Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

27,000 crowds and we still can't sign another striker!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I cant fault your positivity, and your point regarding us not being a selling club is well made, I am however a spiteful individual who would like to see those clubs exploiting the system, putting well run compliant clubs at a huge disadvantage, 'go to the wall' metaphorically speaking, points deductions are the only way to make the punishment fit the crime.

Leeds, Coventry, Pompey and others have had points deductions though, so there is punishment for some financial mismanagement.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Leeds, Coventry, Pompey and others have had points deductions though, so there is punishment for some financial mismanagement.

You don't go into administration if you are awash with cash donated from some shonky deal.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You don't go into administration if you are awash with cash donated from some shonky deal.....

If someone wants to stick money into a club then why not let them?

We have not complained about TB spunking over £150million on the Amex, Lancing and underwriting our losses for the last ten years.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Bore off.......only one of them actually playing.....I watched Barker for the u21's today, not good enough, so that leaves us going nowhere fast. Low end of mid table, and I am not being melodramatic.

think we'll only ever play one, but agree, need back up for Leo.....loan window opens before Reading, so no need to panic.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

We have not complained about TB spunking over £150million on the Amex, Lancing and underwriting our losses for the last ten years.

Point being that points are only deducted for administration,.....not exceeding turnover vs wages budgets....or indeed annual losses.

Last edited:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

What happens if the money runs out? Obviously if like Tony you've spent it on bricks and mortar you're left with an asset, if you've spent it on player wages and are left with an overblown wage bill then you're pompeyfied.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What happens if the money runs out? Obviously if like Tony you've spent it on bricks and mortar you're left with an asset, if you've spent it on player wages and are left with an overblown wage bill then you're pompeyfied.

It's no different to any other business then.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Bore off.......only one of them actually playing.....I watched Barker for the u21's today, not good enough, so that leaves us going nowhere fast. Low end of mid table, and I am not being melodramatic.
If you're such an expert, why are you not a football manager? We are not a huge club just because we have a big stadium, particularly since we've not actually paid for it yet. 5 strikers is luxury in our position. It is just unfortunate that so many are injured.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was an interesting interview with Platini in the Standard yesterday. He confirmed that the only penalties for breaching FFP (as far as UEFA was concerned) was a possible ban from European competition - and that as a last resort. All other penalties were from domestic leagues.

So, if (say) 80% of league clubs breached FFP, there would be nothing stopping them putting a motion together at the next League meeting scrapping all financial penalties. Yes, there would be the chance that there'd be no CL football but I reckon the likes of Forest and Leicester would happily accept that

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There was an interesting interview with Platini in the Standard yesterday. He confirmed that the only penalties for breaching FFP (as far as UEFA was concerned) was a possible ban from European competition - and that as a last resort. All other penalties were from domestic leagues.

So, if (say) 80% of league clubs breached FFP, there would be nothing stopping them putting a motion together at the next League meeting scrapping all financial penalties. Yes, there would be the chance that there'd be no CL football but I reckon the likes of Forest and Leicester would happily accept that

It's a possibility I suppose, but there are not that many teams willing to gamble their futures to reach the promised land of the Premier league at the moment. Most League 1 and 2 and some championship sides are just trying to survive. FFP, whilst not fair, at least is trying to level the playing field a bit for those without super-rich sugar daddies.

There is always the possibility that the Championship splits away from the football league (Prem League div 2 as it were), but I really cannot see that happening. The other possibility, is the biggest clubs all bugger off and play in a European Super League taking Sky's money with them, which would be a financial catastrophe for those left behind.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The other possibility, is the biggest clubs all bugger off and play in a European Super League taking Sky's money with them, which would be a financial catastrophe for those left behind.

And irrespective of FFP those non Prem clubs which are trying to operate within their budget would be the chief winners in that situation. Admittedly we/they would lose the current Sky income, but would be in a much better position to thrive than those that have over-spent or relied totally on the TV money in the Prem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And irrespective of FFP those non Prem clubs which are trying to operate within their budget would be the chief winners in that situation. Admittedly we/they would lose the current Sky income, but would be in a much better position to thrive than those that have over-spent or relied totally on the TV money in the Prem.

Quite. And the idea of a European Super League can never be ruled out - there a few mega rich Russian clubs who might fancy it

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Yes indeed. We/they would thrive domestically - any further than that would depend upon whether a European Super League was a closed shop or not.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I think most do grasp the intent and constraints of FFP. But none of us know where the club stand relative to what is "allowed", other than being told losses will be similar, which is somewhat mystifying.

I agree with others that we didn't need to sign a striker but we definitely need to pick someone up on a short term loan when window opens next week, and if FFP is trotted out again as a reason not to, then add me to the list of thicko's

Hah, consider yourself duly added. But I'm in front of you I'm afraid, not entirely because I'm thick but because I am for my sins (many) a footy fan. For Olde Pharts like myself being a supporter means a bit of excitement watching the game, counting how many chips I've got ??? And being happy or pizzed off depending. Having to consider being some sort of bean counter isn't a consideration. The worlds gone :banana::banana:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's a possibility I suppose, but there are not that many teams willing to gamble their futures to reach the promised land of the Premier league at the moment. Most League 1 and 2 and some championship sides are just trying to survive. FFP, whilst not fair, at least is trying to level the playing field a bit for those without super-rich sugar daddies.

There is always the possibility that the Championship splits away from the football league (Prem League div 2 as it were), but I really cannot see that happening. The other possibility, is the biggest clubs all bugger off and play in a European Super League taking Sky's money with them, which would be a financial catastrophe for those left behind.

If the structures evolve yet further then I think it more likely that a Prem 2 will come before the European League. In saying that the English teams for such a super league have pretty well self selected now so it's always a possibility. IMO a lot of the "nonsense" could be dealt with if the likes of Sky and other broadcasters came in with more "sensible" numbers but it would take a great deal of discipline. I also think these people could potentially improve football throughout the lower leagues by making their bids contingent on a fairer distribution of cash through the leagues - it's utopian I know but one can always dream!

Hah, consider yourself duly added. But I'm in front of you I'm afraid, not entirely because I'm thick but because I am for my sins (many) a footy fan. For Olde Pharts like myself being a supporter means a bit of excitement watching the game, counting how many chips I've got ??? And being happy or pizzed off depending. Having to consider being some sort of bean counter isn't a consideration. The worlds gone :banana::banana:

TBH I loathe it. Some of these "rules" are put in place by even thicker bureaucrats who can't see the wood for the trees. A lot of the game is so much better than 25 or so years ago but an awful lot is worse ... I understand the money side well but it rules too much now and FFP is largely irrelevant in trying to tackle the issues. What needs to happen is for clubs to be able to generate sufficient income for them to survive and be competitive .. dealing with TV revenue is the only way that will ever happen, so that's that

I'm with you though and for me match day is still number 1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here