Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] 35 Years Ago Today- THAT Match In The Frozen Fens

el punal

The following year, 1987, we played Sheffield Utd in the Cup at Bramall Lane. Although it didn’t snow it was bitterly cold. The temperature dropped even further after halftime and in the second half the pitch froze. I seem to remember the players just passing the ball around the centre circle until the final whistle.

In my opinion it was even colder than Peterborough, so much so that I had frost bite in places you wouldn’t dream of and my willy dropped off in protest. :eek:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Seems like yesterday

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Some great memories posted! Thanks everyone.

Don’t suppose anyone has a pic of their red scarf, have they? I’m a sucker for this sort of obscure memorabilia.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yep, we got special train.

Lagers and 20 JPS. I was about 16, very fond memories although I can't remember much about the actual game

I remember Mad Jock walking up and down the train pouring orange (vodka) squash out to people!

Was the replay the game where we all went down the Goldstone to clear the snow off the pitch with our dads spades?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was talking about this yesterday on Twitter. Without doubt the scariest experience I've had on a terrace. I was genuinely struggling to breath when Jacobs equalised the second time I was that crushed. There is absolutely no way they should have put 6,000 in that terrace behind the goal. Genuinely dangerous.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Great day and an awesome kit. For a while it felt like the red kit gave us magical powers! Hull away in an earlier round was fun.The Hull fans were on two sides in the shade, shivering with snow stacked in front of the hoadings. Whilst we basked in the sun and piled our coats in heaps.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Stayed with a mate near Cambridge the night before. When we saw how snowy it was still in the morning we wondered whether it would still be on. At someone's suggestion I phoned the club:

Me: "Is the game with Brighton still on today?"
Voice who answered the phone: "Yes, we've cleared the lines and the pitch isn't frozen so it's all good"
Me: "Great, who am I talking to anyway?"
Voice: " My name's John Wile, I'm the manager"

Just taking a punt here but if the phone rings at Peterborough's ground these days I wouldn't expect Darren Ferguson to be the one answering it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
One of the great days out.
I was at boarding school and had to bunk off.
Got back in the evening just in time for the "Farting Competition" in Sankeys Bar and the allowed 4 cans of strongbow.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We drove up!

I can only remember that we drew and it was freezing!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was talking about this yesterday on Twitter. Without doubt the scariest experience I've had on a terrace. I was genuinely struggling to breath when Jacobs equalised the second time I was that crushed. There is absolutely no way they should have put 6,000 in that terrace behind the goal. Genuinely dangerous.

Different times, I loved that day out.

It was a very shallow terrace, if if it had been as steep as some grounds there could have been a different outcome.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

I was thrilled at the time.. just a few years before terrible events at Hillsborough changed my thoughts for ever.. I remember taking my feet off the ground and literally being carried around we were so tightly packed in. I was 16/17 and the thril at the time was incredible - the noise was incredible, under the roof which was a rarity back then too. I remember before the game, walking to the ground from the station and hearing a couple of lads exclaim in wonder : "Leeds had a lot down (I think they played previous round?) but there are thousands of them !"(BHA)!" Its funny, it didn't seem THAT bizarre at the time that they game was "on" ..

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i love seeing these old highlights just for the state of the pitches. The whole pitch awash with snow, water, mud. The surface more like a ploughed up allotment rather than a field of sporting excellence. Balls literally stopping inches from the goal line due to being stuck in mud. I seem to remeber players being so covered in mud it was hard to tell which team they were on.

I wonder how some of todays teams would do on these pitches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here