Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] 6% Bank Rate is good news for savers

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
In the UK about 6.8% of people have mortgages.

By comparison about 61% of people are savers, some of which may be hitting the breadline.

So any rise in income to this long forgotten majority is surely good news.
Long forgotten majority….

Don’t worry Uncle C - I and the many other millennials and Gen Z who have been done over by your generation will be sure to return the favour when you’re in your nursing home

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pretty obvious which age groups are getting utterly f***ed over, and which are absolutely loving this interest rate rise.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it's anything to do with age. He was born a Cupid Stunt and has always been, regardless of his age and way before he decided to spend the last 20 years displaying it on NSC :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having money in the bank will work, not so much the stock exchange currently

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Genuine question, why are you bothering engaging with this absolute fool?

He's clearly completely ignorant about the realities of life for many, is no doubt sitting in a pool of his own urine, dreaming about the halcyon days of men being men, reminiscing about how much harder he had it with only four channels on the TV. It's like trying to engage with a racist.

You can't use rational thinking to win arguments with idiots.
You left out watching Andrew Tate and Liz Truss Youtube videos.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It goes beyon

He's clearly completely ignorant about the realities of life for many, is no doubt sitting in a pool of his own urine, dreaming about the halcyon days of men being men, reminiscing about how much harder he had it with only four channels on the TV. It's like trying to engage with a racist.

It goes beyond that, twat wants anyone who in his opinion over stretched, to suffer.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Long forgotten majority….

Don’t worry Uncle C - I and the many other millennials and Gen Z who have been done over by your generation will be sure to return the favour when you’re in your nursing home
FFS - one idiot replying to another idiot. Do you honestly believe this is about one generation deliberately “doing over” subsequent generations?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

By comparison about 61% of people are savers, some of which may be hitting the breadline.

Anyone with enough savings to think this is good news, really isn’t “hitting the breadline “.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

I hope for your sake you have a strong power of attorney in place if you have any faith in the numbers you’ve quoted

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
A reminder for us all that respect your elders is not a universal rule: respect only those who deserve your respect.

For the older people who treat the young with disdain, decisions made by your generation have actively limited the opportunities and resources available to those now trying to build their own careers and lives. Never mind the current financial mess, when the impacts of climate change really start accumulating that is when the shit will truly hit the fan.

Perhaps a little more empathy and reflection wouldn’t go amiss, rather than a “f*** you, got mine” attitude. The outlook of the young is incredibly pessimistic for a reason - ask your kids and grandkids about it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Boomers are becoming increasingly unpopular with millenials and generation Zs for attitudes like this.

Young people today are really, really struggling - with housing in particular, amongst other financial issues such as student loan debt. Boomers gloating about how much wealth they have will not end well for them.

Eventually millenials and generation Zs will be the majority, and they will be coming for all this hoarded wealth. I think that much is inevitable.
I don't understand your persistent marking this out to be some sort of generational warfare. There are poor elderly people, there are poor young people, there are wealthy of all demographics as well, of course. I question what you would do differently as and when you're in the fortunate position to be selling a house, sell it for a discount to you generational cohorts? No, you won't.

I'm 52 so kind of stuck in the middle - What you may not understand is that people in my age group will remember getting simple, cheap Christmas and birthday presents, getting a second hand bike that maybe cost £10 and you had to do up then we look at what kids have today, it's mind boggling. Then we moved in to our 20s and most of us still had naff all, renting a room in a house, sharing a flat etc etc - Again I look at people in that age group today, they have a lot of material STUFF.

I'm rambling somewhat but if you extrapolate this to the generation before mine, they really had f all so perhaps you can see the why the head scratching at the 'injustice of it all'? I feel for anyone who, through no fault of their own, is faced with crippling mortgage payments but this has it roots in the financial crisis of the late 00s and the very cheap credit that people have lapped up. The rates right now are historically low, we've just just grown very used to them being stupidly low. That's not my fault and it's not the boomers' fault

You're last point is a bit silly.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

It's because I can't punch his corpulent face

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

FOUR channels? Those post-Channel 4 fackers don't know they're born... :wink:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Pretty obvious which age groups are getting utterly f***ed over, and which are absolutely loving this interest rate rise.
You just can't generalise

Uncle C is just an evil bastard - there's a lot of thick and old evil bastards about.
No-one would vote Tory unless they're thick or a bastard - it's how Brexit got done.

I'm older and am very worried about the future for my kids and grandkids. They're all working themselves to the bone and the Tories have fecked their future. We help all that we can - but things are just going from bad to worse for them. I wish I could do more but resources for all of us aren't limited. And the NHS is slowly being privatised, what's left won't be worth a bean.
It's agony watching my family struggle because a few loonies and dodgies managed to get into high office.
Voted for by the thick - most of whom will probably need the NHS before you - if that's any consolation.

So please don't generalise on one post from a thick or evil (or both) bastard

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Proves just how old and out of touch you are with the way those that aren't are struggling as a result of government policies.
I'm 54, have worked for 35+ years, and have a reasonably modest income and yet still have no savings. And here you are, gloating.
Glad to see this was reply number one.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Well, me and the Mrs were caught in the 15% mortgage catastrophe. We genuinely couldn’t afford to feed the kids. It was an awful time of our lives. But, it was so terrible I will never ever forget the effect for the rest of my days.

Now years on we’ve retired and (not gloating) we do have a few quid where we can get some decent interest. However because of our previous experiences I have total sympathy for those struggling. We do fully understand what they are going through and wouldn’t wish it on your worst enemy.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
FFS - one idiot replying to another idiot. Do you honestly believe this is about one generation deliberately “doing over” subsequent generations?
On a grand scale though, it pretty much is - boomers vs the rest. You can get angry about it at the individual level if you are part of that generation it you can’t really deny how they vote, act as a block. Deeply unpleasant.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No-one would vote Tory unless they're thick or a bastard - it's how Brexit got done.
I think it's this stuff that people refer to when generalising about older generations f**king the younger generations.

I'm 38 so just about count as young still. I'm apparently a millennial though that makes me feel a bit cringe.

Anyway, we young whippersnappers know that not every person over 50 voted for the Tories or for Brexit but the fact remains: more older than younger people voted for Brexit and voted for the Tories both of which, depending on your viewpoint, have lead us to this moment in time.

So it's an easy generalisation to make.

But I do agree that generalisations don't help the discourse. It ends up being just another thing to divide people across some line in the sand or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here