores the very issue presenting the banks today. when you take out a loan, the bank has to have the cash on their balance sheet, it doesnt appear because you signed up to the loan. the whole credit problem is because they dont have enough cash on the balance sheet to cover all their liabilities, so have to themselves borrow from another bank. yes, its a massive carousel, passing the money round the room to cover the debts for the day, but thats a whole different issue to what that video claims at the outset.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

He might have inherited a benefits system that is soaking up money and a bloated public sector but you can't blame brown or labour for the world economy. In fact New Labour mearly took over from thatcher and major in getting in deeper with the bankers and the world banks which led to the failure of global economics. If the euro and other currencies fall and the European banks start to crash taking out your savings and pensions how will you blame brown for that after 2 years of Osbourne and cameron

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"There's something about Stephanie Flanders that I like. "Quoted by Herr Tubhumper

She has been humped in the past by both ED MILLIBAND and ED BALLS.

True.

Lush

Mods' Pet
How can you be so mean to that nice Mervyn King.

mervynking.jpg

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
A £1000 per head is nothing in reality, as if all government liabilities were added up, every family in the United Kingdom owes the equivalent of £80,000 each to cover their share of the national debt.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

You are wrong.

Even Mr Balls knows so..................."For the part that I and the last Labour government played in the global regulatory failure, I am deeply sorry."

Lehmans collapse was a symptom....................it was not the cause...............this global economic blather is what the politicians want you to think, looks like you've bought it.

It will go on too, all the while we have career politicians.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here