Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] 4K Curved TVs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, it’s the emperor's new clothes scenario, and as you say 3D TV’s have died a death.

I’ve got an 8 year old 42 in plasma that still does a decent job, but when I do upgrade it will only be for a 42 1080p LED.

Which is exactly what I have. A Panasonic 42" 1080p LED, which was an upgrade from the 37" Philips LCD I had before. The difference with watching a Blu-Ray in particular is certainly noticeable.

I'm not sure about this 4G lark yet. I'm 44. I'm not sure how much more definition my eyes are gonna take.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn't know it had! Good news if so as I thought it would.

Sky have all but binned their 3D content now. They still pay lip service to it with a couple of channels, but I don't think they even bother broadcasting football in 3D now. If they do, they certainly don't plug it any more.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I have a Panasonic 4K and the picture is noticeably better on HD content and the little 4K that there is.

BT Sport do some 4K football but only if you have one of their boxes (I watch through a sky box).

Sky will launch 4K but I think it's tied up in them wanting to start doing all their broadcasting online by putting internet through your dish which would then be connected by fibre? To a new type of box.

Not sure how far away that all is though. It will be a bit of a revolution as you will no longer need a BT phone line for broadband.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
3D - soon lost gimmick

HD - Winner winner, here to stay

4K - not so sure, not too much difference to HD to the average eye I would suggest.

VHS - too much lag and hard to find the right spot

DVD - too much storage space

Apple - provide the answer to everything

Your old school preserved-in-aspic views would be amusingly quaint if you hadn't concluded with that apple bilge! :lolol:

Back in the real world technology will forge on at an ever relentless pace; over the next 2 years:

OLED

QLED possibly

HDR Definitely

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Thanks for your comments folks. This has helped a lot! You can always rely on NSC :)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Do like shopping at John Lewis especially as they offer longer guarantees and good customer services. Just brought a 40inch Sony LED and a PS4 the other day along with my 12.5% discount. Very happy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't like curved TVs. They're a bit of a fad, like avocado bathrooms. They're not better than flat TVs, they're worse, although they can look alright in some living rooms.

4k is unnecessary for most TV sizes at most viewing distances, you can't see the difference:
http://bgr.com/2015/09/18/720p-vs-1080p-vs-4k-resolution/

Personally, the level of black is the most important differentiation between big TVs for me. Most LCDs don't cut it.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Do like shopping at John Lewis especially as they offer longer guarantees and good customer services. Just brought a 40inch Sony LED and a PS4 the other day along with my 12.5% discount. Very happy.

John Lewis are good, but the best value is to wait until at least Black Friday, or preferably after Christmas, when the sales start. Richer Sounds will beat John Lewis on price most of the time. Ex-display and ex-service models are cheaper ( an extra 10% off for VIP Club members - register on-line) and there will still be a full 5 years (at least) warranty on these items. Check what you ( think you) are after against Which? reports and What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision articles ( also available on-line). Buying a high-spec year old model ex-display will save lots of money and still be relatively future-proof - HD or UltraHD

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Chuff me, when they run out of new ideas they'll try and sell you a "retro" telly like this, black and white and you can hardly see the picture. Then the process will start over again.

1950_PHILCO_T1403_12inch_TV.JPG

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Yep, this is the biggest problem with 4K, very limited on actually getting anything at that resolution. I have a 4K TV and like this poster only get 4K through Netflix

I've just got a 4K and when you watch 4K via Netflix there is a massive difference to standard 1080 hd.
Just need sky to bring out their 4K box now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
To appreciate 4k you needed a very big telly, the average UK dwelling is 90 square meters. You've gotta be rich or have incredible eyesight

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I don't like curved TVs. They're a bit of a fad, like avocado bathrooms. They're not better than flat TVs, they're worse, although they can look alright in some living rooms.

4k is unnecessary for most TV sizes at most viewing distances, you can't see the difference:
http://bgr.com/2015/09/18/720p-vs-1080p-vs-4k-resolution/

Personally, the level of black is the most important differentiation between big TVs for me. Most LCDs don't cut it.

Which is why my Panasonic 46" HD Plasma will remain on my wall until it doesn't work anymore. Both LCD's and LED's don't cut the mustard with black levels quite the way the last Plasma tech did.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is why my Panasonic 46" HD Plasma will remain on my wall until it doesn't work anymore. Both LCD's and LED's don't cut the mustard with black levels quite the way the last Plasma tech did.
Exactly. Which is why, if my plasma died, I'd go and by another second hand Pioneer Kuro.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here