Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4-4-2

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A plan B? A system that might suit a striker we signed years ago?
Now you're getting ahead of yourself. Hughton certainly knows his tactics, but that doesn't mean he'll use what's right for CMS very often. We might have O'Grady getting knock-ons for CMS or Baldock, or that might be a rare backup plan. There's not much way of knowing yet, and I guess it will also depend whom we get in January.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
2-3-5, with the half backs falling back to make a back four, and the inside forwards dropping into midfield to replace them, thus leaving a left and right winger upfield on the touchlines and the centre forward playing centre forward, so seamlessly morphing to a 4-3-3.

Mock if you like, but it's how we won Division 3 (South).

Come on Mr Hughton retro-trailblaze !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well he said about 15 minutes ago on Talksport that he prefers 4-4-2 unless my ears were deceiving me.
Either your ears deceived you, or he lied to talksport. He said in the Brighton interview that he usually plays 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1.

What did he say?
He said that's what he usually plays, and he thinks Brighton have played more of a 4-3-3 over the last 5 years, more expansive football than he usually plays, and he'd try and find the balance between winning games and entertaining the fans, whilst not changing what we do too much.

Perhaps it means that the football could be good to watch if the players can play expansive football, but if it's not going our way we'll be more defensive to try and get the results.

He didn't mention 4-4-2 though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The point is that formation notation is pretty meaningless in the current game as players can play in many different guises in a setup. Also the shape can be tweaked in minor ways throughout a game to adjust to how a match develops and what the opposition do.

I suspect he is tactically astute enough to ensure he plays a system that suits the players we have or bring in rather than making them fit his preferred set up

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
4-2-3-1 is the best system to suit our players with 2 being Ince and Holla and the wide men of the 3 getting forward to support the 1.

Agree with that and encouraging that this appears to be one of his preferred shapes. He also mentioned he had been watching us closely of late so will be interesting to see if as hoped he retains ince and Holla in the starting 11

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Has there been any confirmation of whether CH was at the Fulham game?

hucks

Dec 31, 2014
Is Hughton's preferred formation, with it looking more and more unlikely Bent will return we will surely be targeting 1/2 more strikers at least especially if O'Grady is off as well...

he very seldom plays 4 4 2
he only did it when under pressure to do it , then in tough away game, lost and never did it again

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree with that and encouraging that this appears to be one of his preferred shapes. He also mentioned he had been watching us closely of late so will be interesting to see if as hoped he retains ince and Holla in the starting 11

I know he was at Ipswich and saw Ince and Holla together and would assume he was at Fulham so augers well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here