Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 35 Years We've Been Waiting to Visit Goodison Park.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
By a coincidence I was clearing out my loft yesterday and came across the programme for the match at Goodison in 1979 (a bit earlier of course). For anyone who remembers that era here is the team:

Moseley
Suddaby
Williams
Horton
Foster
Stevens
Ryan
Ward
Clarke
Lawrenson (yes, listed as number 10)
O'Sullivan

Can't remember a thing about the game other than that I was sitting at the top of a very high stand.

IIRC Suddaby played particularly well that game. It was my first visit to Goodison, the next time I went I was in the Everton end .... an interesting experience

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
By a coincidence I was clearing out my loft yesterday and came across the programme for the match at Goodison in 1979 (a bit earlier of course). For anyone who remembers that era here is the team:

Moseley
Suddaby
Williams
Horton
Foster
Stevens
Ryan
Ward
Clarke
O'Sullivan

Can't remember a thing about the game other than that I was sitting at the top of a very high stand.

We lost 2-0 didn't we, to what I recall was a particularly thuggish and nasty Everton side. A few local scallys in the away end, too, not to mention the ones that offered to "mind our car, wack" when we made the fatal mistake of parking in a side street. Came back to find a nail driven into one of the tyres; one of us changed the tyre while the other three kept look out. Obviously the 50p each we gave them was not considered sufficient. Happy days.

el punal

We lost 2-0 didn't we, to what I recall was a particularly thuggish and nasty Everton side. A few local scallys in the away end, too, not to mention the ones that offered to "mind our car, wack" when we made the fatal mistake of parking in a side street. Came back to find a nail driven into one of the tyres; one of us changed the tyre while the other three kept look out. Obviously the 50p each we gave them was not considered sufficient. Happy days.

To be honest most away trips in those days were always a risk - even if you weren't looking for trouble. I'm trying hard to think of any match where there wasn't an "incident" before, during, or after a game.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Same thing happened to us at Maine Road, the same season. Trouble is we had a hire car with Denovo tyres. No spare. AA had to drive us home via changes at Stockport, Birmingham and Northampton. By the time we got to Northampton, they managed to fix it.

This is also my first visit to Everton. Looking forward to it. Reckon we can get a draw (Assuming Bruno doesn't come on for the last 5 minutes).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
To be honest most away trips in those days were always a risk - even if you weren't looking for trouble. I'm trying hard to think of any match where there wasn't an "incident" before, during, or after a game.

Agreed. Or as Das calls them, "The Good Old Days".

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Moseley
Suddaby
Williams
Horton
Foster
Stevens
Ryan
Ward
Clarke
O'Sullivan

Lawrenson came back after a long time out with an ankle ligament injury (sustained at Spurs in the fifth game of the season) at Forest, when we won 1-0, wearing 10 and playing in midfield. Gary Stevens moved to right back to accommodate newly-signed Peter Suddaby, who played in central defence alongside Foster. I think regular right back John Gregory must have been injured. If memory serves me correctly, we beat Derby 2-0 at home in the next game with an unchanged team, and the Everton game was the next fixture.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Ah the warm memories of those cheeky Scousers! I lived there from 1978-84 - Boys from the Blackstuff, Brookside, Derek Hatton etc - it was a grim old time. My happiest memory was when we knocked the Reds out of the cup at theirs. What a place,

PS I almost forgot the Toxeth riots

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Lawrenson came back after a long time out with an ankle ligament injury (sustained at Spurs in the fifth game of the season) at Forest, when we won 1-0, wearing 10 and playing in midfield. Gary Stevens moved to right back to accommodate newly-signed Peter Suddaby, who played in central defence alongside Foster. I think regular right back John Gregory must have been injured. If memory serves me correctly, we beat Derby 2-0 at home in the next game with an unchanged team, and the Everton game was the next fixture.

Respect, But going back that far you'd need to be Not Jack Arlidge?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Goodison is actually a bit of a dump.

theboybilly

I hope so - I've got a sneaky feeling it's going to feel a bit crap

It will be I'm afraid. Goodison might look nice from the centre circle but it has long been showing it's age. It was bearable when you stood on terraces but the seating areas are notoriously poor (especially the Bullens Road Stand in which away fans are housed) The surrounding area is all old tired Victorian-era housing and pubs are not very away-friendly. Best to drink in the city then get a taxi to the ground. Much the same advice can be applied to an away trip to Anfield in May

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Same thing happened to us at Maine Road, the same season. Trouble is we had a hire car with Denovo tyres. No spare. AA had to drive us home via changes at Stockport, Birmingham and Northampton. By the time we got to Northampton, they managed to fix it.

This is also my first visit to Everton. Looking forward to it. Reckon we can get a draw (Assuming Bruno doesn't come on for the last 5 minutes).

I got chucked out of Maine Road that game for foul and abusive language

Gull & Chips

Nov 30, 2017
But he also gave us Una Stubbs
And he also gave us Little and Large
And he also gave us Keith Harris
And he also gave us Wendy Craig
And he also gave us Thora Hird
And he also gave us Matthew Kelly
And he also gave us Eartha Kitt
And he also gave us Lionel Blaaaaaaaaaaair

'ave a banana...