Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3-4-3

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I've only seen the highlights of preseason games, but really like the fluidity of this formation. Fully expect it to be 5-4-1 at City/Liverpool away though.

So glad to see the 4-3-3 gone, and even the structured 4-4-1-1, which arguably served us so well for a season. Time to kick on now and see what happens. Up the Albion!

Ah, read that as "54-1 at City/Liverpool away" :wrong::blush:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's been a long time coming considering all the good CB's we have had and not used. Playing 3 at the back has always been an option under Hughton with Uwe, Goldson and Burn not being utilised and only being used as rare back ups to Dunk and Duffy. Out of all of them I feel most sorry for Uwe wasting his playing career here under Hughton who I always thought was quite harsh in this respect.

I think it is better for the squad as a whole for a manager to be more open minded than rigid in their footballing philosophy where a player may only have one game a season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ok, but 3 central defenders, 2 wing backs joining the midfield and 3 interchangeable forwards.

Dunk, Duffy, Burn and Webster and Bernardo even the young Romanian if needed are more than adequate and IMO will only get better as a unit.

if we are going to play this system then we definitely need another attacking right back as cover for Montoya who I think will thrive in that position. Solly and Bernardo are the two for LWB.

Our front 3 at the moment we can choose from: Murray, Locadia, Trossard, Ali J, Gross and Andone.

That system suits all those forwards, if we don’t sign another striker it won’t be the end of the world IMO providing that’s the formation we play.

My concern is CM. Stephens, Propper, Altaze and Kayal and maybe Gross is what we have at the moment and is totally lightweight We need to spend big on a real tough tackling playmaker who will be the heart beat of the team. Who will get assists and score goals. He is the missing part of the 3-4-3 jigsaw.

Exciting times again on the BHA rollercoaster! Strap in hold tight and enjoy the ride !!!

Excellent summary. I like Montoya but not convinced at him RWB based on last night. Passed backwards a lot, although admittedly there wasn’t much going on ahead of him. I like what I see of the system but I do like good old fashioned wingers like Knocky & Izzy - not sure where Izzy fits in to that system... of course, we’ll change shapes etc but this looks like Potters’ main choice.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Excellent summary. I like Montoya but not convinced at him RWB based on last night. Passed backwards a lot, although admittedly there wasn’t much going on ahead of him. I like what I see of the system but I do like good old fashioned wingers like Knocky & Izzy - not sure where Izzy fits in to that system... of course, we’ll change shapes etc but this looks like Potters’ main choice.

Think they’ll be a lot of flexibility regarding the 2 attackers playing alongside the more traditional striker. In some games we’ll opt for players who look more comfortable through the middle, and in others utilise wider players like Izzy

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think they’ll be a lot of flexibility regarding the 2 attackers playing alongside the more traditional striker. In some games we’ll opt for players who look more comfortable through the middle, and in others utilise wider players like Izzy

Yep there’s a freedom there isn’t there. On a side note, Andone was excellent and sharp when he came on yesterday running he channels. The most underrated player on NSC imo.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Back in the day when CH was our manager, looking forward to next season I felt that apart from a new RB to replace Bruno (Tavenier, £6 - £8 - maybe £10M) what we needed was aa beast of a CM (maybe two of them) in the Gerrard, Souness, Vierra mould (only a bit cheaper - maybe £30 - £40M each) - our attackers, I thought, were OK if given more supply and support in the penalty area from CM.
Now Potter has come in and shaken things up, I still think we're OK for attackers. The team looks better, more lively, more aggressive ......................... but ............... Stephens and Propper in CM; they're not bad players - in fact they're pretty good players, BUT, they're not scaring anybody. We still need that beast.

We have got Bissouma and the other youngster from Man City to try and win the CM roles, maybe including Bernardo too. Every professional player should be able to play several positions rather than sticking to a specific zone in a rigid formation. And every player should be able to get into a scoring position once a game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yep there’s a freedom there isn’t there. On a side note, Andone was excellent and sharp when he came on yesterday running he channels. The most underrated player on NSC imo.

Totally agree and I think his style of play is ideal for this new system. I can’t imagine it will be long before Andone is starting up front - hopefully next Saturday.

Murray is a legend and a great option to have still but I do hope that option is from the bench.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We have got Bissouma and the other youngster from Man City to try and win the CM roles, maybe including Bernardo too. Every professional player should be able to play several positions rather than sticking to a specific zone in a rigid formation. And every player should be able to get into a scoring position once a game.
Yes, and we've got some who don't!

NorthStanding

May 15, 2016
Good old Sussex by the sea
Was it 343 or 523 or 3421 or 3223 or 32221 or 5221 or....The main thing is that the players seem to taken the new shape onboard and it provides us with better attacking options

Mostly a 3-4-2–1 as Murray needs a couple of yards head start! Fancy it’ll be more of a straightforward, but fluid, 3-4-3 if a quicker striker bought. Maupay or the Leganés striker would give more balance in the attacking third

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStanding

May 15, 2016
Interesting that the continental side were set up as a 4 4 2.

I am very excited about the season although I must admit to a huge amount of nerves.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Watford mostly 4-4-2 last season, Valencia perfect warm up match if stays the same. Albion played through the lines superbly at times, letting the ball do the work in triangles. Much to like about Potter’s style of play, just need to fix a couple of positions and work on producing more in the final third, instead of running out of ideas and straight into defenders.

NorthStanding

May 15, 2016
I've only seen the highlights of preseason games, but really like the fluidity of this formation. Fully expect it to be 5-4-1 at City/Liverpool away though.

So glad to see the 4-3-3 gone, and even the structured 4-4-1-1, which arguably served us so well for a season. Time to kick on now and see what happens. Up the Albion!

It was never a 4-3-3 under Hughton, more like a 6-3-1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here