Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5th ODI ENG v SL

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"Oh boy! This is a moment. Buttler is run out back room. Senanayake had warned him previously. Buttler backed up again. Senanayake appeal and the umpire asked Mathews if he wanted to uphold it. Mathews said yes. Buttler given out. This will be a story."

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Shocking decision by Sri Lanka. Just seen it, Buttler wasn't trying to charge down to nick a run, he's not even really backing up, he's just edged forward. Definitely not in the spirit of the game.

Whoops there goes Treadwell's timbers!

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Shocking decision by Umpire. Bowler able to attempt run out of non-striker only before entering delivery stride. In this case should have been not out!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hope it is rained off now. Sad that they changed the game with that run out.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Shocking decision by Umpire. Bowler able to attempt run out of non-striker only before entering delivery stride. In this case should have been not out!

This. The umpires haven't interpreted the law correctly, which shouldn't happen at this level.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Just checked the run out was against the Laws of cricket, but acceptable under ODI playing conditions. I don't know why they have to change the laws for certain competitions. Calling an over head-hight bouncer a wide instead of a no-ball in Internationals is a pet peeve of mine.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Just checked the run out was against the Laws of cricket, but acceptable under ODI playing conditions. I don't know why they have to change the laws for certain competitions. Calling an over head-hight bouncer a wide instead of a no-ball in Internationals is a pet peeve of mine.

Was just about to post this, the ODI playing conditions change that law.

Personally I don't object to this. He was warned what'd happen if he was out of his crease again, he was so he got run out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Was just about to post this, the ODI playing conditions change that law.

Personally I don't object to this. He was warned what'd happen if he was out of his crease again, he was so he got run out.

It's a good point, the bowler made a real point of showing Buttler that he felt he was backing up too early and demonstrated he could get him out.. I'd agree with the comments about not being in the spirit of the game, but Buttler has to take responsibility for what is really a school boy error.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Jordan has no control - hope he gets wickets to make up for it

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
While there's a few mega cocks in the SL team, they have played better and fug me the bowling has been garbage. Gurney & Jordan are much heralded but bowled utter buffet

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
It's a good point, the bowler made a real point of showing Buttler that he felt he was backing up too early and demonstrated he could get him out.. I'd agree with the comments about not being in the spirit of the game, but Buttler has to take responsibility for what is really a school boy error.
I fail to see how the bowler's actions in this case can be against the spirit of the game. Under the ICC playing conditions, the bowler is under no obligation whatsoever to warn the batsman prior to attempting a mankad. The fact that the bowler did so in this case was a courtesy and totally in accordance with the spirit of the game, not against it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I fail to see how the bowler's actions in this case can be against the spirit of the game. Under the ICC playing conditions, the bowler is under no obligation whatsoever to warn the batsman prior to attempting a mankad. The fact that the bowler did so in this case was a courtesy and totally in accordance with the spirit of the game, not against it.

I have to agree here. Normally the umpire would have a word with the batsman if the bowled threatened a mankad previously. Only time I ever did it was playing indoor cricket at Howsat at Lancing years ago. Legitimate in that form of the game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have to agree here. Normally the umpire would have a word with the batsman if the bowled threatened a mankad previously. Only time I ever did it was playing indoor cricket at Howsat at Lancing years ago. Legitimate in that form of the game.

And, when yer arms 6' long its much easier to do !

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Agreeded,just how many warnings did Buttler need ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here