Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 Best players of the Amex era

Dec 29, 2011
Bridge
Upson
Ulloa
Kayal;
Bridcutt

Didnt include Vicente who was very good, possibly the best player ever to play for us in recent years because he didnt play often enough.

BensGrandad just chose the same 5 players as me :nono: . Time to hang up my proverbial NSC boots and call it a day?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bridge
Upson
Ulloa
Kayal;
Bridcutt

Didnt include Vicente who was very good, possibly the best player ever to play for us in recent years because he didnt play often enough.

Replace Bridcutt with Bruno or Barnes, and l agree with you, especially re Vicente, who due to various unconfirmed reasons, just didn't spend long enough on the pitch, (Charlie Oatway tells an amusing story as to why).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Vicente and Ulloa are without doubt the stand out top 2.

Add King Kayal, and Bridge in the next level.

After that it is tougher, I go for Stephens, but Upson and Bruno come close.

Calderon and Zamora are just demi gods of course.

XI :

Stockdale

Bruno
Upson
Greer
Bridge

Buckley
Kayal
Stephens
Vicente

Ulloa
Zamora

Knockaert I'm sure will push Buckley for his place :rock:

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Christ, I forgot about Upson, another 'over the hill' player we didn't want, I was gutted, absolutely gutted when he joined Leicester.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
If this is a list of the 5 best players we've had whilst at the Amex, I'd go with the following.

1. Vicente - Obviously by far the best player we have had play for us whilst at the Amex. Just such a shame we only got to see him a handful of times.
2. Bridge - Oozed class.
3. Bridcutt - I think the system we played at the time suited him perfectly. He was absolutely brilliant for us, the first name on the team sheet week in week out.
4. Bruno - Still looks every bit as good now as he did in his first season with us. A joy to watch.
5. Ulloa - Although he frustrated at times, he was a great player. If we had him for the whole of his first season with us, I think we'd have got automatic promotion that year.

Kayal, Stephens and Stockdale are undoubtedly very good players, and would feature in my top 10, alongside Upson and Tex.

I don't get the Buckley love-in - although he had the capability to scare defenders, he was so frustrating to watch most of the time.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Another one for:

Vicente (eyes are moist just typing the name - the fact that he didn't play so much is irrelevant: for the Romantics out there, he IS the fabulously bittersweet embodiment of something unbelievable we had within our grasp that flickered briefly and then disappeared. He is the benchmark for what we could or may never be)
Ulloa
Bridcutt
Kayal
Bridge

luge

Dec 18, 2010
1. Bruno - I always thought he was classy, and I'd say he's got another year left in him. Brilliant player.
2. Bridcutt - I don't get the hate. A premier league club, and a manager who loved him, wanted to take him. Because he was consistently amazing for us.
3. Ulloa - He had presence we hadn't had for a long time. One of the best signings we have ever made.
4. Kayal - Has quickly established himself as the best midfielder the club has ever had.
5. March - Controversial? Maybe, but his form pre injury was unlike anything I has seen from anybody else. He will be a premier league star, maybe international.

Honourable Mentions:

Spanish Dave - For half a season, his dead ball ability and passing was glorious.
Orlandi - Again, great delivery. Beckhamesque.
Vicente - Amazing player. Always injured.
Greer - Has been very solid for many years. Solid don't win prizes though.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Probably easier to make a team;

-------------- Stockdale -----------
Bruno - Upson - Greer - Bridge
---------- Bridcutt - Kayal---------
Buckley -- Vicente -- Texeria
------------- - Ulloa --------------

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Probably easier to make a team;

-------------- Stockdale -----------
Bruno - Upson - Greer - Bridge
---------- Bridcutt - Kayal---------
Buckley -- Vicente -- Texeria
------------- - Ulloa --------------

I'm getting moist just reading that.... We would surely walk the league with this team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here