Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was one of the Eureka moments. It just sounded perfect, just a single chant that could go on and on and Brighton by the sea with seagulls all around and it would get up the noses of Palarse fans (If I remember right).
Well I don't blame you if you can't remember exactly. I had always thought it was from a game against Palace, but assuming you remember right it happened before that, and it doesn't sound like it was that linked to Palace.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well I don't blame you if you can't remember exactly. I had always thought it was from a game against Palace, but assuming you remember right it happened before that, and it doesn't sound like it was that linked to Palace.

I'd always heard that the idea was hatched in the Bosun but that it was as a response to Palace's made-up 'Eagles' nickname (which was completely invented by the club rather than the fans in 1973, when Malcolm Allison also replaced their traditional claret and blue colours with a copy of Barcelona's kit of the time).

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
If you read the OP Argus it tells you that it was a direct response to Palarse. It was that game that the chant exploded. It was on the lips of young and old alike.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember the Bosun was a place you only went when with your big brother. True, proper hard lol

The Bosun gang, ah the memories.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
SSSSEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAGGUULLLSSSSSS !!!!!:bhasign:

Thanks lads !! :bowdown:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I remember that night as if it was yesterday - it remains one of my favourite Albion matches. The memory of the Seagulls chant gathering momentum and reverberating
around the Goldstone for the first ever time still shivers my timbers.
Likewise, although i was only a kid. Very exciting as were those times in general. The seagulls chant is not nearly sung enough these days. [emoji20]

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
All good lads and quite a few from Stanmer school, including Des Chapman who later went off to earn his fortune in Saudi but would come back all tanned and drive a few of us to away games.

As previously stated, palace had had Eagles for a few years but there was no rivalry until they dropped down to our division and thought they would lord it. They traveled down in large numbers & were loud and 'Dolphins' was hardly going to cut it as a rival chant.

I reckon most modern day songs & chants start with a few lads in a pub and then they grow and catch on. Happy memories of my Bo'sun days too.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought it was a spontaneous response rather than put through a committee and auditions.

I always thought it was a spontaneous response as well. I was in the Chicken Run that night. Didn't appreciate it had been planned. It was sung a few times in response to Eagles.

I went to my first ever away game at Aldershot a few weeks later, when "Seagulls" was sung in earnest.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I thought the Seagulls chant came about in '75 as a response to Palace's chant of Eagles?

Correct in the 2- 0 defeat of the scum . Sammy Morgan double.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Also that business of the Dolphins being our nickname was just a brief commercial tie in with the Dolphinarium. Prior to that the club would give our nofficial nickname as 'The Shrimps'
but to the fans we were always 'The Albion'.

Correct in the 2- 0 defeat of the scum . Sammy Morgan double.

The main chant of the night was"you're gonna kick your ..... heads kick in" This was in response to the palace lobbing smoke bombs from the south.
It lasted for ages as was sung by different parts of the north at the same time,after it was sung you could hear the silence in the south! And it did get lively afterwards:whistle:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you read the OP Argus it tells you that it was a direct response to Palarse.
Yes, but unless I'm very confused, you're telling me you were one of the group that came up with the name at a pub, and that wasn't really a mickey take of Palace, but more like an easy chant that fitted the team we were. It may have caught on because of a game against Palace, but it doesn't sound like that's the original inspiration.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Just an update on this post. I managed to find Lee Phillips, Jeff Walls and Pete Warland. These were the guys missing from the original Seagulls story, the group who came up with the name Seagulls in 1975. It took a bit of time and I only found Jeff Walls end of March. It has been 30 years plus since I last set eyes on these guys and a reunion was set up. Derek Chapman and BHA arranged for us all to meet up at the Fulham game in the 1901 lounge. The group were Lee Phillips, Jeff Walls, Pete Warland, Steve Smith, John & Kevin Bayley and of course Derek Chapman (BHA director). It was a great night capped by the 5-0 result. We had photos and a write-up, which will appear in the Derby matchday programme. There were even a few old faces from the Lamb and Flag in the lounge and we had a good chat with them. There was a quiz before the match where we managed to get joint top and won the quiz play-off, resulted in a bottle of champs for the table. So if you are interested in the story read the Derby programme.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Also that business of the Dolphins being our nickname was just a brief commercial tie in with the Dolphinarium. Prior to that the club would give our nofficial nickname as 'The Shrimps'
but to the fans we were always 'The Albion'.

:eek:What you mean my user name was only our nickname for 2 seasons. Blimey. That's the trouble with being a teenager time makes no sense.

I do remember walking past The Bosun with my Dad and always being a bit scared. It was full of very drunk skinheads. As can be seen from this thread you were obviously very kind, intelligent, sensitive types and I should have stopped for a chat.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
:eek:What you mean my user name was only our nickname for 2 seasons. Blimey. That's the trouble with being a teenager time makes no sense.

I do remember walking past The Bosun with my Dad and always being a bit scared. It was full of very drunk skinheads. As can be seen from this thread you were obviously very kind, intelligent, sensitive types and I should have stopped for a chat.
Was that Marcus and the old landlord looked like a bosun or pirate. A few bits hidden above the door:nono::wrong::catfight:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here