Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 Week Trials

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
25 years ago when i was playing boys football, simply getting a trial somewhere was a massive thing and you had to be incredibly good, i think i heard of only 2 or 3 boys that got trials and they were at Southampton.

We were playing to the top standard of sussex boys football at the time, and that's how rare it was.

Now its a simple numbers game pretty much, it seems any lad with half an ounce of talent now gets invited along to a club for a... trial

I ofcourse wish him all the luck in the world :)

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
I'm following a trial and it's been on going for 6 years. It's started back up last week and have called 300 jurors in and 160 have been excused. Will continue this evening.

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
Definitely! One kid from last years U16s is at Aston Villa, and a kid from the year above, is now a scholar at Peterborough. They're just two that I know of!

Them and a lad that didn't get offered a scholar is at Wimbeldon. Another mate of mine is playing first team for Eastbourne, not bad is it!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
25 years ago when i was playing boys football, simply getting a trial somewhere was a massive thing and you had to be incredibly good, i think i heard of only 2 or 3 boys that got trials and they were at Southampton.

We were playing to the top standard of sussex boys football at the time, and that's how rare it was.

Now its a simple numbers game pretty much, it seems any lad with half an ounce of talent now gets invited along to a club for a... trial

I ofcourse wish him all the luck in the world :)

Back then didn't each area have a representative schoolboy team? Might be that the scouts just watched those teams. Seems to be more youth football around these days so they spread the net wider.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Definitely! One kid from last years U16s is at Aston Villa, and a kid from the year above, is now a scholar at Peterborough. They're just two that I know of!

But thats a good outcome for both and doesnt undermine the reputation of BHA youth system, it probably enahnces it, that if released they would still hold a status to be regarded as good enough at another club.

I think the lad that got released and went to Aston Villa, didnt get signed there and has since been resigned by BHA, and great news for the lad gone to Peterborough, but less of a problem for the decision makers at BHA as that is probably seen as a lower status club, so nothing to blame from the decision makers for those.

Great for both really and not a negative for the club and great for the kids, win win.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
But thats a good outcome for both and doesnt undermine the reputation of BHA youth system, it probably enahnces it, that if released they would still hold a status to be regarded as good enough at another club.

I think the lad that got released and went to Aston Villa, didnt get signed there and has since been resigned by BHA, and great news for the lad gone to Peterborough, but less of a problem for the decision makers at BHA as that is probably seen as a lower status club, so nothing to blame from the decision makers for those.

Great for both really and not a negative for the club and great for the kids, win win.

The one who went to Peterborough, everyone who knows him including the people who played with him were extremely surprised he didn't get signed up. But I'm not sure about the Aston Villa one so I'll take your word for it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here