Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] 2x return from Newcastle to London on LNER. Guess how much?

How much do LNER want for a Newcastle to London return?

• Over £200

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Over £300

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Over £400

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • Over £500

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Over £600

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Over £700

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Over £800

Votes: 10 8.6%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do they still have those 10 Euro tickets for June, July and August respectively? Visited Berlin in June and a couple of other places later in August 2022, best tickets ever!
I have not kept up with this but the wife said the ticket you refer to was a post-Covid deal in place of the usual €65 a month ticket. But due to its huge popularity they decided to compromise going forward long term and have introduced a €30 monthly ticket for all of the Berlin BVG public transport (buses, trams, u-Bahn and s-Bahn). There’s also a €50 ticket you can use across all of Germany DB network apart from ICEs (inter city trains).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm up and down to Liverpool all the time and can't realistically set a return date.

£135 pop a time (for a 2 hour journey) and I never travel peak. Sometimes the coaches are very empty and I always get a table.

It's a disgrace.

The one that also annoys me is travelling down to Sussex early on a weekday. Peak prices, no bugger on the train.

Sometimes I'm the only person in the CARRIAGE

Thieves.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
So many knobs on that thread who COMPLETELY miss the point by telling us that they can find a cheaper ticket if they do x/y/z (and probably travel at specific times. WTF happened to "Can I have a second class return to Nottingham please?"

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not going to defend the absurd pricing of train tickets but it can be done a lot cheaper by going on a nominated train rather than anytime. You can't compare with flying because you can't get 'anytime' flight tickets! Also, I very much doubt you could turn up today and book a flight to Newcastle.
Not exactly the same thing, but I have rocked up at an airport and bought a ticket for a flight that morning. It cost significantly less than the £195 per single fare quoted in that tweet.

I will admit that not being overly concerned by where exactly the plane ended up helped with that, so I wouldn't recommend it if you have a crucial meeting with somebody in a fixed location.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is it actually cheaper by air? a quick look shows Heathow £440 (1hr) and Gatwick £230 via Belfast (5hrs). then cabs/train the other end.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
I have not kept up with this but the wife said the ticket you refer to was a post-Covid deal in place of the usual €65 a month ticket. But due to its huge popularity they decided to compromise going forward long term and have introduced a €30 monthly ticket for all of the Berlin BVG public transport (buses, trams, u-Bahn and s-Bahn). There’s also a €50 ticket you can use across all of Germany DB network apart from ICEs (inter city trains).
Thanks for your answer! Yeah, those tickets a couple of years ago where almost too good to be true, but the tickets you mention at €30/€50 is still damn good! I think it's SEK1020 a month here in Stockholm now, just for the tube (must be around €80).

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Except it's not true.

This is per person. So - £312, not £786. Still expensive mind you.
View attachment 182653
£156 is crazy, but not as crazy as a Brighton to London Travelcard booked a month in advance costing almost half that for a fraction of the distance and journey time.

1000030624.jpg

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Had a 2 hour train journey in Taiwan on a lovely train for £2.

Reactions: cjd

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is a dividend to pay for the luxury of anytime travel. The fare to London would be considerably cheaper if travelled off peak!!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We are going to Newcastle from Brighton on 1st June returning on 5th Leaving each time at 9.30am. Tickets £142 each

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Wouldn’t happen in Germany.
I got two return tickets from Augsburg to Cologne for £50 each. That’s a distance of about 250 miles. Incredible that we get charged so much in the UK. That is a special price for the Euros, but still, we’d never even agree deals like that in the first place.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Ok - here is the challenge- who can find cheaper !

By reading the Twitter posts I think the journeys are booked for week after next Tues - Thurs.

I’ve got under £100

IMG_5583.png

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
I've feel I've done rather well then...going to Newcastle from Burgess hill on Sat morning and returning tuesday midday, all be it, I booked it way back end of Feb but I've only paid £130, 2 x advance singles Kings X and return with reserved seats and a return tkt to St Pancs from BHill. No railcards or discounts. Is that good???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here