Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

27th April 1996

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I was sat in the South Stand and I seem to remember that there were some that took exception to the 'callous attitude' of some to simply wreak havoc as opposed to concentrating on the real issue in hand.

Those were my thoughts too, I swear a lot of those on the pitch thought it was a riot from the days of the seventies. And just who was the bloke who jumped out of the West side, ripped off the advertising signs and threw them into the crowd?

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
The FL, who had chosen to do nothing, were now forced to take notice. This was the last day of the season and this game was vital to York & carlisle as to who would go down (with Albion) and the big thing was that final day matches had to be played together.

The FL were mightily embarresed but then they should have done something sooner. What ever happened to that smug Graham Kelly?

What happened regarding this?

YCTV

Mar 12, 2010
What happened regarding this?

The match was replayed after the end of the season. We came down to the Goldstone for an 11am kick off Thursday morning needing to either win, or score 3 goals, to stay up and send Carlisle down.

Craig Maskill curled the ball beautifully into the top corner to put Brighton 1-0 at half-time and I sat there with my head in my hands as we stared relegation in the face. However, the second half was a complete contrast, York coming out and scoring three goals and we stayed up at Carlisle's expense.

My three abiding memories of that day are the Carlisle fan who travelled down to the game (!), York legend Johny Byrne coming on for Brighton as sub, and going out round Brighton - as you can imagine we got absolutely smashed.

It was weird because we were put in the same area of the ground as we did on the day of the abandonment and the contrast was remarkable - barely a soul in the ground, I think the crowd was about 1,000 as Brighton fans were discouraged from coming.

Some of your comments about how it seems like another world and as though it's like watching someone else's club - I know how you feel completely. York now play in the Conference sometimes in front of crowds of only a few hundred - today, for example, I am going across to Altrincham to watch us where the crowd will be about 1,500. Watching the footage makes me feel sad that we used to play some great clubs at great places with great atmospheres and all that has been lost.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
It was weird because we were put in the same area of the ground as we did on the day of the abandonment and the contrast was remarkable - barely a soul in the ground, I think the crowd was about 1,000 as Brighton fans were discouraged from coming.

2,106 was the attendance, of which I was a part having bunked off school! A very bizarre footballing experience.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Carlisle have never forgiven us.

My lad swapped shirts with a York fan on the 1st game and still had, and wore, that shirt for many years until it more of less fell apart. hopefully his lightblue/black striped Albion shirt received the same respect.

The replayed game was played at 11.00'ish on a working day to make it awkward fro fans to attend and I don't think the whole ground was open. It was a very wierd atmosphere, like a pre-season friendly.

I hope you've checked out the other thread doing the rounds about this day. Johnny Byrne is still here and is the BBC radio 'expert' at home games and very popular. He often mentions his time at York. He also, i believe, works as a chiropodist.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
that day undoubtedly was the most important in the history of our club if that had not panned out like it did then we surely would not be on this forum today.
We would I dare to say be either shopping with the Mrs or waiting for the result of some pathetic premier side(its not real football you know)

not nice to see without knowing its meaning ............but thank God it did happen

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Those were my thoughts too, I swear a lot of those on the pitch thought it was a riot from the days of the seventies. And just who was the bloke who jumped out of the West side, ripped off the advertising signs and threw them into the crowd?

Some of the youngsters did get over excited but thats what happens in these situations. Without that young - f*** em - attitude there would have been no pitch invasion and perhaps no Albion.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Whats with 6 or so of them pricks starting on that poor fucker on his own?

Wankers

That was an off duty policeman from Littlehampton having a go at a group of lads from Littlehampton - he was asked to go and sit back down which he did - no harm done

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That was my last ever visit to the Goldstone. I have to take my hat off to all those that fought for the club the following season, but I wasn't able to return for all manner of reasons. I didn't go on the pitch that day, but was in the North Stand.

It all seemed so surreal and I really think I thought it was all over after that day. Thank goodness I was wrong.

littlehamptonbha

Jan 24, 2010
littlehampton
Whats with 6 or so of them pricks starting on that poor fucker on his own?

Wankers

he was littlehampton old bill(and bha fan) and came on to tell us he had seen us and we would all b arrested in the near future,we did not start on him,he came over to us if u look carefully,we just told him to f*** off,,,so u can stick u "pricks and wankers" comments right where the sun dont shine u mug.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We were always on the pitch , it was not a rareity. Everyother saturday outside the west stand until 6pm.

Still pissed off

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
We were always on the pitch , it was not a rareity. Everyother saturday outside the west stand until 6pm.

Still pissed off

Yes indeed. We did have some comic moments too, like when belloti was stuck inside the ground and tried to sneak out from Goldstone Lane and another time when some of us actually got in to see the prat and he was telling us of his plans for a stadium at toads hole.

It was all bullstit, of course, but I was facinated by just how long his socks were and how skinny his legs were too. (He was sitting crossed legged and had the most unusual legs, very breakable!)

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Thanks for clearing that up. Although im slightly concerned that this is your favourite ever game bar only Hereford and Doncaster :facepalm:. I can think of better spectacles than watching some mindless cretins snapping the goalposts into two. There was another thread yesterday regarding this day which someone described as peaceful. Hardly peaceful on that viewing!

You wouldn't have had any 'spectacles' to watch if we hadn't done things like that.

And yes, I'm proud of it.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I remember standing outside the Railway Bell lunchtime in glorious sunshine, the beers were flowing, people were upset and angry, thats when one of our group said "lets do the pitch at 3.15 go spread the word". In the west stand at 3.15 a certain gentleman from Worthing shouted "come on its 3.15 are we going on? " The rest is history - in this case action spoke louder than any words could have done. Well done lads - proud of you all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here