Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 a side tournaments - Brighton Centre

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Anybody remember the tournaments held each year at the Brighton centre involving our county league teams. The Albion also played a match each year, only team o recall them playing was Southampton. Can anybody recall these matches ?

J2 BHA

Jul 28, 2004
Absolutely, really enjoyed those. Seem to recall them being played at Worthing Leisure centre for a couple of years after they stopped doing it at the centre.

Does anyone rmember that huge coloured guy called Herbie that used to play? Think he played for Wick or maybe Shoreham, always gave me a chuckle as he was massive but actually quite good and loved putting his foot in!

Good times.

Aug 9, 2008
I remember seeing them, it was an annual six-a-side tournament for county league teams and Brighton always played in a friendly match just before the final from memory it was either Palarse or Southampton that were the opposition. Kevin Keegan played in goal for Southampton one year.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Absolutely, really enjoyed those. Seem to recall them being played at Worthing Leisure centre for a couple of years after they stopped doing it at the centre.

Does anyone rmember that huge coloured guy called Herbie that used to play? Think he played for Wick or maybe Shoreham, always gave me a chuckle as he was massive but actually quite good and loved putting his foot in!

Good times.

Herbie Smith, I remember him. Absolute headcase; great player though. Must have played for half the teams in the County League by the time he retired, I reckon. He was certainly at Littlehampton Town for a while in the mid-late 1980's, used to watch him quite regularly there before I was old enough to go to The Goldstone.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Did anyone see Neil McNab fighting with Alan Ball?

Man, I wish I was there to see it.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
I remember going the year we played Palarse, game was held up for a few minutes while they cleared away all the crap we were chucking at John Burridge.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Herbie Smith turned out for Ringmer in the late nineties. Must of been about 40 then. Absolute beast, shat myself everytime he came near me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here