Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5 years ago tonight, one of the great 'away' nights

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Watched this in Spain, La Mata worst floods in 40 odd years that night still made it to the pub though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Lovely to see a quality assist from Solly, after spending much of today being less than positive towards the fella.

IIRC him coming on changed the game as they’d marked Knocky out of the game for 70 mins or whatever then had to completely change tack as he was a threat on the other side.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
No I think he fell in love with the place when Harry Redknapp offered him more money than a Premier League club was willing to pay him. To be fair if Harry was offering me what it's rumoured he was paying Stockdale I'd fall in love with place too (well tell people I had anyway).

Redknapp went loopy with the cheque book there and not just with Stockdale. Check N’doye is rumoured to be on £35k a week having been plucked from obscurity from Ligue 1, and sent back there on loan very soon afterwards. Whooo? Exactly. That’s why that club has no money and breached FFP, all a leaving gift from Harry’s brief time there. And why good young players like Jack Butland, Che Adams, Demarai Gray, Nathan Redmond, Jude Bellingham etc have all been sold. They don’t have a Tony Bloom, just faceless owners from the Far East who make Stanley and Bellotti look like a dream team.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
It was a brilliant, brilliant night. I worked at a school less than 2 miles from the Blues ground and many staff were Blues fans. The team were about 6th/7th when they unbelievably swapped managers the day before the game. I was dreading it when we were a goal down with not long left but what a finish to the game and yes like said before that memory of Glenn running the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of us was fantastic. A great season!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
We went to a pub around the back somewhere before the game (The Cricketers?), hadn't seen a lick of paint or a duster for about 30 years, that's including the 'barmaids'.
Paid something stupid like £2.20 a pint.

What a fantastic night to follow, that's when I knew we were going up!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
We went to a pub around the back somewhere before the game (The Cricketers?), hadn't seen a lick of paint or a duster for about 30 years, that's including the 'barmaids'.

That’s one of the few pubs in the area that will take away fans - you actually made a good choice!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Probably the most intimidating boozer I’ve been to

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Lovely to see a quality assist from Solly, after spending much of today being less than positive towards the fella.

We were at that game. It wasn’t just the assist from Solly. Birmingham defenders couldn’t get near him. There were a couple (really that few) of Brummie chavs giving the away end some abuse shortly before Murray scored that goal and made that run the length of the pitch. One of my favourite BHA moments ever.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Good memories!

I’ve thing that stood out to me was the positioning of the players, the intensity, (lack of) closing down and the general speed of play. The team now is miles ahead of that championship side.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Looking at the away end it looked rather empty. I was there and remember it differently. Wasn't it live on Sky and they put on a special coach for a few lucky supporters?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
We drove up and spent the afternoon drinking in a home pub near the ground. How times have changed since the 80s !

Which pub was that? I have a lot of family links with that area so know it pretty well - most pubs round there are not very away fan friendly but it does depend on the opposition. I imagine Albion fans would not have the same issues round there that fans of some other clubs would!

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
My son reckons it was the greatest night of his life: he was mascot; we won; he got Knocky’s shirt and we watched MOTD in our hotel beds eating pizza - a wonderful day for an 11 year old.

That is wonderful and put such a smile on my face. I Godwilling can’t wait to make similar memories with my daughter. Posh away 2012 still remains one of my favourite moments in life: on the terraces with my dad, Buckley late winner followed by 7 minutes of non-stop singing. On way back to train we got the last two sausage, cheese and bean melts from Gregg’s. I was 20 at the time but it still doesn’t get much better than that for a father and son!

Was there at Brum. Beautiful memories when Muzza scored. I was in one of the emptier aisles and went barmy, jumping up and down along the full length of it! What a season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Which pub was that? I have a lot of family links with that area so know it pretty well - most pubs round there are not very away fan friendly but it does depend on the opposition. I imagine Albion fans would not have the same issues round there that fans of some other clubs would!

Can’t remember I’m afraid. A quick Google makes me think it was the Cricketers as we parked in a car park quite close. I remember we walked past a less pleasant looking pub but were encouraged into the one we went to by people standing at the door (despite Albion scarves). It was quite small inside if that helps.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looking at the away end it looked rather empty. I was there and remember it differently. Wasn't it live on Sky and they put on a special coach for a few lucky supporters?

I went on the Costa Express, and was sitting right behind the goal. It wasn’t empty but it wasn’t full either.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You can often get that impression if the first few rows are a bit sparse, even if it’s packed further back. Same happens in ESL when we’re on telly and the weather’s a bit crap.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

It was live on Sky. I was staying in Wigan and watched it in a pub. There was a Premier League game on as well and it was packed with people watching that game (either Utd or Liverpool) but one screen near the toilets had our match on and I was sat by myself watching it. The other game finished, the pub went quiet and started to empty then we scored! I was the only one cheering!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I remember us singing to PIG "Oscar Garcia, he's coming for you....."

Well, I remember the most persistent chant being about how sh!t Southern Rail are. But, as to the thread, spot on. That was about my favourite away day. I think it was probably eclipsed by the MASSIVE home game though that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here