Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 28 years ago tonight....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

One of the all time great international football moments, I'm sure for most people like me everyone can remember where they were when Higuita did the 'scorpion kick'. Still astonishing to watch now. Literally remember standing there watching it in the Ship and agog at what had just happened, the whole pub couldn't believe what we had just seen.

Last edited:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I was watching, we were incredulous… and remain so.

The dictionary definition of FLAIR.

The hair, the look, the sheer audacity.

Up there with this for me…

Are you serious? That's a great goal of course, but in terms of attempting it, it's hardly a ******* mental idea.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I was there. I was working for 90 Minutes football magazine and had been covering all of England's friendlies in the lead up to Euro 96 which, I have to say, was bloody depressing. What amazes me is that the official attendance that evening was 20,000 which was clearly made up as the place was empty. Imagine an England game at Wembley now with an attendance that low? It was 0-0 too and it was a stinker of a game.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Just look at the Wembley attendances that year or so. Shockingly bad...

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 09.58.23.png

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I was there. I was working for 90 Minutes football magazine and had been covering all of England's friendlies in the lead up to Euro 96 which, I have to say, was bloody depressing. What amazes me is that the official attendance that evening was 20,000 which was clearly made up as the place was empty. Imagine an England game at Wembley now with an attendance that low? It was 0-0 too and it was a stinker of a game.
It wasn't a classic that's for sure but even if it has been it would still only be remembered for that moment of footballing immortality from Higuita.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
As it was offside and play had stopped, I would say his scorpion kick was actually a petulant kicking of the ball away. A clear example of time-wasting.

I think I speak for everyone when I say he should have received a yellow.

[edit] I never realised play continued!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thought I’d open this thread just to say “I didn’t even know England were playing that night etc etc “

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here