Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25 Man Squad - January 2022 window

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Băluţa, Dendoncker, Roberts, and Richards to leave that squad list before the end of the window.

Maybe also Scherpen, which would suggest another goalkeeper would be brought in perhaps just on a short term loan.

The number of striker mugshots on the official site is now down to 2. Seems a courageous strategy to me :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Băluţa, Dendoncker, Roberts, and Richards to leave that squad list before the end of the window.

Maybe also Scherpen, which would suggest another goalkeeper would be brought in perhaps just on a short term loan.

The number of striker mugshots on the official site is now down to 2. Seems a courageous strategy to me :shrug:

When Potter got the question in the latest press conference he pretty much confirmed that Evan Ferguson is now more or less considered a first team player, and also mentioned that the window is still open. I think he is quite content with what he got but I wouldnt be shocked to see a striker coming in.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Ah yes, 'Ten Pole' Baluta, the invisible man! - three years an Albion player, a couple of appearances as an unused sub, but as far as I can remember, not a single rumour or speculation about him on NSC. Out of contract in the summer.

Can't somebody at least start one half decent rumour before he wanders off our radar? Surely he deserves that ...............

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Saw someone in another thread asking if we had a full squad out on loan. Looks like we're jolly close to it - if Richards does go, and Dendonker also, then we'll have a similar number of players out on loan as we do in the first team squad. From Papa Lazarou's lists, we'd have:

- 20 declared first team squad + 5 U21's = 25 total.
- 23 out on loan (assuming Richards and Dendonker both go out).

Still time in the window for us to buy a couple more prospects to send out to complete the 25 man loan squad :p.

Edit: and now I see there's talk of Roberts going out as well. That'd shift the totals to 24 each.

That was me, with a slightly tongue-in-cheek comment. Thanks for the details.

I had a quick count up after I'd asked the question when I saw a list elsewhere, so I knew it was close. Can't figure out if it is good business sense to invest in/gamble on players or a bit OTT and/or misleading to get players to 'sign for Brighton' when they've got little or no chance of playing. Either way, there's no way we can mock the likes of Chelsea who had about 50 players out on loan at one point or something silly!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That was me, with a slightly tongue-in-cheek comment. Thanks for the details.

I had a quick count up after I'd asked the question when I saw a list elsewhere, so I knew it was close. Can't figure out if it is good business sense to invest in/gamble on players or a bit OTT and/or misleading to get players to 'sign for Brighton' when they've got little or no chance of playing. Either way, there's no way we can mock the likes of Chelsea who had about 50 players out on loan at one point or something silly!

If I was a young footballer, I think I'd be keen on signing for Brighton:

1) If I'm good enough, the evidence is there that cracking into the match day squad is possible (eg Lamptey, Sarmiento pre-injury, Cup squads full of youth)
2) If I'm not breaking into the match day squad, the evidence is there that the club will help me find somewhere where I can (plenty out on loan already)
3) If things go well on loan, a return to the home team and opportunity to play beckons (eg White)
4) If things on loan aren't going well, a new loan opportunity is likely to be negotiated (eg Ostigard)

And ...

5) If I break into the first team and catch the eye of a top club, either a transfer or an improved contract is possible (eg White)

What I see from the outside is a club that is committed to helping young players develop and be their best, and that players who achieve that will be given first team opportunities.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
[Tweet]1479047445241868290[/Tweet]

Another Irish youngster! Presumably as the Head of Academy is John Morling who used to be Ireland U18s head coach so obviously has lots of connections over there.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
If I was a young footballer, I think I'd be keen on signing for Brighton:

1) If I'm good enough, the evidence is there that cracking into the match day squad is possible (eg Lamptey, Sarmiento pre-injury, Cup squads full of youth)
2) If I'm not breaking into the match day squad, the evidence is there that the club will help me find somewhere where I can (plenty out on loan already)
3) If things go well on loan, a return to the home team and opportunity to play beckons (eg White)
4) If things on loan aren't going well, a new loan opportunity is likely to be negotiated (eg Ostigard)

And ...

5) If I break into the first team and catch the eye of a top club, either a transfer or an improved contract is possible (eg White)

What I see from the outside is a club that is committed to helping young players develop and be their best, and that players who achieve that will be given first team opportunities.

Article in i today.'97% of the former elite acadamy players now aged 21 to 28 failed to make a single Premier League appearance'.

'Of the 4109 former academy footballers 70% were not even handed a professional contract at a Prem or league side'

Dodgy life being an academy player although (with no evidence) we seem to be doing better than the average.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Article in i today.'97% of the former elite acadamy players now aged 21 to 28 failed to make a single Premier League appearance'.

'Of the 4109 former academy footballers 70% were not even handed a professional contract at a Prem or league side'

Dodgy life being an academy player although (with no evidence) we seem to be doing better than the average.

First figure is probably not going to be that much different. Nice if you can get it down to say 90%.

The 70% is a bit of a sad figure. Plenty of them would have a professional career if they moved abroad.

Ashley Coffey is a former Bradford youth player who, after playing in several non-league sides in England, moved to Sweden two years ago. Scored 28 goals in the third tier and last year he scored 13 goals in the second division and is likely to play in Allsvenskan soon. There's a lot of players who retire from football in England who could have had professional, reasonably well-paid football careers elsewhere.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Richards loan now confirmed.

Window closes: Monday Jan 31st midnight.

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
U21. Scherpen
U21. Lamptey
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )
U21. Roberts
U21. Turns
U21. Dendonker (recalled awaiting new loan)
10. Băluţa
U21. Leonard
11. Mwepu
12. Bissouma
13. Moder
14. Alzate ( HGP )
15. Lallana ( HGP )
16. Groß
17. Mac Allister
U21. Sarmiento
18. Trossard
19. Maupay
20. Welbeck ( HGP )
U21. Ferguson

Loanees: Bull (Merstham), Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Longman (Hull City), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Arce (LDU Quito), Mitoma (USG), Andone (Cadiz)*, Molumby (WBA)*, Karbownik (Olympiacos)*, Van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Walton (Ipswich), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Caicedo ( Beerschot), Connolly (Boro), Kozlowski (USG), Østigård (Genoa), Richards(Birmingham).

Sales in this Window: Locadia (VFL Bochum)

*Loan to buy option

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Walton recalled.

Walton to become no 3 squad goalie unless we get a suitable bid.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Walton recalled.

Scherpen will go out on loan.

Window closes: Monday Jan 31st midnight.

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
3. Walton ( HGP )
U21. Scherpen
U21. Lamptey
4. March ( HGP )
5. Cucurella
6. Veltman
7. Burn ( HGP )
8. Webster ( HGP )
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
U21. Roberts
U21. Turns
U21. Dendonker (recalled awaiting new loan)
11. Băluţa
U21. Leonard
12. Mwepu
13. Bissouma
15. Moder
15. Alzate ( HGP )
16. Lallana ( HGP )
17. Groß
18. Mac Allister
U21. Sarmiento
19. Trossard
20. Maupay
21. Welbeck ( HGP )
U21. Ferguson

Loanees: Bull (Merstham), Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Longman (Hull City), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Arce (LDU Quito), Mitoma (USG), Andone (Cadiz)*, Molumby (WBA)*, Karbownik (Olympiacos)*, Van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Caicedo ( Beerschot), Connolly (Boro), Kozlowski (USG), Østigård (Genoa), Richards(Birmingham).

Sales in this Window: Locadia (VFL Bochum)

*Loan to buy option

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What is the reason for the Walton thing? Is it because he's likely to be sold / go on a free end of the season, where as we want to develop Scherpen ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What is the reason for the Walton thing? Is it because he's likely to be sold / go on a free end of the season, where as we want to develop Scherpen ?
We want to send Scherpen on loan so need a 3rd goalie.

If we get a suitable bid, of course, he will still be sold.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seems a bit harsh on Walton but that is football I guess

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Seems a bit harsh on Walton but that is football I guess

I guess – and I have no clue about these things – that the club has moved on since the start of Walton's rise. Wasn't he being touted as a successor to Stockdale? Goalkeeper is a funny position, but with Big Bob doing a sterling effort – and Steele a capable No.2 – it leaves CW in a bit of limbo. I don't know if he's kicked on as expected/hoped, but if he hasn't then he's not likely to replace Sanchez and if he has, then it might be the best time to cash in :shrug:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Walton recalled.

Nothing confirmed officially by either us or Ipswich, just one local paper up there reporting it so far (this story has then been repeated by Brighton and Hove Independent) but say there is a 7 day grace period so he will possibly play against Bolton at the weekend. Also mentions that Ipswich are still in negotiations to make the deal permanent

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/brighton-recall-christian-walton-8611064.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I guess – and I have no clue about these things – that the club has moved on since the start of Walton's rise. Wasn't he being touted as a successor to Stockdale? Goalkeeper is a funny position, but with Big Bob doing a sterling effort – and Steele a capable No.2 – it leaves CW in a bit of limbo. I don't know if he's kicked on as expected/hoped, but if he hasn't then he's not likely to replace Sanchez and if he has, then it might be the best time to cash in :shrug:

Yeh, I agree with the above.

I also think ability to play a pass wasn't as much of a consideration then

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Yep agreed - I think specifically I meant he has been at Ipswich and playing week in / week out - now recalled to be our third choice keeper. The messaging just seems a bit messy, unless he really does get sold now - but then who is our #3 ?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yep agreed - I think specifically I meant he has been at Ipswich and playing week in / week out - now recalled to be our third choice keeper. The messaging just seems a bit messy, unless he really does get sold now - but then who is our #3 ?

I suppose Rushworth gets recalled or McGill. Doubt we'll sell him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here