Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

32Gb Nexus 7 - £200

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's a good deal and would make an 8gb iPad Mini at £250 (pure speculation there) look a bit pricey.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Great price. Will be picking one up and would imagine that will consign our iPad to being just a games machine for the kids.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Great price for a great piece of kit if my 16GB version is anything to go by, a capacity with which I am still more than happy as I'm nowhere near to filling itt.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Fantastic news. I am having that

What does it do to the price of the 8gb and 16gb models? Or will the 8gb be dropped and the the 16gb take its place as the £159 option?

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
That's a good deal and would make an 8gb iPad Mini at £250 (pure speculation there) look a bit pricey.

Apple in charging high prices shocker.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A product sold by Apple attracts a ludicrously high price from those niaive enough to pay it

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A product sold by Apple attracts a ludicrously high price from those niaive enough to pay it

That's been most of the people who buy tablets to date then.

The fact is that no one has been able to match Apple's pricing on well-specced 10" tablets - Samsung et al have tried, failed and largely withdrawn from the market.

Like it or not, Apple rule the tablet world, and it's been two and a half years since the original iPad launched. What's gone wrong for the rest of the tablet producing world so far?

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
As is the case with the Albion - a premium product attracts a premium price.

While that's undoubtedly true, the differentiation between an ipad mini and a nexus 7 isn't likely to be that great is it? The nexus 7 really is a nice piece of kit, albeit without the established brand value of other tablets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
While that's undoubtedly true, the differentiation between an ipad mini and a nexus 7 isn't likely to be that great is it? The nexus 7 really is a nice piece of kit, albeit without the established brand value of other tablets.

For the money it's decent, for sure, and if you've not already got an investment in iOS apps that you just want to install and go, then it's a great choice.

I had one on order myself until rumours of an imminent iPad Mini broke so I cancelled and decided to wait. Even if I end up going for the Nexus ultimately, I'll now be getting 32gb for the previous 16gb price so not all bad.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have nothing against Apple per se except I can't afford them (typed on an 8 year old very cheap low-spec PC with probably less memory than a current pocket calculator)

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
As is the case with the Albion - a premium product attracts a premium price.

True, but Apple products remain ludicrously expensive for what they are.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The Nexus 7 16gb is a great bit of kit and I'd definitely recommend it. Eats battery though.

not sure if i'll pick up the 32gb.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's been most of the people who buy tablets to date then.

The [subjective opinion of Apple followers] is that no one has been able to match Apple's pricing on well-specced 10" tablets - Samsung et al have tried, failed and largely withdrawn from the market.

to the 7" market, which has become over half the total tablet market iirc. nothing's gone wrong, no one really wanted a 10" tablet device. many wanted an Ipad though, so they've done well there. its will be most interesting how the mini ipad impacts on the larger ipad's sales.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
The Nexus 7 16gb is a great bit of kit and I'd definitely recommend it. Eats battery though.

not sure if i'll pick up the 32gb.

I've found the battery life to be pretty good. Maybe that's because I've a lot of experience (work) with android handsets, and so have got used to regular recharging - but even so, the tablet lasts several times longer than a laptop. (Smaller screen, no hardrive)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
to the 7" market, which has become over half the total tablet market iirc. nothing's gone wrong, no one really wanted a 10" tablet device. many wanted an Ipad though, so they've done well there. its will be most interesting how the mini ipad impacts on the larger ipad's sales.

No one really wanted a 10" tablet device? Apple have sold 90 million of the things! Ninety million. 90,000,000.

(Samsung have scraped to about 2 million, give or take)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No one really wanted a 10" tablet device? Apple have sold 90 million of the things! Ninety million. 90,000,000.

(Samsung have scraped to about 2 million, give or take)

note the past tense, Apple made a new market, and i dont think any other company could have done it. but having made that market, it seems a great many arent quite sure. anecdotally, around me at work in IT there a few people with ipads but everyone who hasnt adopted early is far more interested in the 7" tablets. combination of price and size.

and Samsung have been quite happy about all this, selling Apple the screens, memory and processors. selling 2 million units of a market that didnt exist a couple of years ago, while having all the R&D done by another company, its pretty decent additional business. not sure why the need to knock them?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here