Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looks the bad Windies team has turned up today

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was replying in terms of 'my life-time', but even stretching it to all-time, Anderson surely deserves his place, opening the bowling with Sydney Barnes.

He'd be well behind Larwood and Trueman for me, if Fred had played as many matches as Anderson he'd be over 600 wickets by now (and at a much better average) and Larwood was the most terrifying bowler England has ever produced.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He'd be well behind Larwood and Trueman for me, if Fred had played as many matches as Anderson he'd be over 600 wickets by now (and at a much better average) and Larwood was the most terrifying bowler England has ever produced.

Pretty much any of England's front line bowlers would be terrifying if you were batting on uncovered pitches, with no helmet, chest or arm protection, and five fielders lined up behind square to catch anything you fended away!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just seen the Blackwood dismissal.

****ing HELL, that is a poor shot!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pretty much any of England's front line bowlers would be terrifying if you were batting on uncovered pitches, with no helmet, chest or arm protection, and five fielders lined up behind square to catch anything you fended away!

That's true enough but no other England bowler, yet, has touched 100 mph. We had uncovered pitches and no chest protection for about 100 years but no other England bowler caused an international incident. Even in the modern era, a genuine fast bowler can cause problems - look at the damage Johnson did to England in the last Ashes series.

If I were picking the all-time team, I'd want a really genuine quickie in it - Trueman and Larwood would be a frightening opening attack (with Barnes and Botham to mop up the rest)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
All-time side of players I've seen? Anderson would, Broad wouldn't. All-time England side? Neither would

I was kind of assuming the picks would be from ones you've seen - I should have made this clear. For me Jimmy would get in but I'd find a place for Snow in front of Broad - OK partly for reasons of hero-worship............................(did Broad ever write a volume of poetry?)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
100/6 bye bye Chase

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's true enough but no other England bowler, yet, has touched 100 mph. We had uncovered pitches and no chest protection for about 100 years but no other England bowler caused an international incident. Even in the modern era, a genuine fast bowler can cause problems - look at the damage Johnson did to England in the last Ashes series.

If I were picking the all-time team, I'd want a really genuine quickie in it - Trueman and Larwood would be a frightening opening attack (with Barnes and Botham to mop up the rest)

Firstly, neither you (nor anyone else) have any idea how fast Larwood bowled (other than 'faster than his peers'). Personally given that modern bowlers are better athletes as a rule, and MUCH taller (Steven Finn is almost a FOOT taller than the 5'8" Larwood), its pretty unlikely that he was genuinely quicker than a host of other England bowlers since.

And yes his bowling on the infamous tour caused an incident, but that was really far more down to Jardine's captaincy and tactics than just Larwood's bowling, surely?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's true enough but no other England bowler, yet, has touched 100 mph. We had uncovered pitches and no chest protection for about 100 years but no other England bowler caused an international incident.
Wasn't that due to the 'bodyline' change of tactic? I'm sure some of today's bowlers could do similar.

All sports have become more professional, and sportsmen are fitter, stronger, faster than they used to be. Today's bowlers are largely facing better batsmen.

499 for James/A.
Again?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Firstly, neither you (nor anyone else) have any idea how fast Larwood bowled (other than 'faster than his peers'). Personally given that modern bowlers are better athletes as a rule, and MUCH taller (Steven Finn is almost a FOOT taller than the 5'8" Larwood), its pretty unlikely that he was genuinely quicker than a host of other England bowlers since.

And yes his bowling on the infamous tour caused an incident, but that was really far more down to Jardine's captaincy and tactics than just Larwood's bowling, surely?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21zgV8_PBM0

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
101/7 moving forward

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

No-one has any idea exactly how quick bowlers of previous eras were because the technology didn't exist.

Still looks quick enough for me though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
123/8 Jimmy still looking for that elusive 500th wicket

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here