Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3rd NFL game in London every Season

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
On the subject of NFL, we are planning on going to the States later this year and I would love to get to a game. Anyone any idea on how easy/hard it is to get tickets? Will be either New York, San Diego or Miami.

I went to a raiders game last season, was easy to get tickets, go through a ticket exchange, we for $150 tickets for $13 (thirteen)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The idea of an NFL team being based here irritates me. Can you imagine the outrage if a Premier League team relocated to America?
It's a different kettle of fish.

NFL franchises, well US sport in general, isn't rooted to the fans/city/locality.
They have always chased the money, until such time as they land somewhere that gives them everything.

Not to mention the size of America.
A team in London is infinitely more preferable to East coast America, than one in LA, because it's nearer and therefore watchable.

LA being the obvious city for a 'franchise' to move into.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Not to mention the size of America.
A team in London is infinitely more preferable to East coast America, than one in LA, because it's nearer and therefore watchable.

I'm not sure if it is nearer ??? also surely it is cheaper to fly cross-country than trans-atlantic?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure if it is nearer ??? also surely it is cheaper to fly cross-country than trans-atlantic?
You're right 2790 miles v 3459.34 miles (roughly).

But the time difference goes in London's favour, Sunday afternoon kick off here is a Sunday daytime match in NY.

Oh and nobody travels to away games.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
...LA being the obvious city for a 'franchise' to move into.

The main issue for any team to come here is the lack of "New" stadia. There are three locations that currently can hold over 100,000 in the city, but they do not have any corporate facilities, they are pure stadiums built for Olympic and College American Football usage only.

The city managers want a moving franchise team to use one of these locations, a moving franchise want an all singing all dancing stadium to maximize profit, not to unlike our own BHA. The one idea being tossed about fairly seriously is to build a new stadium, paid for by the new franchise in the heart of downtown LA. RIght next to Staples Center where the Lakers/Clippers/Kings and Sparks all play...also where they have just spent a $Billion on a place called "LA Live" that has revitalized downtown, but to build here would mean taking down and moving the LA Conference Center, which is a massive exhibition hall type place that hosts some of the biggest West Coasts shows and conferences/exhibitions etc.

In true American style, they will knock down and move the Conference place, purely because LA is the second largest TV Market in the states, with a huge American Football fan base, who still follow the Raiders and Rams 20 years after they left.

Rumour has it the Chargers are being lined up, which will cause untold drama with the San Diego fans.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the subject of NFL, we are planning on going to the States later this year and I would love to get to a game. Anyone any idea on how easy/hard it is to get tickets? Will be either New York, San Diego or Miami.

I purchased tickets to watch the Bucs through ticket master around a month before we went to the states but this was around 25 years a go so not sure what happens these days.

However we bought tickets for Toronto Blue Jays baseball on the day in April.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Played two seasons for the B52s and against the Crawley Raiders a few times. Starting MLB against City College of San Fran when they came to Withdean where we got tonked about 1000-0. A great game to play second only to real football.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I got tickets for the Raiders without any trouble, just ordered them from their site. Admittedly this was a few years ago now, (2008), so they've probably got a new membership scheme in place now. (Now THERE'S an idea, change the membership scheme every couple of years and keep charging people for the privilege of being in the queue to buy tickets).

Be brilliant to have an NFL franchise in London, I'd happily give them a Premiership team in return. One of the shit ones like Southampton.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Fair enough. I play for Sussex (rookie season). What standard are you going into next year? Really is a good excuse to hit the gym. I'm 6'6 and about 225 - have been playing tight end. Brilliant fun and gives a whole different appreciation of the game playing it.

Does Adrian T still play defence for Sussex Thunder?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Fair enough. I play for Sussex (rookie season). What standard are you going into next year? Really is a good excuse to hit the gym. I'm 6'6 and about 225 - have been playing tight end. Brilliant fun and gives a whole different appreciation of the game playing it.

Ian Ellis and Dean Smart are very good friends of mine

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sussex Thunder have some good lads yeah. Also is very easy to get tickets for some teams in states. Properly hard for a few though. College football is much better anyway ;) It's like the Championship of Football (not soccer) - ((queue binfest))

Oct 25, 2003
i'm confused as to how a franchise based out of the US would work? presumably it'd still fit in with the college draft system?

i think the initial surge in interest from having an NFL team over here would drift off after a while as there would be little local interest. At the end of the day all the players would be american unless included in the project was some serious development in grass roots level over here so that we could produce our own players

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i'm confused as to how a franchise based out of the US would work? presumably it'd still fit in with the college draft system?

i think the initial surge in interest from having an NFL team over here would drift off after a while as there would be little local interest. At the end of the day all the players would be american unless included in the project was some serious development in grass roots level over here so that we could produce our own players
The NFL NEEDS to expand their revenue stream (quoting my inner Barber).
The NFL needs a team in LA, but no stadium.
The NFL needs to expand beyond it's boarders.
The NFL has so much money, it makes soccerball look like loose change.
Wembley NEEDS money, more than it needs England to play on a 'perfect' pitch.

So basically it will happen and everybody concerned will fall over backwards to make it work.

Off the top of my head:-

There will be a team base on the East Coast, Florida (eventually a European talent base in London as well).
The club will be based there from Feb - August.
The franchise will get favourable fixtures, back to back home games, home games first and last of the season.

If it works the franchise will slowly move.

The only fly in the ointment would be in a play off type situation.
Should the London Seagulls go through to post season, with home field advantage, and play Seattle or San Francisco, et al.
That will be tricky.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The NFL NEEDS to expand their revenue stream (quoting my inner Barber).
The NFL needs a team in LA, but no stadium.
The NFL needs to expand beyond it's boarders.
The NFL has so much money, it makes soccerball look like loose change.
Wembley NEEDS money, more than it needs England to play on a 'perfect' pitch.

So basically it will happen and everybody concerned will fall over backwards to make it work.

Off the top of my head:-

There will be a team base on the East Coast, Florida (eventually a European talent base in London as well).
The club will be based there from Feb - August.
The franchise will get favourable fixtures, back to back home games, home games first and last of the season.

If it works the franchise will slowly move.

The only fly in the ointment would be in a play off type situation.
Should the London Seagulls go through to post season, with home field advantage, and play Seattle or San Francisco, et al.
That will be tricky.

I think you may well be right. A london team could easily compete with east coast sides and I believe Goddell would love to make the happen. If London could sellout three games a year for five years or so (especially with two being Jags games!) then they may feel more confident pursuing this.

Ironically I think the biggest problem maybe the knowledgeable fanbase that already exists. I've supported the Skins for the best part of 30years would I be prepared to chuck them in for a London team? I'm not so sure. I would imagine this would be a problem for a lot of other fans too.

Still I find the prospect both exciting and intriguing and I can't wait for the Vikings/Steelers game later in the year.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Yep kinda play, not for Sussex Thunder (too far to travel) but am involved in the new Hastings team who've only played a couple of games so far. We've been accepted into the league for next season though and more my standard currently. Played a bit in states but not to any decent level during my year living in S.C. at uni. At 5'9(1/2) and pushing 160 it's a good excuse to get fit and hit the gym so I can play some safety. Currently doing my official coaching badges rather than the American Assistant and the british flag qualifications already have.

Great fun and takes me back to playing 8-10 years ago rather than just watching college games online. Big Clemson (and Bucs) fan for 20+ years.

What is the set-up with the Hastings team, what standard of player are you looking for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here