Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 5 attempts to get blood sample at hospital - anybody beat that?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I had to get some bloodwork done today and it took 5 attempts to find a vein to draw blood. I do normally have to have about 2 tries and on my left arm as right one always seems to be a problem. It wasn't the nurses fault - 3 tried (apparently after 2 attempts another nurse is called to try) before success at the 5th attempt. I don't have a fear of needles but after about 15 minutes and 5 times of them wiggling the needle about in my arm to try to find a co-operative vein I was getting a bit frustrated and my arm was getting pretty sore. They think it was the cold weather that caused the problem. Apparently the next option would have been to try the back of the hand as the veins there are more pronounced.

Just wondered if anybody else has had similar problems.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
When I was in Worthing hospital aprox 3 years ago with severe sciatica they asked if a student doctor could “have a go” at taking a blood sample- I think she had about 3 goes in each arm and I ended up looking like a pin cushion!
It would have been quite uncomfortable but I was in so much pain I didn’t really care and to be honest I was glad of the distraction.
Eventually the nurse appeared and gave her a good telling off for not letting anyone know she was struggling and promptly got straight in at first attempt.
The poor student doctor was mortified and so apologetic but I found the whole thing mildly amusing in the circumstances but I was left black and blue for the next week

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I had some bloods done a couple of weeks ago, first in years. When I rolled up my sleeve the nurse let out a "oh wow look at that vein". Felt like a vampire victim, lol. I have quite pronounced veins in my arms for some reason. Her reaction makes more sense now that you post this.

Not an expert but I have seen a catheter in the back of my aunt when she was on Chemo.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When I was in Worthing hospital aprox 3 years ago with severe sciatica they asked if a student doctor could “have a go” at taking a blood sample- I think she had about 3 goes in each arm and I ended up looking like a pin cushion!
It would have been quite uncomfortable but I was in so much pain I didn’t really care and to be honest I was glad of the distraction.
Eventually the nurse appeared and gave her a good telling off for not letting anyone know she was struggling and promptly got straight in at first attempt.
The poor student doctor was mortified and so apologetic but I found the whole thing mildly amusing in the circumstances but I was left black and blue for the next week
I had to get some bloodwork done today and it took 5 attempts to find a vein to draw blood. I do normally have to have about 2 tries and on my left arm as right one always seems to be a problem. It wasn't the nurses fault - 3 tried (apparently after 2 attempts another nurse is called to try) before success at the 5th attempt. I don't have a fear of needles but after about 15 minutes and 5 times of them wiggling the needle about in my arm to try to find a co-operative vein I was getting a bit frustrated and my arm was getting pretty sore. They think it was the cold weather that caused the problem. Apparently the next option would have been to try the back of the hand as the veins there are more pronounced.

Just wondered if anybody else has had similar problems.
Showed my daughter this - not remotely impressed. Five is completely normal for some patients o_O

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
I had to have blood tests three/four times a week during the last few months of my pregnancy and they quite often struggled and had to use the back of my hand. It wasn't very pleasant.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I had sepsis when I was younger which required a lengthy hospital stay - they decided I’d be a good Guinea pig for student doctors and nurses to have a go on as I was being prodded and poked on a daily basis anyway.

When I eventually left about a month later both my arms looked like pin cushions.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
6 or 7 times when I went in for an emergency hernia op 2 years ago. The trainee tried to take blood but I was too dehydrated so I had to drink a silly amount. Ended up going from back of my hands.

The taking bloods part didn't feel that invasive the next day when I was having a tube stuck up my Sean Lock

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Was in hospital for six weeks and one or two blood tests a DAY! Soon realised it's all about hydration, keep well hydrated before going for a test.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Showed my daughter this - not remotely impressed. Five is completely normal for some patients o_O
Yep, thanks for the reminder. I'm in hospital first thing Monday morning for life changing surgery. Lots of injections, but hopefully worth it. :)

Oh shit, I'm getting a bit scared now. Not the needles, but other things.:(

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Had a very similar situation when I went in for an op in my teens. Minus the nurse having a go.

I don't mind having students do this stuff because they've got to learn it on someone but my word it took some time.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
My mrs was a phlebotomist at the RSCH many moons ago.

She says that the difference in veins between people is surprisingly great - think of fire hose under pressure compared to virtually empty. There's a much bigger aperture to aim for, so a greater chance of success in the bigger, more pronounced veins.

Lots of reasons for the differences, but as already mentioned, being well-hydrated helps, as does heat (though won't necessarily overcome medical or physiological reasons for less pronounced veins so for some people, venipuncture will always be tricky).

Taking blood from babies was the hardest apparently - small veins to aim for, can't be asked to stay still and high pressure with usually (understandably) emotional parents looking over her shoulder!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If you have ever had arterial blood taken from your wrist, you would never complain about venal blood from your arm.
The young doctor who did mine tried for 20 minutes, couldn’t find the artery, a more senior Doc had a go at my other wrist and after 10 minutes and numerous more attempts she succeeded. Straight after, what was a very painful half hour, they whacked a load of morphine into me.

I wish they’d done it before they tried to take blood.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here