Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25 Man Squad [2021 Edition]

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's going to be interesting how Potter progresses with this squad. It seems thin to me, but maybe that's because I have grown accustomed to Potter tweaking the starting 11 so much. I guess there's a clear starting 11 in mind now, with backup players who can cover multiple positions. It's going to be interesting.

Thin up top (aren't we all) but robust enough to handle most things unless we get really unlucky with injuries I think. Potter always wanted a decent back up player for each position. This looks strong to me - with lots of time and attention focused in training on players who are more likely to play regularly. Example (not my selections - just for illustration purposes):

Sanchez - Steele
Lamptey - Alzate
Cucurella - March
Veltman - Burn
Webster - Duffy
Dunk - Roberts
Bissouma - Lallana
Moder - Gross
Mac Allister - Mwepu
Trossard - Richards
Maupay - Welbeck

Reserves:
Scherpen
Băluţa
Connolly
Locadia
Plus Evans etc from U23s

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Dendoncker to St Johnstone.

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
U21. Scherpen
U21. Lamptey
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )
U21. Roberts
10. Băluţa
11. Mwepu
12. Bissouma
13. Moder
14. Alzate ( HGP )
15. Lallana ( HGP )
16. Groß
17. Mac Allister
U21. Richards
18. Trossard
19. Maupay
20. Welbeck ( HGP )
U21. Connolly
21. Locadia

Loanees: Bull (Merstham), Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Longman (Hull City), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Arce (LDU Quito), Mitoma (USG), Østigård (Stoke City), Andone (Cadiz)*, Molumby (WBA)*, Karbownik (Olympiacos)*, Van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Walton (Ipswich), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Caicedo ( Beerschot), Dendoncker (St Johnstone)

Sales Izquierdo (Released), Propper (PSV), Mlakar (Hadjuk Split), Bernardo (Salzburg), Yapi (Vitesse), Ryan (Real Sociedad), Jahanbakhsh (Feyenoord), White (Arsenal), Tau (Al Ahly)

* Loan to buy option

Last edited:

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
Would expect Locadia and Baluta to still leave before some international windows shut. Looking rather thin suddenly. Perhaps Potter has his eye on a number of our u23's...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Let's hope the recruitment team haven't dropped a massive clanger here as it will be much more expensive to rectify in the next window if we are in desperate need of someone who knows what that funny netty thing is meant to be used for

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Dendoncker to St Johnstone.

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
U21. Scherpen
U21. Lamptey
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )
U21. Roberts
10. Băluţa
11. Mwepu
12. Bissouma
13. Moder
14. Alzate ( HGP )
15. Lallana ( HGP )
16. Groß
17. Mac Allister
U21. Richards
18. Trossard
19. Maupay
20. Welbeck ( HGP )
U21. Connolly
21. Locadia

Loanees: Bull (Merstham), Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Longman (Hull City), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Arce (LDU Quito), Mitoma (USG), Østigård (Stoke City), Andone (Cadiz)*, Molumby (WBA)*, Karbownik (Olympiacos)*, Van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Walton (Ipswich), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Caicedo ( Beerschot), Dendoncker (St Johnstone)

Sales Izquierdo (Released), Propper (PSV), Mlakar (Hadjuk Split), Bernardo (Salzburg), Yapi (Vitesse), Ryan (Real Sociedad), Jahanbakhsh (Feyenoord), White (Arsenal), Tau (Al Ahly)

* Loan to buy option

Maybe it's only a 20 man squad we have to now have?

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Does Locadia still turn up to training ? Or is he consigned to the Under 23s to "help their development" ? Seems very odd to have a floater just picking up his money every week.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maybe it's only a 20 man squad we have to now have?

26 players on that list, remove Baluta and Locadia (who knows in the latter case though) and there is 24. But then again, you could probably add Marc Leonard who I think will see game time this season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Everyone who moaned about a lack of opportunities for our exciting U23s should be very pleased we've made space for them to flourish.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Just looking at the loanees and trying to guess who would be fighting for a first team place next summer (if they have a successful loan), and I came up with 10 of them! (In bold)

So we could be incorporating those into the squad, the others are either too young I think or have option to buy so guessing they won't be part of it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Does Locadia still turn up to training ? Or is he consigned to the Under 23s to "help their development" ? Seems very odd to have a floater just picking up his money every week.

the current situation with Locadia is that he is an Albion player and is training as normal. There's photos of him in training on the Albion site over last week or so. There's reports of interest. in Turkey (their window doesn't shut for another week) so don't rule out an exit. The Athletic reported yesterday that if that doesn't come off that Potter is comfortable with Locadia being part of his plans. What that means in practice is hard to guess given how long he's been away from the PL and how he's only played one game under Potter.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
26 players on that list, remove Baluta and Locadia (who knows in the latter case though) and there is 24. But then again, you could probably add Marc Leonard who I think will see game time this season.

