40 years ago tonight

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
yeah,amazing really,was only thinking a couple of days ago how the League Cup run early the following season was actually just that,40 years ago!

don't think Ipswich was all ticket,but have a feeling Derby was

Had to go to a reserve game against Charlton to buy a Derby ticket. I remember the official attendance for that reserve match was around 17,000.

el punal

N
Now I'll disagree with this. There was a really keen rivalry between the fans and a definite sense that they were a team that we desperately wanted to beat but I don't think there was complete loathing. Yes, there was hostility but that was standard for football in those days.

I think the real loathing and hostility started after the three cup ties later that year - that's when things really heated up. I remember travelling to the second cup replay with a Palace fan whom we met on the train - I couldn't imagine that he'd have been happy going on the tube with a bunch of Brighton supporters at the end of that game

OK, I'll amend that (mists of time!), the real loathing did start after the game. And, yes, my personal loathing of Palace became apparent after the Stamford Bridge cup replay. I have never been so incensed at a football match as immediately after that debacle.

Challis of Palace - pah!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
In my usual spot, standing on the fencing at the very back of the East terrace just short of being in line with the halfway line, best view in the house, but bloody wet when it rained!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Had to go to a reserve game against Charlton to buy a Derby ticket. I remember the official attendance for that reserve match was around 17,000.

Yep I remember that night; most people were just standing around talking to each other not taking much notice of the game. As for the Palace game, what a night as was any of them. Right behind the North Stand goal, 3/4 of the way back on the left of the concrete stairs. For most games back then, you had to get there very early to get the coveted spaces in the North. I can remember being in place at 1.30 for some games and the place would be heaving.

So happy to have been there for those great days and to have the memories locked away.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Wasn't a lot of the room in the North that game. But what an atmosphere.

Strange to think we had bigger crowds (before we started inflating the attendance figures for the sponsors) and without doubt a better atmosphere 40 years ago than we do now at a brand spanking new ground with a "Premier League Ready" squad and set-up.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Wasn't a lot of the room in the North that game. But what an atmosphere.

Strange to think we had bigger crowds (before we started inflating the attendance figures for the sponsors) and without doubt a better atmosphere 40 years ago than we do now at a brand spanking new ground with a "Premier League Ready" squad and set-up.
30p to get in ...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports