Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£3m keeper targeted by Poyet

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This at least show the standard of player that Gus and Tony Bloom are looking at. 18months ago it would have been Chelmsford or Stevenage if we were lucky.

didn't we have Mr Robbie Savage about 18 months ago. Surely a player that has a 'higher' reputation than third choice keeper at Stoke! Admittedly he did play crap for us but whether you like him or not, it seems he was/is a better player both before and after coming to us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the time Savage was a non playing member of Derby and at the time came here at about the same time as TB took over as Chairman and also he came here because of his past association with MA. Wasnt this about 12 months ago.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Pointless unless Bernard Bresslaw gets injured, why waste money
Because he's 10 times better than Brezovan perhaps?
Simonsen is a very good Championship keeper, that's why we proabbly won't get him but it's good to see Poyet knows we need a top quality keeper for next season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because he's 10 times better than Brezovan perhaps?
Simonsen is a very good Championship keeper, that's why we proabbly won't get him but it's good to see Poyet knows we need a top quality keeper for next season.

As I said it is good that this is the standard of players Gus is looking at as well as lower league and non league..

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
That's exactly why we do need another keeper, though!

And if we can improve on what we have, why not?

For me, the jury is still out on Brez. He was excellent on Monday but I'd liketo see that sort of form on a consistent basis before agreeing that we have the quality keeper we need to move upwards and onwards.
Until he has played on a regular basis,how the hell can you judge him!The more good games/clean sheets/contact with the defence/ he has,he should improve & gain confidence.If he doesn't,then fair play-slag him off,get rid!Till then,please STFU all.Thank you,I'll fetch my own coat:facepalm:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why Stoke?

When Gus came we were excited by his contacts, he had history with Tottenham and Chelsea. We (I'm sure I'm not alone) were thinking that his past with Tottenham and Chelsea would result in people from the fringes of their squads, or even promising youth players in need of first team experience and lower league seasoning.

Yet we sign this Arismendi bloke from Stoke and now looking at their goalkeeper. What is Gus's link with Stoke?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Could it be that Poyet developed good relations with Tony Pulis when doing the Arismendi deal? Maybe the link is Arismendi, and nothing more.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This at least show the standard of player that Gus and Tony Bloom are looking at. 18months ago it would have been Chelmsford or Stevenage if we were lucky.

As opposed to an unemployed Czech?

There is ambition and reality. I am pretty sure the board (18 months ago) used to get slated for being unambitious and over-ambitious.

Besides which, didn't we sign a (once) £1.5m player 18 months ago?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As opposed to an unemployed Czech?

There is ambition and reality. I am pretty sure the board (18 months ago) used to get slated for being unambitious and over-ambitious.

Besides which, didn't we sign a (once) £1.5m player 18 months ago?

I think that what is abundantly clear is that if Gus wants a player, within reason, the money will be available. You are correct we did sign a player once sold by us rather than valued at £1.5m. Didnt that sale cause some comment! None the less good business on our behalf.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Until he has played on a regular basis,how the hell can you judge him!The more good games/clean sheets/contact with the defence/ he has,he should improve & gain confidence.If he doesn't,then fair play-slag him off,get rid!Till then,please STFU all.Thank you,I'll fetch my own coat:facepalm:

I suggest you read what I said again.

I haven't said anything different to you!

I said the jury's still out....which means I HAVEN'T judged him!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
FA Cup exit paves way for Steve Simonsen loan move | Stoke City | Premier League | Stoke and Staffordshire sport

STEVE Simonsen could be poised to move out on loan – and Brighton are one of the first clubs to throw their hat into the ring.

Simonsen is now third in the goalkeeping pecking order at Stoke following the January arrival of Asmir Begovic from Portsmouth for £3.25m.

Simonsen has been retained since then because Begovic was cup-tied, but Sunday's FA Cup exit at Chelsea now leaves him free to move out if Stoke see fit.

Brighton have expressed a genuine interest in taking the 29-year-old to the south coast until the end of the season, but are unlikely to win any race for his signature.

Simonsen is not thought to fancy dropping down to League One or moving such a long way from his Southport home, while several Championship clubs have already shown an interest in his services anyway.

Simonsen will be keen to put himself in the shop window between now and May as his contract expires in the summer.

The end of that contract would appear to finally signal the end of a successful six-year association with Stoke after already spending a frustrating two seasons as understudy to Thomas Sorensen.

Begovic's arrival would seem to nudge him further towards the exit door this summer after 187 Stoke appearances to date.

Stoke are keen to retain three keepers on their books, but may prefer to nurture a youngster as their number three.

Simonsen's only hope of remaining, therefore, might be a big-money offer being laid and accepted for Thomas Sorensen this summer to create another vacancy at the club.

But even then, both Stoke and Simonsen may feel it is time for a parting of the ways.

The former England goalkeeper would prefer to remain in the Premier League, but will be keen to start clocking up more first-team games after making just five starts and three substitute appearances since March 2008.
When was that then?!?!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not gonna happen.

Elsewhere Poyet has responded to media reports linking Albion with Stoke City goalkeeper Steve Simonsen, and says it is unlikely he will be able to lure the 30-year-old stopper to the south coast.

"I don't think it is something that is going to happen now. I don't know how it came out.

"I think when names are spread about it becomes more difficult to get someone. There are plenty of options and we are trying to make the right decision and it's not an easy one.

"We have time to see, and at the moment I am quite comfortable with the situation, but I have to be careful because after the 25th March I can't get anyone, so we're working on it."

MozzaaSCFC

The Stokie
Mar 2, 2010
Stoke-on-Trent
Am I reading this properly; some of you think Steve Simonsen would be backup? :lolol: - he's a championship quality 'keeper; his performance this season in our 1-0 victory at Spurs - Simo produced one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen he was phenomenal. Anyway I do believe Derby want him now because of there humorous goalkeeping crisis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here