Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

442...?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think tactically and after watching the Crawley and the Villareal game, people are going to be surprised with the interchanging of positions.

The "False 9" formation was definitely on show during the last two games.

When we had the ball going forward, it was interesting to see Orlandi, Crofts, Ulloa, Buckley & Barnes all interchanging positions so at one point, Orlandi and Crofts were the furthest central players pushed forward and Barnes & Ulloa dropping deeper to collect the ball.

If worked effectively, you create confusion in the defense (as it did in the first half against a good team Saturday). However, it can be a risky strategy to play if the players you have, don't have the intelligence to continually switch and cover.

Gus built a squad intelligent enough to cope with this system so that this evolution under Oscar has the personnel who are able to adapt to it.

If it pays off, we will see brilliant attacking football and lots of goals!

Happy days!

This has to be OG's plan - whether he will implement it straight away or build up to it is another matter. Confuse the opposition into submission and run/pass them off the park. Total football! Should be exciting stuff!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People get too hung up on formations. The formation is just a template, it's how the players act within that formation that matters and to that end they have all been given specific jobs by the manager (or at least they should have)

Watch the best teams and the players will switch around during the game. 4-4-2 can become 4-3-3 pretty easily. Fergies Utd teams were brilliant at it, but the masters were Guardiola's Barca team, the midfield 3 were totally interchangable everywhere on the pitch.

I agree with the OP's sentiment - that Barnes would be pretty effective playing closer to Ulloa. To pooh pooh the suggestion out of hand because of the squad on paper is ridiculous - it's the thinking of someone who's played too much football manager/championshp manager

*EDIT* - As supaseagull has pretty much already said!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would bloody love us to pressure the ball like Villareal did against us high up the pitch.

Were a good footballing side and had real trouble getting over the half way line at times, win the ball in those areas and we are in business.

If I can see us gradually turning into that sort of side I will be delighted.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would bloody love us to pressure the ball like Villareal did against us high up the pitch.

Were a good footballing side and had real trouble getting over the half way line at times, win the ball in those areas and we are in business.

If I can see us gradually turning into that sort of side I will be delighted.

Get better players, basically.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ah, don't worry then. Thread closed. Just like the idea of the likes of Barnes playing a bit closer to Ulloa.

In the unlikely event that we did play 442, then surely CMS must then finally start to become more important?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In the unlikely event that we did play 442, then surely CMS must then finally start to become more important?

There could become more of a use for him, yes. He still MASSIVELY needs to improve his first touch and learn not to run at the ball at 300mph when someone passes to him, though.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

There could become more of a use for him, yes. He still MASSIVELY needs to improve his first touch and learn not to run at the ball at 300mph when someone passes to him, though.

Gut feeling says he's gone in the January transfer window.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gut feeling says he's gone in the January transfer window.

If we get good money for him I hope so, partly for his own sake. He is good enough to be playing 1st team football at a side that suits his style of play. I could see him doing very well at Leeds or another similar club. Could be wrong but don't see him being an Oscar player particularly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will kick off Team CMS again, this season, as soon as he's approaching the action.

Ulloa really really impressed me (all of us) last season.
Keeping him and keeping him fit will pretty much shape the next couple of seasons.
Sure Koosh and LB are important, but used correctly Len is the difference.

He and CMS both suffered at times playing a 'must not lose' formation, marooned from the rest of the team.
Scoring almost in spite of the manager.

If any kind of partnership develops between Len and CMS, I firmly believe we'll see a £3.5m striker.

Could be wrong but don't see him being an Oscar player particularly.
As above.
Having a quick attacking unit playing through Ulloa, with CMS' pace (assuming he still has it) and eye for goal CMS ought to fill his boots. If he doesn't even I will quietly hang up my Team CMS tracksuit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As above.
Having a quick attacking unit playing through Ulloa, with CMS' pace (assuming he still has it) and eye for goal CMS ought to fill his boots. If he doesn't even I will quietly hang up my Team CMS tracksuit.

Quite. It'll be last chance saloon for CMS IF he gets to play alongside Ulloa. If he can't score then, he'll never score at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here