Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 30,305

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Unfortunately there will be loads more than that that don't sell on the exchange. It's mid august, covid, the sharing scheme combined with ID issues, he's goals will show it HD, and it's Watford....

Btw I jointly topped the score predictor last season and had us 2 1 v burnley last week so my Crystal ball is fully functioning. I even got near to topping your potter's pick prediction league last season hugo but missed a few weeks... I am considering opening a tarot reading stall at the pier too.

My eyes have also been working for the last decade at the amex and our attendance figures are a joke.

I will never understand why it means so much to people. Our attendances are calculated in exactly the same way as every other PL club ie by tickets sold. Who cares how many people turn up. I’m there for the football and counting people is really not very interesting.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I will never understand why it means so much to people. Our attendances are calculated in exactly the same way as every other PL club ie by tickets sold. Who cares how many people turn up. I’m there for the football and counting people is really not very interesting.

For me it's the historical comparison that is annoying. You can't compare to pre AMEX days. I understand it but I'd also like the attendance figure as well. Don't see anything wrong with that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Personally I would rather the club didn’t announce a pretendance, tomorrow if there are thousands of empty seats and the club announce the attendance is 31,000 I will probably mutter f*** off and roll my eyes :)

In the past I would enjoy looking at match attendances in the Sunday papers for all the divisions, I also like looking at my Albion history books to look up attendances of matches I went to at the Goldstone and away games.

el punal

Personally I would rather the club didn’t announce a pretendance, tomorrow if there are thousands of empty seats and the club announce the attendance is 31,000 I will probably mutter f*** off and roll my eyes :)

In the past I would enjoy looking at match attendances in the Sunday papers for all the divisions, I also like looking at my Albion history books to look up attendances of matches I went to at the Goldstone and away games.

Is it really any different to the Glorious Goldstone days when there was a big game on? The crowd packers would squeeze you in, the gates would close half an hour before kickoff, and with absolutely no chance of moving anywhere apart from six inches left or right. Then, the following day, you’d find that the attendance was 28,000 and something rather than the capacity of 35,000. Shhh! Don’t tell the taxman?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

All of this, I used to scour the sunday's or the late sports argus for the attendances to compare. Now I just don't bother as they're always the same regardless.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is it really any different to the Glorious Goldstone days when there was a big game on? The crowd packers would squeeze you in, the gates would close half an hour before kickoff, and with absolutely no chance of moving anywhere apart from six inches left or right. Then, the following day, you’d find that the attendance was 28,000 and something rather than the capacity of 35,000. Shhh! Don’t tell the taxman?

You are right of course, I did think I’m sure big games at the Goldstone would be mentioned by someone.
But really there wasn’t a massive crowd for every home game, there was a t shirt on sale outside the Goldstone for the last game and it had something like six games on the back with attendances over 30,000.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
You are right of course, I did think I’m sure big games at the Goldstone would be mentioned by someone.
But really there wasn’t a massive crowd for every home game, there was a t shirt on sale outside the Goldstone for the last game and it had something like six games on the back with attendances over 30,000.

We had 21 30k attendances at The Goldstone ground in its entire history. The Amex equalled that v Leicester but can't remember which game. I also can't recall how many plus 30k crowds ( oops ticket sold) we have achieved since we have been at The Amex. Some clever clogs will undoubtedly inform us! :thumbsup::whistle::bigwave:

el punal

I remember going to quite a few 30,000+ plus games at the Goldstone, off the top of my head it was :

Chelsea 1967 FA Cup - 35,000

Wolves 1969 League Cup - 32,000

Bournemouth 1971 Div.3 - 30,000

Rochdale 1972 - Div.3 - 34,000

Palace 1976 - Div.3 - 33,000

Derby 1976 - League Cup - 33,000

Sheffield Wednesday 1977 - Div.3 - 30,000

Southampton - 1978 - Div.2 - 31,000

Tottenham - 1978 - Div.2 - 31,000

Charlton - 1978 - Div.2 - 31,000

Blackpool - 1978 - Div.2 - 33,000

Never saw a T-shirt with that many on! :D

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
971 tickets left so no chance of the exchange kicking in.

So with capacity of 31 800 with about 900 home end unsold and Watford selling out their allocation, that gives an official announced attendance of 30 500 when you account for seats lost to segregation.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
So with capacity of 31 800 with about 900 home end unsold and Watford selling out their allocation, that gives an official announced attendance of 30 500 when you account for seats lost to segregation.
Not so sure, when it edges near a sell out then the club release more tickets, unwanted freebies ect.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As subject is crowds. What is record for an Albion reserve game. I attended one with 1 think 14k when attendees qualified for FA cup game against a Div 1 side

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As subject is crowds. What is record for an Albion reserve game. I attended one with 1 think 14k when attendees qualified for FA cup game against a Div 1 side

I believe it is 22,256 who turned up for the Combination fixture against Notts County on Feb 11 1967 when tickets for the FA Cup fourth round tie against Chelsea the following Saturday were available (I'm guessing they were sold on the turnstiles?).

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Aston Villa 1972 Div 2 was 30,000+ as well

I remember going to quite a few 30,000+ plus games at the Goldstone, off the top of my head it was :

Chelsea 1967 FA Cup - 35,000

Wolves 1969 League Cup - 32,000

Bournemouth 1971 Div.3 - 30,000

Rochdale 1972 - Div.3 - 34,000

Palace 1976 - Div.3 - 33,000

Derby 1976 - League Cup - 33,000

Sheffield Wednesday 1977 - Div.3 - 30,000

Southampton - 1978 - Div.2 - 31,000

Tottenham - 1978 - Div.2 - 31,000

Charlton - 1978 - Div.2 - 31,000

Blackpool - 1978 - Div.2 - 33,000

Never saw a T-shirt with that many on! :D

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017

At a basic level, isn't the number of fans supporting the team important? I notice the difference between a full amex and a half empty one. Probably makes a difference to the players too. Might even influence performances.

Tillo

Sep 1, 2007
NSW
I believe it is 22,256 who turned up for the Combination fixture against Notts County on Feb 11 1967 when tickets for the FA Cup fourth round tie against Chelsea the following Saturday were available (I'm guessing they were sold on the turnstiles?).

I remember a reserve game when they were selling the Derby League Cup tickets was pretty huge, though not as many as 22,256 but that’s all I recall ! Any idea ?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I remember a reserve game when they were selling the Derby League Cup tickets was pretty huge, though not as many as 22,256 but that’s all I recall ! Any idea ?

From the programme against Walsall on Oct 5 1976:-

Charlton1.jpg
Charlton2.jpg

And from the programme against Derby in that League Cup 4th round tie:-

Charlton3.jpg

So, a crowd of 17,554.

By the way, those were the days when we had some fantastic names amongst the reserves. Vaughan Woolley and Carmine Porpora set a very high standard indeed; perhaps not in the class of George Cowmeadow, but then, who is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here