Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3D TV Anyone?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Anyone made the jump to 3D TV yet? I am thinking about it, so I thought I'd ask the great and the good at NSC what they think.

Is it worth it? or is it a waste of money?

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
I guess the problem is lack of 3d media at the moment. A handful of bits on Sky and the odd DVD but not a great deal. Seems to be a lot of extra cash for not a lot of benefit IMO

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
TBH im a tech geek of some sort, but a 3D tv dont do it for me, having to wear glasses indoors all the time, things dont really look that much different & they cost a bomb (for a good make), but thats just IMO Im more than happy with a good quality HD TV & Im sure others on here will say they love them!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Have to say, having seen it working in shop yesterday again, its mightily improved since the last time I had a look at it...

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Personally,had a 3D for a year now....for sport it is awesome...the trouble I find is there a lot of documentries and childrens programmes ( great when you first see them,) but there as so many that are repeated often twice a day for several days. DVDs through Blu-Ray vary in quality,some the 3D effect is not too good,others brilliant. Advise you get to watch 3D first,it seems that some people feel ill or get headaches after about half hour. Hope it helps.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I got my 3d tv about 6 weeks ago, I went down the passive route with an LG led tv (it uses the same type of glasses you use at the cinema so not £50+ a pair and I got 7 pairs with the tv). If you've got sky and can get the 3d channel for free it's ok with football and darts being my personal favourites, but I also have a ps3 and some of the 3d games are quality. Most 3d tvs have a function to convert a normal picture to 3d but it's obviously not as good as something that's broadcast in 3d. It is a bit of a gimmick/gadget but it's a gadget that everyone that has seen it has been impressed with it. Most important thing I've found is getting the tv at the correct height for 3d viewing.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
i have one of the LG passive (the same as the cinema glasses so they are cheap - like 50p each) TVs. Its great but there isn't a huge amount of content to play unless your a gamer then there are a few ps3 games that look great in 3D.

Basically if you are upgrading your TV like i was then you would be mad to ignore 3D completely as the 3D TVs are also the best 2D sets. But if you only want 3D then i would wait.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
TBH im a tech geek of some sort, but a 3D tv dont do it for me, having to wear glasses indoors all the time, things dont really look that much different & they cost a bomb (for a good make), but thats just IMO Im more than happy with a good quality HD TV & Im sure others on here will say they love them!

Cannot agree less with this. My mate has one and the clarity is absolutely superb. I was terribly impressed by 3D. The glasses are the only put off, but glassless technology isn't far behind. But I'll definitely be getting a 3D tv somtime this year. I would however suggest not buying cheap tack you've never heard of before. Stick with the Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. brands. I'm sure you won't go wrong.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

You know you only wear glasses for 3d stuff? If you go down the passive route the glasses are ridiculously cheap

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I too have a 3D LED LG and it is a good set. On HD and SD the picture is fantastic. 3D is great, and there are more and more Blu-ray films coming out in 3D.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Wow, awesome response folks thanks. I work near John Lewis in Oxford Street, London, so I'm gonna take a trip down there at lunchtime to see if I can testdrive one of their 3D models.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Wow, awesome response folks thanks. I work near John Lewis in Oxford Street, London, so I'm gonna take a trip down there at lunchtime to see if I can testdrive one of their 3D models.

Have fun, let us know your findings!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here