5 favourite Worthing pubs?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Taking into account my age, 63, most of the pubs I visited have either been knocked down or changed their names.

My frequent haunts in the 60s were;

The Clifton when Nobby & Kit Clarke had it
The Jolly Brewers with Reg & Fred Streeter ( Fred worked for Hills undertakers part time)
The Central with Ginger and Beattie Haynes.
The Dragoon because it was opposite the Music Centre
The Cobden in Cobden Road as it was then because it was a good football pub with most of Northbrook Old Boys FC , the Petts and Bonettis using it.

They were all boozers not poncy wine bars as most are now.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Dougal said:
scum hole. The swan is prob your best bet from newlands road

The castle - on the corner by the Co-op is quite good bit of a wander well 10 mis but worth it - opposite what used to be Flappers -Which i was upset to see has been knocked down!!!!!

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
Cheers.

From where I am Castle is only a 2 min walk tops.

A few people have mentioned The Swan so might take a look next few days.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Squiggsy said:
Cheers.

From where I am Castle is only a 2 min walk tops.

A few people have mentioned The Swan so might take a look next few days.

Would advise you avoid the Jack Horner though, never been in the Swan.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
cannedheat said:
Jack Horner is OK if you are broad minded and not homophobic

I was actually thinking of before it became a gay pub - it used to rough as fcuk in there.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Gully said:
How about the Inn on the Prom, remember seeing a few live bands in there, is that still there and was it really a pub?

Some of the names on this thread have me reminiscing about some drunken and debauched times in and around Worthing in the early to mid 90's, for that I thank you all very much. The Tiroler bar, what a pathetic attempt to recreate Austria in the middle of a hideous shopping centre, only those with the most vivid imagination could see it for anything other than a dump.

Used to quite like it in there often popped in on way to Rutherfords if we'd been in Cloisters - Anyone remember the dodgy steep stairs down to the toilets though - accident waiting to happen after a few too many ales.....

Yoda

English & European
Goring Gull said:
Used to quite like it in there often popped in on way to Rutherfords if we'd been in Cloisters - Anyone remember the dodgy steep stairs down to the toilets though - accident waiting to happen after a few too many ales.....

Still there if and when open.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
The Wheatsheaf
The Vine
The George and Dragon
The Rest
The Half Brick

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Brought up in Worthing but now moved away so probably not the best person to judge. However whenever I visit my parents I always make a trip to the Vine and the George and Dragon. Loved the Thieves Kitchen and the Warwick from the 80's.

It frightens me that I my younger days I happily drank in some of the pubs other have bad memories about namely - Downview, Clifton and the Ham.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Didn't the Bristol and West building society on Chapel Road used to be a pub... The ship or something, before my time but i remeber my Dad saying something about it.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Now...

The George & Dragon
The Coach & Horses
Ye Olde House
The Villager
North Star

And then.......

The Fountain (used to work there)
Cloisters
Kazbah
Chapmans
Towns Pride
Tiroler
Smugglers (Rustington)

Can you see the difference? 10 years ago - the town, now wont go there as too many Chavs and low lifes. Worthing has become a bit of a shithole.

Rambo said:
Now...

The George & Dragon
The Coach & Horses
Ye Olde House
The Villager
North Star

And then.......

Cloisters
Kazbah
Chapmans
Towns Pride
Tiroler
Smugglers (Rustington)

Can you see the difference? 10 years ago - the town, now wont go there as too many Chavs and low lifes. Worthing has become a bit of a shithole.

I am living in Worthing at the moment seems ok to me, as regards it being a shithole you have not had the pleasure of some of the places I have resided in over the years.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Rambo said:
Now...

The George & Dragon
The Coach & Horses
Ye Olde House
The Villager
North Star

And then.......

Cloisters
Kazbah
Chapmans
Towns Pride
Tiroler
Smugglers (Rustington)

Smugglers my grandparents live in a house virtually opposite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports