40 Greatest chokers in sport

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I imagine most people who were asked about that list would have seen the 81 Ashes as a great result for England rather than the convicts choking. It's all subjective.
Dirty Leeds still got promoted so they didn't choke too badly.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'd have thought Jim Peters' marathon run when he entered the stadium 17 minutes in front of the other runners, yet did not finish, would have featured.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd have thought Jim Peters' marathon run when he entered the stadium 17 minutes in front of the other runners, yet did not finish, would have featured.

That's scarcely choking though. I don't think someone pulling out for being ill or injured should count as choking - it surely be for someone who has winning in his/her/their sights and, for no physical reason, blows it.

For the same reason, I think it's a bit harsh putting Devon Loch on the list

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No Tim Henman against Goran Ivanisovich? Should definitely be in there above 2010 England football team, who were rubbish rather than chokers.

It was Henmans ONLY real chance of a Grand Slam Final and was playing a veteran semi injured wild card

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
No Tim Henman against Goran Ivanisovich? Should definitely be in there above 2010 England football team, who were rubbish rather than chokers.

It was Henmans ONLY real chance of a Grand Slam Final and was playing a veteran semi injured wild card

This is the one for me.It still hurts to this day.
Thanks for the list beepbeep.Interesting but very anglo-centric.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports