• Other-Please State

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think in order to qualify for most fav band of all time suggests that some degree of longevity is needed. One Direction can be included if they are still famous in 10 or so years time.

I have also gone for the Stones. Possibly due to the fact that whether you like music or not, young or old people will have heard of the stones and be able to name 1 song and the lead singer. Not sure about Pink Floyd or Led Zep can match that.

One Direction are definitely up there whether you if you like them or not. They've got a huge, huge following around the world, and most people have heard of them. I would genuinely put them in the top if not top 3. I would say The Stones 2nd. Led Zepellin isn't particularly big around my generation, whilst The Stones are. People wear their T-Shirts with the lips and tongue on even if they don't know their songs.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Weren't Queen an old 70s band? Smile!

Very good but then AC/DC have been going longer and also sell out stadiums!! Doesn't mtake them the '2nd' band as per the OP.

I have digressed from original post. Point I'm making is that between them AC/DC, Maiden and Metallica are all going strong selling serious amounts, packing out stadiums and perhaps getting little credit as perhaps considered uncool. And all still producing new material rather than total reliance on back catalogue.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I have digressed from original post. Point I'm making is that between them AC/DC, Maiden and Metallica are all going strong selling serious amounts, packing out stadiums and perhaps getting little credit as perhaps considered uncool. And all still producing new material rather than total reliance on back catalogue.

I agree,globally Maiden are massive,as it stands today must be top 5

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think in order to qualify for most fav band of all time suggests that some degree of longevity is needed.
The OP isn't about favourite bands. It's not even about good bands. Simply the most famous. If they were famous for not being able to sing, that would still count.

whether you like music or not, young or old people will have heard of the stones and be able to name 1 song and the lead singer. Not sure about Pink Floyd or Led Zep can match that.
Indeed. Ignoring naming a song, or the lead singer (as that doesn't count), I imagine less people have heard of Floyd.

So, what counts as most famous? If it most number of people having heard of them? If so, then you need to know which bands are famous in China and India.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The Jimi Hendrix experience/ Band of gypsies. Still selling millions!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just done a snap poll of the 11 year Australian girls in my classroom

8 have heard of the Stones
5 have heard of Queen
3 have heard of Pink Floyd
1 has heard of Led Zeppelin
11 have heard of ABBA
11 have heard of ACDC (but then they are Australian)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Rolling Stones ....the answer is definitely not Queen

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
It's a shame that The Stones and Queen have become their own tribute bands, whereas Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin have manged to retain that je ne sais quoi that means they retain something of a legendary mystique.

However, this doesn't necessarily make them more famous. So although Zep and Floyd have shifted more albums, The Stones are the more famous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here