Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2nd Test Eng v NZ @ Headingly

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England all out, New Zealand win by 199 runs.

An entertaining and pretty evenly matched 'series' ends 1-1

Both matches were won in the last session on the 5th day. What more could you want from Test Match cricket?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair outcome but to be leading two series in a row going into the final test and losing them both is a concern. Not as big a concern as how the fvck we're going to deal with Mitchell Johnson, but a concern nonetheless.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Drop Bell, reshuffle the order with Moeen further up, get another spinner in. Hope and pray Cook retains his form, Lyth grows and Ballance remembers how he averaged 60 odd!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Questions should be asked about Bell and the inability of our batsmen to capitalise on a good opening stand. We desperately need a solid batsmen to come in at 4 or 5 and hold the team together. Is Moeen good enough to do that?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The choice re The Ashes seems to be:

a) Ignore Pietersen, pray for a major miracle that we might compete with them in the forthcoming series, or
b) Pick Pietersen, at least be competitive in the series but Cooky and Straussy lose face.

It seems that they've already gone with Option A.

However, what we've learned in the West Indies and NZ series is that Bell and Ballance are woefully out of form, and how Lyth will play is anyone's guess. I don't see that the introduction of Pietersen is going to upset an already well-oiled machine because it's not functioning that well without him.

I predict that we'll ignore Pietersen, we'll lose the Ashes 3-1 and Gary Ballance's international career will be over before the last test.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair outcome but to be leading two series in a row going into the final test and losing them both is a concern.
But we didn't lose this series.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I agree with the first part, but a kick up the arse? Surely they got that went losing the final test to the West Indies?

What this series has shown is that there's not much difference between England and New Zealand - we suspected as much before it started. If England don't make personnel changes it stands to reason they will lose the Ashes series to Australia.

We need a proper spinner and a reliable top order batsman who is up for it.

English cricket can never have enough kicks up the arse!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here