Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 4th Test v India

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What sort of message to a young player like Pope, keep runless Cook and Jennings and drop one of the most talented players in the country. Burns at Surrey once again scores over 1,000 runs in a season and yet we open with two walking wickets.
While I'm moaning, not only drop Pope but don't give him enough time to go back and play for his county, how is he meant to gain form when he's not playing.
Pathetic.
I know I'm a biased Rey supporter.

Fair point.
How many more chances is Jennings going to be given? He is stiff, lacks foot movement and keeps ' nibbling ' outside off-stump. He gets into double figures but can't go beyond 20-30. Bowlers have worked him out and know its just a matter of time. Cook is a shadow of the player he once was and struggles all the time to convert a decent start into a substantial score.
More cheap words from Root, saying his batsmen are " very hungry " to prove themselves in the Fourth Test. Well lets see how hungry they are to occupy the crease and play like proper Test players, rather than keep playing as if they have a train to catch and shedding wickets like autumn leaves. To be bowled out in a session was disgraceful and the third time they have done it in the last two years ( it hadn't happened to any England side for the previous 78 years )
We need to start searching for and moulding our Test side around players with the right mental attitude for Test Cricket rather than pack it full of gung ho one day wonders, who chase everything from the first ball, get out to extravagant shots and walk off to wild applause for cameo 30's made in ultra quick time.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
Root wins the toss and England will bat.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
At what stage do you stop selecting Cook on past history? I'm not convinced about his own dedication to the cause, wasn't he lambing on his Essex farm a couple of weeks before touring NZ surely be needs time in the middle scoring runs not producing cute little lambs. With the central contracts you could argue players have become complacent and are playing less cricket.

Test batting records 2018.

Cook..........8...matches....14...innings.....269 runs......HS..70....Av...19.21
Jennings....4...matches.....6....innings.....123 runs......HS..42....Av....20.50

Other averages....Woakes 44.60....Bess 37.00...Curran 36.75...Vince 34.25.

Enough said.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Fair point.
How many more chances is Jennings going to be given? He is stiff, lacks foot movement and keeps ' nibbling ' outside off-stump. He gets into double figures but can't go beyond 20-30. Bowlers have worked him out and know its just a matter of time. Cook is a shadow of the player he once was and struggles all the time to convert a decent start into a substantial score.
More cheap words from Root, saying his batsmen are " very hungry " to prove themselves in the Fourth Test. Well lets see how hungry they are to occupy the crease and play like proper Test players, rather than keep playing as if they have a train to catch and shedding wickets like autumn leaves. To be bowled out in a session was disgraceful and the third time they have done it in the last two years ( it hadn't happened to any England side for the previous 78 years )
We need to start searching for and moulding our Test side around players with the right mental attitude for Test Cricket rather than pack it full of gung ho one day wonders, who chase everything from the first ball, get out to extravagant shots and walk off to wild applause for cameo 30's made in ultra quick time.

I like the cut of your jib sir.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
Jennings gone for 0 :nono:

No shot at Bumrah... that was smashing into middle :nono:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I didn't see it, but cricinfo described it as a "brain freeze" as opposed to receiving an unplayable one.

Bit of both on reflection. Bumrah got one to properly hoop the other way - he certainly wouldn't have been expecting it (because Bumrah's never done it and everything else had gone away from Jennings). Swung miles as well, at pace. Looked awful though - like a clueless Village Cricketer.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
LBW appeal against Root - looked out - not given - reviewed - NO BALL which wasn't called - was hitting middle and leg #shambles

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
Root LBW - given - looked out - reviewed - wasted :nono:

15-2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here