But I thought if they were U21 they didn't need to be included in the official 25, or have i got that wrong?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I guess the thing that is surprising to me, is that the U23 players I thought would be around the squad have been shipped off on loan.
With the exception of Connolly and Lamptey, the U23s aren't players who are on the verge of making it into the first team. But then again neither was Sanchez this time last year....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd guess that we will register these over 21 players:

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )
10. Mwepu
11. Bissouma
12. Moder
13. Alzate ( HGP )
14. Lallana ( HGP )
15. Groß
16. Mac Allister
17. Trossard
18. Maupay
19. Welbeck ( HGP )

As I think Locadia and Baluta will be loaned somewhere in Europe.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just looking at the loanees and trying to guess who would be fighting for a first team place next summer (if they have a successful loan), and I came up with 10 of them! (In bold)

So we could be incorporating those into the squad, the others are either too young I think or have option to buy so guessing they won't be part of it.

Agree with some of your selections - others I'm not sure of.
Jenks is having a torrid time at Aberdeen. The manager is not giving him much game time and the fans are giving him pelters - they really have taken against him (see the Official Loanee Tracker thread* for details). If things don't turn round up there for him I could see him being recalled in January - which also wouldn't do much for his confidence.
Clarke doesn't seem to be fancied by GP - straight out on loan every window. The fact that we've kept a much younger (and shorter) left sided CB here in the squad speaks volumes.
Ostigard - another surprise that he didn't get a bit more time here. There's a very good chance, of course, that he'll get promoted, in which case we would probably get a reasonale price if they want to keep him (the same applles to Clarke too).
Longman I would include on the list of possibles. Scores goals!
Zeqiri - don't know why, but I've just got a gut feeling he won't be coming back.

* https://www.northstandchat.com/show...21-22&highlight=official+loanee+tracker+tread
(Official Loanee Tracker ThreadI

Last edited:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Agree with some of your selections - others I'm not sure of.
Jenks is having a torrid time at Aberdeen. The manager is not giving him much game time and the fans are giving him pelters - they really have taken against him (see the Official Loanee Tracker thread* for details). If things don't turn round up there for him I could see him being recalled in January - which also wouldn't do much for his confidence.
Clarke doesn't seem to be fancied by GP - straight out on loan every window. The fact that we've kept a much younger (and shorter) left sided CB here in the squad speaks volumes.
Ostigard - another surprise that he didn't get a bit more time here. There's a very good chance, of course, that he'll get promted, in which case we would probably get a reasonale price if they want to keep him (the same applles to Clarke too).
Longman I would include on the list of possibles. Scores goals!
Zeqiri - don't know why, but I've just got a gut feeling he won't be coming back.

* https://www.northstandchat.com/show...21-22&highlight=official+loanee+tracker+tread
(Official Loanee Tracker ThreadI

Yeah I can see where your coming from, yes I didn't know about Jenks, that's a shame!
IF Longmans scores goals in the Champ then yes but I don't think he will get many in that Hull team.
I'm surprised Clarke is still on loan, which makes me think he could potentially be Burns successor next season, otherwise why not sell him?
I think Ostigard will be back and takes Duffy's place.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah I can see where your coming from, yes I didn't know about Jenks, that's a shame!
IF Longmans scores goals in the Champ then yes but I don't think he will get many in that Hull team.
I'm surprised Clarke is still on loan, which makes me think he could potentially be Burns successor next season, otherwise why not sell him?
I think Ostigard will be back and takes Duffy's place.

Nobody in the Championship could afford him? They're all skint after Covid.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nobody in the Championship could afford him? They're all skint after Covid.

Indeed. They also struggle to loan players with Premier League wages, hence a lot of players who would normally go there have gone elsewhere and several Championship clubs are sitting around with thin or incomplete squads.

More money was spent in the fecking Serie B, where there are bankruptcies and chaos every year, than in the Championship.

The main reason Championship clubs used to be reasonably rich is because is the 4th most attended football league in the world. Nowhere else has the Covid stuff had such a big impact on the economies of the clubs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd guess that we will register these over 21 players:

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )
10. Mwepu
11. Bissouma
12. Moder
13. Alzate ( HGP )
14. Lallana ( HGP )
15. Groß
16. Mac Allister
17. Trossard
18. Maupay
19. Welbeck ( HGP )

As I think Locadia and Baluta will be loaned somewhere in Europe.

Doesn't Dicker have to be included too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here