Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25 Man Squad - Summer 2022 Edition

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Interesting. Sure looks like it.

Maybe a potential third keeper?

Could also be part of a training course if he is getting his certificates and needs/wants to do internship somewhere.

He’s either training for fitness (like Dale Stephens was) or here for a trial. I would have thought if he was doing any coaching badges he’d be dressed in the same kit as our coaches.

Having him as a potential 3rd keeper could make sense and allow more of our youngsters to go out on loan without keeping someone back for potential cover. If he’s happy with not playing much, or only playing in the U21s as an overage player.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He’s either training for fitness (like Dale Stephens was) or here for a trial. I would have thought if he was doing any coaching badges he’d be dressed in the same kit as our coaches.

Having him as a potential 3rd keeper could make sense and allow more of our youngsters to go out on loan without keeping someone back for potential cover. If he’s happy with not playing much, or only playing in the U21s as an overage player.

If its just for training/fitness purposes then why us? He's been at Huddersfield, Swansea, and Derby most recently so presumably he and his family are not based in Sussex. Potential free transfer in to allow Scherpen his loan move out?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If its just for training/fitness purposes then why us? He's been at Huddersfield, Swansea, and Derby most recently so presumably he and his family are not based in Sussex. Potential free transfer in to allow Scherpen his loan move out?

Ben Roberts was goalkeeping coach while Hamer was at Charlton so it could be BR doing a mate a favour allowing him to train with us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just as the first team squad arrive in Portugal Connolly posts a video of himself on a boat in Venice. [emoji1309]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah if they're only bringing a (somewhat) limited amount of players to Portugal, I think we can be pretty certain that Connolly isn't going there. As things stand he is very far from getting any game time in the first team. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

St Mark's Basilica?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sima, Østigård and Richards departures announced today ? ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd heard McGill was being released. I thought I was imagining it.
Naylor reported he was intending to leave last month “in search of game time”

https://twitter.com/andynaylorbhafc/status/1524733372630802434?s=21&t=6xZSK6nfbj5pCTQVTfL-yQ

The 1 year contract extension / option could still mean he is - but also means Albion can now earn a fee if he does.
He doesn't seem to have gone anywhere yet, and is at the Portugal camp.

Maybe a change of plan.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sima off to Angers for season long loan.

Window closes: Sept 1st 11pm.
u21s: Players born on or after 1 January 2001.
HGP - Home Grown Player -see below. Each squad contains no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the "HGP Player" (HGP) criteria. The rest of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be "HGP".

1. Sanchez ( HGP ) (2025)
2. Steele ( HGP ) (2023)
3. Scherpen (2025)
4. McGill (HGP) (2023)
5. Lamptey (HGP) (2025)
U21. Karbownik (2024)
6. March ( HGP ) (2024 + option)
7. Cucurella (2026)
8.Veltman (2023 + option)
9. Webster ( HGP ) ( 2026)
10. Dunk ( HGP ) (2025)
11. Duffy ( HGP ) (2023)
12. Clarke ( HGP ) (2023)
13. van Hecke (2023)
14. Østigård (2023)
U21. Offiah (2024)
U21. Turns (2024)
U21. Leonard (2023)
15. Mwepu (2025)
U21. Caicedo ( 2025)
U21. Jenks
U21. Kozlowski ( 2026)
16. Moder (2025)
17. Alzate ( HGP ) (2024)
18. Lallana ( HGP ) (2023)
19. Groß (2024)
20. Mac Allister (2023)
U21. Enciso (2026)
U21. Sarmiento (2026)
U21. Khadra (2023)
21. Richards ( HGP ) (2024)
22. Trossard (2023 + option)
23. Mitoma (2025)
24. Maupay (2023)
25. Welbeck ( HGP ) (2023 + maybe longer)
26. Undav (2026)
27. Andone (2023)
28. Zeqiri (2024)
29. Connolly ( HGP ) (2024)
U21. Ferguson

Loans out ( maximum 8 to overseas clubs ): Adingra (RUSG), Rushworth (2025/Lincoln), Roberts(2023?/Derby), Sima (2025/Angers)
Players bought this window: Enciso (2026), Adingra (2026)
Players sold this window Bissouma ( Spurs ), Cochrane ( Hearts )

HGP - A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
50 Days of the window to go !! and 25 days to Man United (A) so time to take stock here...

Current reporting suggesting that Andone, Connolly, Khadra, Richards, and of course Ostigard also seeking clubs elsewhere either on loan or permanently. You'd presumably add Duffy to that list given his World Cup / game time ambitions leaving Van Hecke to replace him.
Karbownik not in Portugal suggesting that he too is not part of Potter's 22/23 plans and i guess Clarke too.
And then its hard to tell which of the youngsters are going to step up and be regular squad players this season (Turns , Leonard , Offiah ? ) as opposed to trying their luck in the EFL etc.

So signs that the 25 + featured u21s is starting to take shape.

My sense is we have Van Hecke, Enciso, Mitoma, Undav, Sarmiento, and Koslowski as our new (Sarmiento is effectively new) squad faces for 22/23 - perhaps one of those will be loaned (Enciso ? ). Thats a far stronger squad overall (even with Biss exit) .
Tough decision to be made about Ferguson (game time loan somewhere ? , or 4th choice striker ? ) .
And more incoming is dependent on presumably Cucurella and / or injuries and/or 1-2 young loanee punts if our smart recruiters spot one. .
And presumably contracts (we hope) pending for Mac, Trossard, Ferguson ? , Maupay and the big one - Cucurella. (well why not ? )

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
50 Days of the window to go !! and 25 days to Man United (A) so time to take stock here...

