Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40 years ago tonight

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good grief was it really 40 years ago? I was with my friends in the East Stand.

Yep, remember the North responding to Palace's "Eagles" with "Seagulls" (only a few times that night if I remember correctly). We sang it in earnest at my first away game at Aldershot a few weeks later.

Don't think the match was All Ticket. (It was a long time ago).

el punal

One the best Albion occasions EVER for me. That night had it all - a massive crowd, an electric atmosphere, complete loathing and hostility between both sets of fans, an ordinary Division 3 fixture that was transformed into something like an FA Cup 6th round replay, and . . . . . . a 2-0 victory to the good guys and a double over Palace. We beat them at Selhurst 1-0 earlier in the season.

Oh boy, the bragging rights have never been so sweet! :albion2:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Good grief was it really 40 years ago? .

yeah,amazing really,was only thinking a couple of days ago how the League Cup run early the following season was actually just that,40 years ago!

don't think Ipswich was all ticket,but have a feeling Derby was

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I was there with my mate, his brother and obviously there Dad in the South

I was only 8 just ha ha

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
was it all ticket?

palace games were the only all ticket games back then

wish I'd kept the stubs now

remember my old man keeping them behind the clock on the mantelpiece

I'd keep checking they were still there

really was a novelty back then,to actually NEED a ticket for a Brighton game

I'm not sure if it was all ticket but I've still got my ticket stub from the chicken run that night so you obviously could buy tickets in advance.

el punal

Good grief was it really 40 years ago? I was with my friends in the East Stand.

Yep, remember the North responding to Palace's "Eagles" with "Seagulls" (only a few times that night if I remember correctly). We sang it in earnest at my first away game at Aldershot a few weeks later.

Don't think the match was All Ticket. (It was a long time ago).
I, too, went to the Aldershot game. The crowd was 11,000 ish of which I'll swear 8,000 were Albion fans and defininetly giving the "Seeeagullls!" chant a lot of airing. Strangely, before the game, we were in the pub and asked if they had any food. We've only got cheese rolls, came the reply. Cue all the Albion fans giving it "Cheeserolllzz!" loud and proud. Oh what fun!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I was there in the seats (well benches!) of the South Stand with my Dad.

That game is one of my earliest Albion memories - I think it was the night our Seagulls nickname was born as the North Stand sang "Seagulls" back in response to Palace's "Eagles" chant.
The chant of Seagulls came about Christmas 1974 in the Bosun and was sung at home games prior to the palarse game and it was only the North Stand singing it. This game the chant went around the ground and then some and that's why everyone remembers this game as the starts of the chant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That night had it all - a massive crowd, an electric atmosphere, complete loathing and hostility between both sets of fans ...

Now I'll disagree with this. There was a really keen rivalry between the fans and a definite sense that they were a team that we desperately wanted to beat but I don't think there was complete loathing. Yes, there was hostility but that was standard for football in those days.

I think the real loathing and hostility started after the three cup ties later that year - that's when things really heated up. I remember travelling to the second cup replay with a Palace fan whom we met on the train - I couldn't imagine that he'd have been happy going on the tube with a bunch of Brighton supporters at the end of that game

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
yeah,amazing really,was only thinking a couple of days ago how the League Cup run early the following season was actually just that,40 years ago!

don't think Ipswich was all ticket,but have a feeling Derby was

Yep. We had to buy Derby tickets at the Reserve game V Charlton. We had 17,000 at a Reserve game!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
One the best Albion occasions EVER for me. That night had it all - a massive crowd, an electric atmosphere, complete loathing and hostility between both sets of fans, an ordinary Division 3 fixture that was transformed into something like an FA Cup 6th round replay, and . . . . . . a 2-0 victory to the good guys and a double over Palace. We beat them at Selhurst 1-0 earlier in the season.

Oh boy, the bragging rights have never been so sweet! :albion2:

Absolutely this. One of the best home games ever. Scum in the south? Dogs & OB going in every 5 minutes. Smoke bombs? Very foggy night added to the atmosphere. Sammy Morgan - what a hero!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was in the East, as usual, not really clear about what was going on, my scolioticback playing up, but very excited :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here