Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£50 to cancel your season ticket !!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Are you sure they want the £50 on top of the two DD payments they've taken already? I'd have thought that since the season hasn't started and thus no games have been watched, they would refund the DD's taken less the £50 cancellation charge. No?

This surely?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are you sure they want the £50 on top of the two DD payments they've taken already? I'd have thought that since the season hasn't started and thus no games have been watched, they would refund the DD's taken less the £50 cancellation charge. No?

You're paying for season tickets(s) in 12 monthly interest free direct debit instalments , some clubs don't have a cancellation charge because its factored into the overall charge of a loan agreement through a 3rd party provider.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Silly question, but since when does being made redundant mean that he couldn't just go out and find another job, the redundancy pay-off should tide him over until he starts working again? - Or is he expecting to never work again?

I think the company went bust, hence no payout, also he is looking for a job, but whilst looking every penny counts, therefore he cant afford the luxury of £60 ish coming out of his account each month whilst he is looking

Pretty sure this is how it works, a mate did the same last year and they refunded the payments for next season made less £50.00.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Difficult one. The club offer a very attractive interest free DD option for spreading the payments of the ST rather than forking out a lump sum, on a season ticket that works out as excellent value compared to match day prices. Therefore they hardly want the administrative inconvenience of it being easy for people just to cancel their ST whenever they feel like it.

Just looked at the Southampton T&C's and if you cancel with them you have a £20 cancellation fee AND a £45 administration fee.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think the company went bust, hence no payout, also he is looking for a job, but whilst looking every penny counts, therefore he cant afford the luxury of £60 ish coming out of his account each month whilst he is looking

The most frightening redundancies are those where your employer goes bust completely. Often they come straight out of the blue, without advance warning of any kind. And naturally you’ll wonder whether you are going to get any of what you would normally have been entitled to during a redundancy, such as redundancy pay, pay in lieu of notice, perhaps even wages or salary you are still owed. Fortunately the answer is yes. You still do have some protections even if your employer is no longer in a position to pay you. The government steps in and offers a degree of support through the Insolvency Service.

Money You Can Claim from the Insolvency Service
Through the National Insurance Fund, the Insolvency Service will pay you the redundancy payment you would normally have been entitled to from your employer. For this, the basic rules on eligibility and amount are exactly the same as they would normally be for Statutory Redundancy Payments. If your contract of employment promised you more than the statutory minimum, you will not get that extra amount.

In all payments you receive from the Insolvency Service, there is an upper weekly pay limit. Currently this stands at £330 but, as this will be updated each year in line with inflation, you should check with the Insolvency Service to find out the latest value.

If you are still owed some normal pay from your employer at the time it becomes insolvent, the Insolvency Service can get it to you. Here, too, the maximum weekly limit applies and there is an additional limit of 8 weeks pay in total.

At the time you are made redundant, if, during the previous 12 months, you have accrued entitlement to paid holiday which you have not used, the Insolvency Service will also compensate you for that up to a limit of 6 weeks.

http://www.redundancyexpert.co.uk/what-do-if-your-employer-becomes-insolvent.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he drops an email to Paul barber and explains the situation and the fact he has already paid £80 but will be getting nothing for it then I suspect the man (despite all the people on here who think he is satan) will get something sorted out

I'd rather pay £50 than have a 62 page email from Paul Barber.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Difficult one. The club offer a very attractive interest free DD option for spreading the payments of the ST rather than forking out a lump sum, on a season ticket that works out as excellent value compared to match day prices. Therefore they hardly want the administrative inconvenience of it being easy for people just to cancel their ST whenever they feel like it.

Just looked at the Southampton T&C's and if you cancel with them you have a £20 cancellation fee AND a £45 administration fee.

Why is it interest free? You are always paying up front for each game

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Silly question, but since when does being made redundant mean that he couldn't just go out and find another job, the redundancy pay-off should tide him over until he starts working again? - Or is he expecting to never work again?

With all due respect, it isn't that easy. Firstly, how do you know he wasn't only on a months notice ? Hence he'll get at best a months pay and, if he's worked for more than two years for his employer, around £400 for each year he has worked.

I was made redundant at the end of Feb, so far I've applied for over 300 jobs - I'm an IT professional so most people expected I would be re-employed fairly quickly. Guess what ? My redundancy money ( 3 months in my case as I was fairly senior ) has now run out. So a flippant post of "but since when does being made redundant mean that he couldn't just go out and find another job" suggests that you really don't live in the real world. I'm now about to default on my mortgage - I guess I could just get another job seeing as you think it's so easy ?

The moment the person in question mentioned to the club that he was being made redundant and couldn't afford his season ticket they should have just refunded his pre-payments and waived the 'fee'. Especially when you take into account the obscene salaries paid to the players and Barber.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
With all due respect, it isn't that easy. Firstly, how do you know he wasn't only on a months notice ? Hence he'll get at best a months pay and, if he's worked for more than two years for his employer, around £400 for each year he has worked.

I was made redundant at the end of Feb, so far I've applied for over 300 jobs - I'm an IT professional so most people expected I would be re-employed fairly quickly. Guess what ? My redundancy money ( 3 months in my case as I was fairly senior ) has now run out. So a flippant post of "but since when does being made redundant mean that he couldn't just go out and find another job" suggests that you really don't live in the real world. I'm now about to default on my mortgage - I guess I could just get another job seeing as you think it's so easy ?

The moment the person in question mentioned to the club that he was being made redundant and couldn't afford his season ticket they should have just refunded his pre-payments and waived the 'fee'. Especially when you take into account the obscene salaries paid to the players and Barber.

Without meaning to sound insensitive, if you have genuinely applied for over 300 jobs, and have not been successful in any of them, then you must be doing something wrong. Are you getting interviews and failing the interviews, or are you not being selected for interviews?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why is it interest free? You are always paying up front for each game

Typically a supporter would pay the whole season ticket fee, for matches running August through May, in the preceding April or May. With the Albion, supporters do not have to find this lump sum in one hit if they don't want to. Other clubs have offered similar schemes, but opting to pay in instalments has always attracted an additional fee. Call it interest, call it administration or whatever you like, but if you didn't pay up front with a lump sum, you had to pay more.

I'm pretty sure the Albion were the first club to allow payment by way of instalments for the same total outlay as lump sum payers. I believe other clubs have or will follow suit due to the success of our scheme.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Has this guy actually emailed Barber and explained the situation? I'd be surprised if he had and got a negative response. And I don't really see how anyone can say that Barber is being paid an obscene salary, his job is to save the club about £10 million a year, if he can do this, why should he be paid an average salary? Surely he should be entitled to a decent chunk of those savings? Paying an average Championship player £10k a week is obscene, the money that Barber earns for the job he does isn't.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Has this guy actually emailed Barber and explained the situation? I'd be surprised if he had and got a negative response. And I don't really see how anyone can say that Barber is being paid an obscene salary, his job is to save the club about £10 million a year, if he can do this, why should he be paid an average salary? Surely he should be entitled to a decent chunk of those savings? Paying an average Championship player £10k a week is obscene, the money that Barber earns for the job he does isn't.

Exactly....i'd be surprised as well if there wasn't some sort of gesture.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Without meaning to sound insensitive, if you have genuinely applied for over 300 jobs, and have not been successful in any of them, then you must be doing something wrong. Are you getting interviews and failing the interviews, or are you not being selected for interviews?

Nope, that isn't insensitive. Without wishing to divert the thread from the original theme around the club making immoral charges, the problem is the sheer weight of numbers applying for each available role. Each role I go for gets around 30-40 applicants. I tailor my CV and covering letter each time. I feel sorry for those people that are going for the jobs with a 100+ applicants.

Unless you're out there then you really don't know how difficult it is at the moment. I've never known it so bad in 25+ years of working.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

He's paid over £400k - I've worked in companies that turnover £5bn a year and their senior managers don't earn that. FFS, the PM doesn't and he runs UK Ltd. Yes, it is obscene.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's paid over £400k - I've worked in companies that turnover £5bn a year and their senior managers don't earn that. FFS, the PM doesn't and he runs UK Ltd. Yes, it is obscene.

He's not a Senior Manager, he's the Chief Executive. Surely the Chief Executive in companies you've worked for that turn over £5bn a year must have earnt more than £400k pa?

Feb 28, 2006
Eastleigh
A mate of mine has just lost his job and cant afford the monthly DD payments for the forthcoming season for him and his son. Apparently to cancel the season tickets the club are asking him for £50 cancellation fee per ticket !

Bit excessive, especially considering his situation !

Well I hope this helps, I just cancelled mine and my sons as we are about to emigrate, I explained why I was cancelling and that i'd been a lifelong supporter and that I was going to miss my regular trips to see the Albion. I had cancelled my direct debit just before payment 3 this month and was told to put it in an email to the club, I was warned this may result in a charge. But when I got a reply from the club 2 days later they said they were sorry they were losing us and good luck with the move etc, quite a good personal email I thought and then low and behold 3 days later in the post I actually got a refund of part of my first two payments, on this occasion I think the club have acted superbly :clap2:

My god i'm going to miss The Albion but hopefully still follow them from afar thanks to how things have moved on in the world

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here