Current reporting suggesting that Andone, Connolly, Khadra, Richards, and of course Ostigard also seeking clubs elsewhere either on loan or permanently. You'd presumably add Duffy to that list given his World Cup / game time ambitions leaving Van Hecke to replace him.
Karbownik not in Portugal suggesting that he too is not part of Potter's 22/23 plans and i guess Clarke too.
And then its hard to tell which of the youngsters are going to step up and be regular squad players this season (Turns , Leonard , Offiah ? ) as opposed to trying their luck in the EFL etc.

My sense is we have Van Hecke, Enciso, Mitoma, Undav, Sarmiento, and Koslowski as our new (Sarmiento is effectively new) squad faces for 22/23 - perhaps one of those will be loaned (Enciso ? ). Thats a far stronger squad overall (even with Biss exit) .
Tough decision to be made about Ferguson (game time loan somewhere ? , or 4th choice striker ? ) .
And more incoming is dependent on presumably Cucurella and / or injuries and/or 1-2 young loanee punts if our smart recruiters spot one. .
And presumably contracts (we hope) pending for Mac, Trossard, Ferguson ? , Maupay and the big one - Cucurella. (well why not ? )

I agree and my thoughts are a 27 man squad as Moder is injured.

Something like :

Sanchez ( HGP ) (2025)
Steele ( HGP ) (2023)
Scherpen (2025) or McGill (HGP) (2023) or New signing

Lamptey (HGP) (2025)
March ( HGP ) (2024 + option)
Cucurella (2026)

Veltman (2023 + option)
Webster ( HGP ) ( 2026)
Dunk ( HGP ) (2025)
Duffy ( HGP ) (2023) or Clarke ( HGP ) (2023) or New signing ( utility defender/midfielder )
van Hecke (2023)

Mwepu (2025)
Caicedo ( 2025)
Kozlowski ( 2026)
Moder (2025)
Alzate ( HGP ) (2024)
Lallana ( HGP ) (2023)
Groß (2024)
Mac Allister (2023)
Enciso (2026)
Sarmiento (2026)
Trossard (2023 + option)
Mitoma (2025)

Maupay (2023)
Welbeck ( HGP ) (2023 + maybe longer)
Undav (2026)
Ferguson

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Really think Kozlowski will be out on loan again. Injured a lot this spring and the few times he played any substantial minutes for USG he didn't really impress, and he is also very young.

As for "Shane Duffys World Cup ambitions" things are looking pretty gloomy regardless of how much football he plays, unless Chris Hughton can find a spot for him in the Ghana squad or something.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

And within this transfer window we've had £30-35m incoming for Biss, £5-8m for Ostigard, and whatever the fee for Cochrane was. For expenditure we've paid £10-15m in fees for Enciso and Adringa. So to be in the position we are with roughly plus £30m in the bank is pretty good.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As for "Shane Duffys World Cup ambitions" things are looking pretty gloomy regardless of how much football he plays, unless Chris Hughton can find a spot for him in the Ghana squad or something.

Ha ! ! yep. fair play !!
I guess he's still likely to exit though...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, any interest and I think he is off. But not quite sure there will be anyone willing to take him on on a PL wage.
I doubt he's on that much (in PL footballer-fantasy-land terms). We found takers for Molumby, Gyokeres and Longman easily enough after successful loans to the Championship. I hope he'll get a chance at the Albion - gives us cover on the LH side of defence, especially if Cucu goes.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I agree and my thoughts are a 27 man squad as Moder is injured.

Sanchez ( HGP ) (2025)
Steele ( HGP ) (2023)
Scherpen (2025) or McGill (HGP) (2023) or New signing

Lamptey (HGP) (2025)
March ( HGP ) (2024 + option)
Cucurella (2026)

Veltman (2023 + option)
Webster ( HGP ) ( 2026)
Dunk ( HGP ) (2025)
Duffy ( HGP ) (2023) or Clarke ( HGP ) (2023) or New signing ( utility defender/midfielder )
van Hecke (2023)

Mwepu (2025)
Caicedo ( 2025)
Kozlowski ( 2026)
Moder (2025)
Alzate ( HGP ) (2024)
Lallana ( HGP ) (2023)
Groß (2024)
Mac Allister (2023)
Enciso (2026)
Sarmiento (2026)
Trossard (2023 + option)
Mitoma (2025)

Maupay (2023)
Welbeck ( HGP ) (2023 + maybe longer)
Undav (2026)
Ferguson

I think this is about right. But with Moder injured, Lallana's previous injury problems, and Kozlowski being unproven (& may go out on loan) I would lean towards also signing a defensive mid player. Maybe that could be the utility defender/mid you mention, but it certainly has to be a player who can be depended upon to help close games down and nullify teams build up play in the middle of the pitch when we're in a winning position. Or be the midfield anchor when we're attacking. With Moder out, Biss gone, and Lallana's injury problems it could be argued that without that additional player our midfield is a bit lopsided towards offensive players.

I guess others will also question that given our habit of missing chances at goal last season, is that squad improved enough in the attacking areas to now capitalise on those chances. Undav, Enciso, Sarmiento, and Mitoma will give us good strength in depth, and towards the end of last season Welbeck looked great, so i'll say we're fine. Unless the perfect deal comes along for that star striker!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I doubt he's on that much (in PL footballer-fantasy-land terms). We found takers for Molumby, Gyokeres and Longman easily enough after successful loans to the Championship. I hope he'll get a chance at the Albion - gives us cover on the LH side of defence, especially if Cucu goes.

IMO the idea of seeing Shane Duffy's left foot is more frightening than thrilling, but if you say so..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here