Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

50k a week

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It was my understanding that our players were on fairly average wages for div 1 but on incredible bonuses for cup games, presumably on the basis that we were unlikely to do that well. I seriously believe that this was where the illusive cup run money went and why the players' focus was on the cup.

Albion old wages in the first division as follows. In the year we were promoted no player was on more than £350 a week. By the time we were relegated this had increased to £950 a week, but the total wage bill in the cup final year for all staff, playing, managerial and administrative, was £1.2 million, less than we are paying Lewis Dunk this season.

Albion Wages 1980.PNGAlbion Wages 1984.PNG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At my sisters wedding was a certain Chelsea accountant we got chatting late into the evening after a day on the sherbets, he told me I can't go into details but the wages reported in the media are so way off the mark they laugh about it in the office.

I teach some football agents. They are terrible gossips and will often show me contracts for their clients (which is pretty unprofessional of them, and I won't compound the felony by quoting here) but the numbers for some transfers in this division are eye-watering.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Jesse Lingard - £25,000 weekly wage

Paul Pogba - £290,000 weekly wage

I think Lingaard will be negotiating a slightly higher salary when his contract expires in 2018 :ohmy:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It really does surprise me that anyone is shocked by such a wage increase. It either shows a lack of understanding for basic supppy and demand rules, or a basic lack of understanding of the modern realities of football in England.

Being shocked doesn't show a lack of understanding of anything - doubling a teenager's wages from £1.4M to £2.8M is shocking. And as for basic supply and demand rules, they ceased to apply when Sky money flooded the market. It is perfectly possible to understand that this is the way of modern football, while still finding it absolutely shocking that it was ever allowed to get this far.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Being shocked doesn't show a lack of understanding of anything - doubling a teenager's wages from £1.4M to £2.8M is shocking. And as for basic supply and demand rules, they ceased to apply when Sky money flooded the market. It is perfectly possible to understand that this is the way of modern football, while still finding it absolutely shocking that it was ever allowed to get this far.

It was allowed to get this far because there is no system in place, meaning that inflation AND supply and demand rules will continue to push wages up for the most in demand players, of which Abraham is increasingly becoming one.

So I don't see why it's shocking. The guy has had a good season and in the current market, would fetch £50k a week were he to be sold. Therefore, irrespective of his age, he has the right to demand to be paid what he's worth, as anyone in any job does. It's called capitalism.

Unfortunately, the only way this will ever change is if the FA takes charge of the situation and puts rules in place to limit the salaries of young players. But that's like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. Furthermore, English elite clubs won't allow it to happen, as it'll make our youngsters more prone to moves abroad where they can fetch such money and the reality is that our clubs want to keep the best youngsters around.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unfortunately, the only way this will ever change is if the FA takes charge of the situation and puts rules in place to limit the salaries of young players. But that's like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. Furthermore, English elite clubs won't allow it to happen, as it'll make our youngsters more prone to moves abroad where they can fetch such money and the reality is that our clubs want to keep the best youngsters around.
And really, seriously, you don't find this shocking? Wow!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here