Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 years on, that game England v West Germany, WC Semi-final

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Apart from Bournemouth of course.

Yeah cause they're going to challenge just like Derby Villa Forest Watford Ipswich QPR Norwich whilst United finish mid table and Chelsea struggle to stay in the top 2 divisions...

Macca the attacker

Apr 7, 2010
I was there in Turin that day 25 years ago.

The team evolved during the tournament, wth Platt coming in and we got better as the games came and went.when it came to pens I really thought we'd win, as I thought Shilts would save at least one.

As England fans we wer outnumbered at least three to one, and as someone else said, there were empty seats there. I always remember the flats in Turin draped in Italian flags, something we now do here, and it was the last tournament we had Union Flags, rather than the St, Geoge Cross.

'All Played Out' is an excellent read covering the England journey.
Strange now seeing all those union flags as opposed to the norm you get at England games now!

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Unfortunately, this is a small foot note in history as far as German world cup history is concerned.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Linekers goal that night is the only time I have lost it 'Albion style' at another team scoring. Proper nuts. The pub I was in was like a riot when that went in.
The thing that I still remember from that night is the genuine shock I felt when Pearce missed, everyone assumed he'd score. I felt no shock at all when Waddle missed!!!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was a young man back then and England came before the Albion

strange how times change,I suppose time is running out and I'd really like to see the Albion to do something big

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hated that German team, bunch of divers especially Klinsmann and Berthold rolling around to seal Gazza's yellow card fate.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
This was definitely football pre-globalisation. English players hadn't kicked in a ball in Europe for 5 years yet made a semi final on foreign soil.
Agree with the degree of achievement but, being pedantic, Waddle was playing full-time in France (Marseille) and Sreven, Stevens and Woods had played in the European Cup thatcseason for Rangers.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Was working for a bank in Jersey and watched it at a huge concert venue on the Esplanade in St Helier. I was convinced Chris Waddle's shot was going in - it just seemed to curve away at the last second. Also makes you remember what a fantastic player Gascoigne was.

Went to a bar in the town after the game totally depressed - we so should have won. And the bloody German comes up to us all patronising saying how sorry he was for us. I wanted to punch his bloody lights out.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Sums it up perfectly
Amazing year, went to Thailand came home in time for World Cup lived just of Western Road close to pubs to watch games in and stagger home either in jubilation or tears, remember watching England games in LAINGS pub down Preston street, amazing times Of warehouse Parties ACID rave scene Stone Roses, winning the World Cup at that moment in time would have been so special but in real life it never quite works out that way
Looking forward to seeing the new series of THIS IS ENGLAND 90 in the autumn to see how this brilliant time is portrayed by Shane Meadows
Happy days Mr S. Warehouse parties naughty naughty very naughty. Great days like you said the world cup would've been the icing on the cake. .

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I know who I want for the team sports personality of the year the Women England Football Team well done girls. ����

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ironic that the women beat Za Germans 25 years to the day in a World Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here