Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25 points dropped from winning position

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
End the season how we started, conceding an improbable worldie goal to a player who never scores.

The only difference being this time it wasn't our keepers fault. :whistle:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What’s the pattern, last league game it happened in was Wolves on Jan 02nd. You’re never more vulnerable than when you’ve just scored us a timeless adage because it’s true and not unique to us, just like there’s more goals in the last 10mins as teams take risks, players get tired, more mistakes.

Totally agree need to work on concentration, game management, plus other things like scoring, just not sure there is that much of a pattern.

Last league game maybe but it certainly happened against Newport as well.

As [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] says there is a pattern adequately described in the thread title. We're a team who need a two goal lead who struggle to score two goals in a game. Needs working on.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Worst record in PL...

Why we CAN defend well until we score, but after that everything is changing for wrong?

Weak mentality? Wrong tactical instructions? Why we can not LEARN ON THIS MISTAKE at all?

Obviously I know is impossible to defend it every time but if you add 25 points we would be 5th in the table right now...

Haven't we been here before?
We got another point.
We didn't loooooose.
We've secured another season in the PL.
We have an owner, a decent manager and squad who are still learning.
We are only Brighton and Hove Albion.

FFS :thumbsup:

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It’s because we get a little desperate to hang on. Like the “winning at home”stat it becomes a burden. So keen to defend the crosses, bissouma clearance cannons off Lallana, white on the floor and Webster knocked over as a result means the gap to shoot opened up perfectly for SB.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Last night was a freak one, but it does play into a narrative that we simply can't hold onto a lead (or in some cases a point), even in the dying minutes. This in turn encourages teams to keep trying against us, and causes our players (and fans) to lack confidence, which will play out next season with fans in if there's nerves knocking around every time we're 1-0 up after 86 minutes.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Sorry the only Tosh is those gobshites living west of Sussex and there are plenty.

We are Brighton, moving in the right direction, in my opinion.We do not have a divine right to being in the Premier League, I have been watching them for over 55 years and have learnt Brighton over the years, what have we learnt in our second incarnation of the top league?
When dont have the funding of the top ten, which is fine, we are in progress.
backwards in the league position and points, didn’t realize the season was over. But even if this is our points total this year, you have to be blind or a complete **** to not see improvement and exciting way we are progressing.
Waiting for the Blah blah blah, I have been supporting longer than you, if you have you should know better, you know when we have come from and should be supporting the vision of where we are going.

I fully respect however you right to your opinion, but when you truly love something, it hurts personally when someone knocks it.

Always a Brighton supporter Win, Lose or Draw........no matter which league we play in

Brighton till you die?

Understand what you say, but why has scoring first but ultimately drawing or losing “shown how far we come”. I did say we have “more than likely gone backwards” this year as we will probably finish in 17th on a lower points than last year. We have won 8 out of 36 games so far!
No where have I questioned your support nor would I. I think, for all our different opinions, we all support the club.
My personal opinion is we have under performed this year with the side we have and should have been a lot higher then 17th. Next season is a big season for Potter and the club and hopefully he can install some mental strength in to the side as well as some more goals.

Last edited:

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Did Bissouma panic? I thought he looked up and was trying to play a long ball upfield for a counter attack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Understand what you say, but why has scoring first but ultimately drawing or losing “shown how far we come”. I did say we have “more than likely gone backwards” this year as we will probably finish in 17th on a lower points than last year. We have won 8 out of 36 games so far!
No where have I questioned your support nor would I. I think, for all our different opinions, we all support the club.
My personal opinion is we have under performed this year with the side we have and should have been a lot higher then 17th. Next season is a big season for Potter and the club and hopefully he can install some mental strength in to the side as well as some more goals.

Well said.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
People quote Alan Hanson because he was wrong.

He was only wrong once which was my point I suppose.

I really can’t think of any fantastic trophy winning sides packed with youth, it’s only that Man Utd side with the Nevilles, Butt, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs.

Hanson’s logic is true for 99% of circumstances.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember the promise of the first league game under Potter. Take the lead v watford, bring on two attackers and extend the lead. Since then, unless we're playing Newcastle, it seems to be a case of take the lead then sit back and wait. And that doesn't tend to work out so well.

DavePage

My thought was that apart from our promotion year when we looked sublime, we under CH never gave the feeling that would could beat sides and that the priority was not to lose.
Where we are now I feel that we could certainly mix it with the big boys, strangely not with the teams below us. Has to be something, mental there or maybe the opposition have more desire.
we have evolved from having a midfield that could only pass sideways or backwards and it was frustrating to watch for me.
True it could be said that we still pass back, but now the confidence of the triangular passing system throughout our defence and midfield stands out.
I see bigger teams try to play out from the back and don't look as fluid as we do, It has been a brave system to adopt, which had a learning curve but not you see our players working harder to make this work.
I’m probably that odd one out with think that the forwards haven’t been too bad, it’s almost as if the triangular passing impedes us when it is adopted at the front, the ball is not reaching our forwards quick enough to have an impact on the opposition. Too many passes across the 18 yd area giving the defence time to get back and reset.
Teams are defending a lot deeper against now, where before it seemed like “it’s only Brighton” so would not create a threat.

