Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Typical shitty Daily Fail click bait.

Quote 1

"So who, objectively, are the biggest clubs in England? We’ve used no opinion, just hard evidence to determine the answers... "

Quote 2

"The outcome might surprise you. It will certainly provoke debate."

What's the point in debating something that's based purely on facts and no opinion? It would be indisputable wouldn't it.

File alongside "Samantha Brick upsets mummy bloggers with pseudo vain parody" and "another desperate article from Melanie Phillips misleading middle England over MMR"

Dec 29, 2011
Player quality

We counted the number of players from each club who have played for England, all-time, ranking the clubs by total. This reflects historic ‘bigness’. We then ranked the clubs by the number of players provided to the 2014 World Cup — a measure of modern ‘bigness’. The overall ranking is an aggregate of these two.

Crowds

We ranked all clubs on the size of their average gates during this season to reflect contemporary pull. Then we ranked each club by the size of their biggest historic gates. Their overall crowd rank is an aggregate of current pull and also potential based on past highs.
Sounds to me like the whole thing is bullshit. They seem to have put as little effort into this as possible.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Those global fanbase rankings look a bit dodgy to me - Dirty L**ds 23rd only two ahead of Reading and Scumhampton 11th!!!

Exactly. Reading and Southampton struggle to have a fanbase outside their own towns. Not that I'm convinced about our global reach ...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's all bit blindfolded pin the tail on the donkey, isn't it ???

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Leeds having a smaller global fanbase than Palace, Hull & QPR is laughable
Our crowds & income will rise yearly so we should ease upwards, I remain less certain about the trophy count

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly. Reading and Southampton struggle to have a fanbase outside their own towns. Not that I'm convinced about our global reach ...
Southampton's fanbase extends as far as ours does. Basingstoke is way north and ought to be Reading territory but 20 years when I was living in Winchester, Basingstoke and Andover were both Southampton strongholds and both are much further away than, say, Crawley is from Brighton.

I should imagine Reading have eaten into their support in Basingstoke since the birth of il stadio della clackerstick, and they've probably hoovered up more floating support in the Didcot triangle that Swindon and Oxford used to take.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Under their contentious questions section:

Aren’t Leeds too low?

Leeds fans will point to the dominance of the Revie era and a Champions League semi-final in the not too distant past, to the size of Elland Road and their potential to be mighty whites again.

But there are 14 other teams with a better haul of major trophies. There are 11 others who have a higher all-time average league finish and 14 with bigger crowds when the current season and historic highs are both considered. Leeds rank only 25th of the 58 clubs in the study for the calibre of the players measured by all-time England players plus current global stars, and 23rd for global popularity, and 26th by income. They were giants for a time, some decades ago. But they are much diminished, for now.

I love that they have already got in a response for the inevitable meltdown from Dirty Leeds fans.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well, our global fan base is bigger than some others.

Can't argue on trophies.

Load of tosh but bound to result in 10 pages at least.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What relevance does performance from 1888 have in determining club status today. This clearly gives the original league members an advantage over clubs who gained league status later. Why is our victory over Aston Villa in 1910 not given points. Why no weighting to more recent performance.
On attendance why not based against % against capacity.........

Obviously a slow week in football reporting world.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't even be bothered to do any more than glance at it.

The Daily Mail sports website is an utter joke. This thing is leading as its "headline news" for christs sake -its not news at all. Its OBSESSED with Messi/Ronaldo/Bale, a day does not pass when they don't carry a headline "story" on one or all of these, whether they've actually done something or not. And for the last few days, its been leading with "The Biggest Shocks in Premier League History", which is just them dredging up old stories from YEARS ago. It is complete and utter dirge. All they ever seem to report on is who earns what, who drives what, who's girlfriend has tweeted what, who's had a haircut. Utter, utter pap.

The one saving grace is Martin Samuel, who I've been reading for years and is IMO consistently the best sportswriter out there. He is the ONLY reason I visit that ad-swamped stinking carcass of a website. God knows what he's doing at that pitiful excuse for a sportsdesk.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hey, lets try and quantify something which can't possibly be quantified and then see if people agree with how we've quantified it.

Brilliant.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think this thread is being overly critical of the table. The paper recognises it is a subjective exercise and has published their criteria. Personally, I think it is - by and large - a fairly accurate representation. Interestingly, by being in 44th place we make it into the second tier of English Football.

The weakest part of that table - and hardest to measure - is the global fanbase column. Personally, I'm not convinced that Leicester are more popular than Leeds or that Wigan are more popular than Wolves.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Global fan bases - Charlton 14 (what???), Fulham 15 (What?), QPR 16 (???), Hull 14 (??), Wigan 24(haha)

interesting...I'd put Wigan around 60th.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The one saving grace is Martin Samuel, who I've been reading for years and is IMO consistently the best sportswriter out there. He is the ONLY reason I visit that ad-swamped stinking carcass of a website. God knows what he's doing at that pitiful excuse for a sportsdesk.

I think the £700k a year they pay him might have something to do with it. He is an excellent writer though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here