Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4-5-1 can still work. We need to play to it's strengths.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Yes I know it was back in the days of league 1 against poorer opposition but 4-5-1 worked when we had Navarro sitting in front of the back 4 playing the holding role, Crofts hurrying the opposition and Dicker linking up play with the rest of the team. The wingers in LuaLua and Bennett both with pace and natural wingers ability stretching the opposition and scoring and of course, GM playing alone upfront getting on the end of things whilst holding it up. We made 4-5-1 look attractive and attacking.
With this formation still being used, it really doesn't look like we are using the right players and tactics for the strengths of the 4-5-1 formation still in use.

I'm sure if Bridcutt plays the holding role, Crofts/Hammond doing the hurrying and Orlandi/Dicker playing the link up creative play, our midfield would look more potent again like it was. I'd bring in LuaLua on the left and Buckley on the right, both with attacking winger roles like how Palace use their wingers. At the moment I'd play Hoskins alone upfront, using his first touch to hold up play and having the ability to turn his man makes him the best player for the hold-up role right now, until anyone else does better alone upfront it's Hoskins for me.
Currently with one winger playing a defensive role and the other given the free role, it does leave us a little flop sided. The midfield doesn't at times look as dominating as it should be leaving our defence with more work than they need at times. At the moment the forwards are looking isolated more than they should. I feel it's because of this left wing defensive role we've got going, it makes us look far too predictable with our reliance for Buckley to make things happen. Murray would look just as isolated with this current way of playing 4-5-1. It needs more sting on the wing.

---------------Hoskins--------------

LuaLua------------------------Buckley

---------Orlandi-------Crofts--------

-----------------Bridcutt--------------

Bridge-----El-Abd----Greer----Bruno--

---------------Kuszczacks (GK)-----------

This I believe is currently our strongest team.

Last edited:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Yes I know it was back in the days of league 1 against poorer opposition but 4-5-1 worked when we had Navarro sitting in front of the back 4 playing the holding role, Crofts hurrying the opposition and Dicker linking up play with the rest of the team. The wingers in LuaLua and Bennett both with pace and natural wingers ability stretching the opposition and scoring and of course, GM playing alone upfront getting on the end of things whilst holding it up. We made 4-5-1 look attractive and attacking.
With this formation still being used, it really doesn't look like we are using the right players and tactics for the strengths of the 4-5-1 formation still in use.

I'm sure if Bridcutt plays the holding role, Crofts/Hammond doing the hurrying and Orlandi/Dicker playing the link up creative play, our midfield would look more potent again like it was. I'd bring in LuaLua on the left and Buckley on the right, both with attacking winger roles like how Palace use their wingers. At the moment I'd play Hoskins alone upfront, using his first touch to hold up play and having the ability to turn his man makes him the best player for the hold-up role right now, until anyone else does better alone upfront it's Hoskins for me.
Currently with one winger playing a defensive role and the other given the free role, it does leave us a little flop sided. The midfield doesn't at times look as dominating as it should be leaving our defence with more work than they need at times. At the moment the forwards are looking isolated more than they should. I feel it's because of this left wing defensive role we've got going, it makes us look far too predictable with our reliance for Buckley to make things happen. Murray would look just as isolated with this current way of playing 4-5-1. It needs more sting on the wing.

Bridge-----El-Abd----Greer----Bruno

-----------------Kuszczacks-----------

Kuszczak upfront and Hoskins in goal? ??? Hmnnn, could work I guess :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5348961 said:
Kuszczak upfront and Hoskins in goal? ??? Hmnnn, could work I guess :shrug:
:lol:

Paddy Finucane

WW2 Hero
Jul 26, 2004
Redhill

Totally agree - The problem with Poyet is he's never wrong - when he first came he stated he would try to win every game - this is patently not true - we have the players but imo the Manager is holding us back with negative tactics, a one winger lop sided approach to games where at times we're inexcusably slow at getting the ball forward and players playing out of position - why sign dobbie who looked the part playing in the hole behind a striker and restrict him to a wing role? It baffles me how some posters stick up for the guy - he's had more money to spend than any other Brighton manager and yet we are nowhere near where we should be.... thats the frustrating part we all know we have the squad but they seem pegged back by our style and system - bring in Curbs I say - Gus can go play Golf.............

Casper

Sep 22, 2011
Brighton
Totally agree - The problem with Poyet is he's never wrong - when he first came he stated he would try to win every game - this is patently not true - we have the players but imo the Manager is holding us back with negative tactics, a one winger lop sided approach to games where at times we're inexcusably slow at getting the ball forward and players playing out of position - why sign dobbie who looked the part playing in the hole behind a striker and restrict him to a wing role? It baffles me how some posters stick up for the guy - he's had more money to spend than any other Brighton manager and yet we are nowhere near where we should be.... thats the frustrating part we all know we have the squad but they seem pegged back by our style and system - bring in Curbs I say - Gus can go play Golf.............

Agree with all this we look sooo lopsided and I think the players don't understand what Gus wants either.

Casper

Sep 22, 2011
Brighton

Not sure Hoskins is any better than CMS although would be good to see him given a go, and if Gus actually played this team we might see the best come out from CMS.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Not sure Hoskins is any better than CMS although would be good to see him given a go, and if Gus actually played this team we might see the best come out from CMS.

The best of him while he's on the bench? :lolol:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
To me the players dont seem to have a licence to express themselves, Gus seems to have become a slave to a system.

In the league 1 championship winning campaign we often played an out and out 433, 442, 41212 or a 451/433.

We now only seem to play a 451 and a much more reserved style,

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Careful what you wish for !! Come Jan we might only have Hoskins ?

Just commenting on the fact he wasn't even in that team you suggested. :p

If Norwich offered ~£3m for him in January I'd be surprised if Gus turned it down, although it depends who else we've got lined up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here