Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3rd Test: India v England at Mohali on Nov 26-30, 2016

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Could do the job but wont go abroad which started the problems we had with an opener to partner Cook.

Bad news. Apparently Tres can't fly out for the 4th Test as it clashes with his 50th birthday party.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Being reported that Keaton Jennings of Durham will be flown out to replace Hameed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Plus journeyman Liam Dawson to replace Ansari, back problems.

Could this be the most "spinners" used in a Test Series by England? Moeen, Rashid, Ansari, Batty, Dawson and Root.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trescothick was obviously not a serious suggestion for India although it was for a 1 off test at home when Hales amongst others was struggling but hopefully Hameed will have solved that problem long term.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Plus journeyman Liam Dawson to replace Ansari, back problems.

Could this be the most "spinners" used in a Test Series by England? Moeen, Rashid, Ansari, Batty, Dawson and Root.

England in 1897/98 also used six spinners: Briggs, Hayward, Hearne,Ranji, Storer and Wainwright

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
England in 1897/98 also used six spinners: Briggs, Hayward, Hearne,Ranji, Storer and Wainwright

I just checked, because I knew it'd be close - 5 were used in the 1989 Ashes. Barnett, Emburey, Curtis, Hemmings and Atherton.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey. Are you the bearded wonder, Bill Frindall, in disguise?

:lolol:

No. But I knew that teams used a lot more spinners in those days, three or four were pretty usual - South Africa had a team with four leg-break/googly bowlers in the early 1900s. I just looked up a couple of tours and saw that England used the six. Briggs, Hayward, Hearne were pretty regular slow bowlers, Ranji and Storer were occasional leg-spinners and I had to look Wainwright up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here