Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40 years ago today: Albion 1 Derby 1 (att. 33500)

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
One of my biggest memories was seeing an international defence: Todd, McFarland, Nish etc. being run ragged by our strikers. I think it was the night that I realised that we were on the verge of a new era for the club.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
Must have been around over 400 brighton having a knees up in the south stand,great night and the replay we crammed 60 odd onto a 53 seater coach those were the days. Its a shame we never get these big games anymore.

I was in the North that night and went to the replay.
My dad took me out of school to come on that coach for the replay, how did it ever get up Handcross Hill?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Cue....bedlam....I have never heard noise like it....the crowd was still cheering from our keeper's save when Wardy's shot blitzed into the net. It made the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Leighton James equalised and the game went to and fro but we couldn't conjure up a winner.
It was one of those special Goldstone nights, full house, good game and very, very loud. Will never forget it.

It was a fantastic atmosphere all right: I was in the North Stand for it and the crowd went completely crazy. But I reckon the atmosphere for the away game was even better, there was a massive Brighton presence and the singing scarcely stopped - even when we went two down. When Spider pulled a goal back, the noise went up to another level and it was Derby hanging on at the end. Possibly my favourite away game ever

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Don't remember much about the home game but for the away replay the Maytree hired a large removal-type van and it was turned into a mobile pub with tables and chairs from the pub. Remember going through South London with the back open singing songs and getting bladdered.

The locals thought it was highly amusing.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Was there as ever and for the replay , massive away following from us at the Baseball Ground . Travelled up in a Brighton Van Hire minibus , much good humoured misbehaviour at the services on the way up and on return journey . Arrived at one service station car park to be greeted by a fellow BVH minibus going round in circles with a fan with his trousers around his ankles holding on to the bonnet . Not a pretty but very funny sight. Great memories of a golden era .40 years where the hell did that go ? Wooooooosh !!!! Oh how I would love a time machine .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here