Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] £40 fine for 'idling' your car

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As of today there is a £40 fine if you leave your car idling whilst parked in Brighton. This, of course, excludes whilst waiting in a traffic jam or at lights.
Whilst this may be a good thing, who is going to enforce it?
On Brighton seafront we get two traffic warden visits a day, zero police but plenty of environment enforcers (litter police) chasing old ladies who are smoking. Will it be these people who now chase cars as well. They could sit outside Burger King and catch plenty of people, indeed them and a traffic warden could make lots of money for the council.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wonder what constitutes idling? Starting your car and waiting for the windscreen/windows to demist properly can take a few minutes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nothing wrong with the idea (we all want better air to breathe, right?) but as the first two posts neatly explain it’s impossible to enforce.

the council should earn a fortune from taxis at ranks. Personally it’s probably a good thing but I would deem it a traffic offence and the money go to central government rather than the council add it to their coffers.
Firstly it's not a traffic offence but one imposed by the local authority same as a parking fine, therefore money will remain local.

Secondly NOT demisting your windscreen is a traffic offence meaning you can be charged with careless driving and a £2500 fine.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If they want to make a load of money from parking tickets then Madeira Drive, in the area outside the gym / opposite the high wire, there's often loads of non-disabled badge cars parked in the disabled bays and sometimes as many as a dozen cars parked fully up on the wide pavement as if just because the pavement is wide that's a perfectly normal thing to do, especially when the weather is bad or the legal parking bays are crowded.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its a non-issue in the larger scheme of things, enforcement will be sporadic, catching odd person here and there. look forward to the stories of woe in Argus, single parent fined etc.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So the Greens have made Brighton the most polluted city in the UK. Quite an achievement.
I think it's @Notters who, in the past, has posted really interesting things on air quality (his profession I believe)

I believe the general jist is that if you slow all the traffic down and cause queues of cars, then air quality inevitably gets worse.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Firstly it's not a traffic offence but one imposed by the local authority same as a parking fine, therefore money will remain local.

Secondly NOT demisting your windscreen is a traffic offence meaning you can be charged with careless driving and a £2500 fine.
That was my point. I said “I” would deem it a traffic offence - if it was then this would be a non story.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What kind of plonker parks and keeps their car idling? Never mind a fine, requisition of their licence seems reasonable.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I think it's @Notters who, in the past, has posted really interesting things on air quality (his profession I believe)

I believe the general jist is that if you slow all the traffic down and cause queues of cars, then air quality inevitably gets worse.
Yes, that's what I gathered, and they've also managed to slow down and interrupt the flow of buses in North Street where no cars are allowed. Very impressive.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
The timing of this release is impeccable:

Cheltenham lib dems did the same thing.
By closing the main ring road through the centre of town to the normal car..

This caused all other small roads gridlocked causing so much more pollution.

The conservatives then opened it back up but narrowed the main ring road in the centre to now gridlock the main centre area..

The bus lanes.. have gridlocked the main ring road of Cheltenham making the centre more polluted than ever!

It takes between roughly 30 to 90 minutes to go thru 3 miles of traffic that should only take 10 minutes like it used to!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here