Of course it’s all opinions, how often have you watched a game on the TV or in the pub or heaven forbid watch it live and the people think the player that in your mind was MOM others are saying played a stinker.

Under GP I’m excited to watch them play, under CH it was predictable and boring. It doesn’t go unnoticed the the goals that have beaten us this year in the most part have been absolute crackers.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
My thought was that apart from our promotion year when we looked sublime, we under CH never gave the feeling that would could beat sides and that the priority was not to lose.
Where we are now I feel that we could certainly mix it with the big boys, strangely not with the teams below us. Has to be something, mental there or maybe the opposition have more desire.
we have evolved from having a midfield that could only pass sideways or backwards and it was frustrating to watch for me.
True it could be said that we still pass back, but now the confidence of the triangular passing system throughout our defence and midfield stands out.
I see bigger teams try to play out from the back and don't look as fluid as we do, It has been a brave system to adopt, which had a learning curve but not you see our players working harder to make this work.
I’m probably that odd one out with think that the forwards haven’t been too bad, it’s almost as if the triangular passing impedes us when it is adopted at the front, the ball is not reaching our forwards quick enough to have an impact on the opposition. Too many passes across the 18 yd area giving the defence time to get back and reset.
Teams are defending a lot deeper against now, where before it seemed like “it’s only Brighton” so would not create a threat.

Of course it’s all opinions, how often have you watched a game on the TV or in the pub or heaven forbid watch it live and the people think the player that in your mind was MOM others are saying played a stinker.

Under GP I’m excited to watch them play, under CH it was predictable and boring. It doesn’t go unnoticed the the goals that have beaten us this year in the most part have been absolute crackers.

Space.

The sides that go toe to toe with us leave space. Simple as that really, because we can play we can exploit that space and put them on the back foot.

Against a side with little ambition, they don’t leave space and so we lack quality to unlock the spaces we need, even when we try to draw sides out, they stay compact enough to cut off any avenues.

Prime example last night, WHU needed to win and were on the front foot, but that also left us space to play and we could carry our own threat.

I don’t think it’s desire or mentality, if a team stays compact we need some quality to unlock them. What has happened is lacking a bit of quality we’ve committed numbers and that has left us exposed on the break.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Thats the whole point of the PL. Good players scoring good goals. On the other hand, there have been a number of ' non-crackers '

1) Man U ( h )....Stupid and unnecessary handball from Maupay
2) Saints ( h )....Rash and ill advised challenge by March
3) Leics FAC 5...Complete defensive switch off.
4) Palace ( h )....Complete defensive switch off.
5) WBA ( a )......Defenders not doing their job.
6) Leics ( h )....Terrible ricket from Sanchez
7) Sheff U ( a )....Three mistakes gifting a tap in.
...............and they are just the ones I can remember that led to winning goals. There is another list ( longer ) that led to other opposition goals. On a final note...are you saying that the whole of CH's tenure was predictable and boring, or just his time in the PL? If its the latter, then you clearly didn't see the brilliant team goal at Stoke. The many superb counter attacking goals, with the inspirational and exciting Izquierdo at the forefront. And at times, some superb defending. Sure, the wheels fell off and we needed a change but there was still some bloody good football played.

DavePage

Thats the whole point of the PL. Good players scoring good goals. On the other hand, there have been a number of ' non-crackers '

1) Man U ( h )....Stupid and unnecessary handball from Maupay
2) Saints ( h )....Rash and ill advised challenge by March
3) Leics FAC 5...Complete defensive switch off.
4) Palace ( h )....Complete defensive switch off.
5) WBA ( a )......Defenders not doing their job.
6) Leics ( h )....Terrible ricket from Sanchez
7) Sheff U ( a )....Three mistakes gifting a tap in.
...............and they are just the ones I can remember that led to winning goals. There is another list ( longer ) that led to other opposition goals. On a final note...are you saying that the whole of CH's tenure was predictable and boring, or just his time in the PL? If its the latter, then you clearly didn't see the brilliant team goal at Stoke. The many superb counter attacking goals, with the inspirational and exciting Izquierdo at the forefront. And at times, some superb defending. Sure, the wheels fell off and we needed a change but there was still some bloody good football played.

No I was just generalizing about CH latter years to save banging on for another couple of paragraphs, would it not be fair to say that every team lets in sloppy goals but it is the sublime strikes you have little chance to defend, apart from when a panicked clearance sets up that cracker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here