Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 attempts on goal, was today really that bad?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the league, yes.

Sheff Wed: -
Cheltenham Town: Dunk, CMS
Birmingham: -
Leeds: Teixeira, LuaLua
Bolton: CMS, Teixeira
Swindon: Ince, Colunga, Forster-Caskey, Forster-Caskey
Charlton: Dunk, Dunk
Brentford: Greer, Holla
Ipswich: -
Blackpool: -

But who's had the most attempts on goal?

I doubt it's any of CMS, Baldock or Colunga.
I'll go so far as to say I doubt any of them are in the top 3 of attemptees.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But who's had the most attempts on goal?

I doubt it's any of CMS, Baldock or Colunga.
I'll go so far as to say I doubt any of them are in the top 3 of attemptees.

Shots:
Lualua - 23
CMS - 20
Dunk - 16
Teixeira - 14
Holla - 12

Shots on goal
Dunk - 8
Lualua / Mackail-Smith - 7
Holla / Teixeira - 5
Crofts - 4
Colunga / Greer / Ince / O'Grady - 3

(That's league and cup)

Fulking Seagull

Mar 31, 2013
Fulking
1st half was dreadful but the 2nd half much improved. It will come...keep the faith.

I thought the quality of McCourt in the final minutes was particularly encouraging. He seemed very comfortable on the ball with the time and vision to see and choose the right option.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
If you don't score from 25 on goal then you would think that there is a problem with the strike force.

The fact is stats don't mean sh!t alot of the time, and yesterday alot of the 'shots' where wild and hopeful at best, we had very few genuine goal scoring opportunities.

What also made the draw feel more like a loss is how bad Blackpool were, especially offensively, and they could of nicked a win.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Apart from the 25 shots with 6 on target we had 15 corners but what the stats dont say is how many of these produced anything also how many went past the first man. Why does JFC take the corners? I think we would be better off having somebody like Bennett take the corners and leave JFC lurking on the edge of the box for the ball that comes out.

The stats do say, well the main one anyway which said zero

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shots:
Lualua - 23
CMS - 20
Dunk - 16
Teixeira - 14
Holla - 12

Shots on goal
Dunk - 8
Lualua / Mackail-Smith - 7
Holla / Teixeira - 5
Crofts - 4
Colunga / Greer / Ince / O'Grady - 3

(That's league and cup)
So basically we need to play Dunk up front.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One meaningful shot on target (Bruno), two decent crosses that were very dangerous, and three meaningful not so near misses. Plus 20 shots of which five were so bad that I would not have counted them, and fifteen were really tame. Two good chances, one missed by Colunga early on. And a header over near the end. Probably good enough for 1-0 most days.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If ever stats could completely tell the opposite story of what happened in a game it's these.

You'd think it was a massively attacking exciting 0-0. As it was, the goal keepers made 1 save of note each, most of the shots threatened the corner flags or the rear rows of the stand….

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Apart from the 25 shots with 6 on target we had 15 corners but what the stats dont say is how many of these produced anything also how many went past the first man. Why does JFC take the corners? I think we would be better off having somebody like Bennett take the corners and leave JFC lurking on the edge of the box for the ball that comes out.

JFC only takes the left sided corners. Agree it probably shouldn't be him though.

I don't think we were bad yesterday. We played some good football and their keeper made a couple of good saves to deny us. Stockdale made a great save late on as well to save Bruno's blushes.

It really was our finishing that let us down.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
JFC only takes the left sided corners. Agree it probably shouldn't be him though.

I don't think we were bad yesterday. We played some good football and their keeper made a couple of good saves to deny us. Stockdale made a great save late on as well to save Bruno's blushes.

I wish you could have sat next to me and pointed out where we played some good football - because I couldn't see it. Totally respect your opinion, even if I couldn't really find a positive myself.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I wish you could have sat next to me and pointed out where we played some good football - because I couldn't see it. Totally respect your opinion, even if I couldn't really find a positive myself.

For me, holding onto the ball, not conceding, having some chances etc. counts as good football.

Of course I'd have liked to have seen some silky footwork and some, even just one, goals but no luck.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The second half was as one sided as the World Cup games where a England managed to hold on for over an hour with 10 men against Argentina and Portugal, and also the entire game getting outclassed by Italy in Euro 2012 into take it to penalties. Sometimes the ball just won't go in.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

That was the second half. First half was pedestrian. Bruno MOM despite his blunder.

Blackpool had a couple of players that were League 2 standard and three more that weren't up to Championship level, so our dominance may have been to do with the poor quality of the opposition. We will soon know if our midfield is up to it: Forest, Wigan, Watford, Cardiff coming up. I have my doubts that we can keep the ball as well as last season.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's going to be interesting at Forest...they've got one forward who has scored as many goals as our whole team has done all season.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
One meaningful shot on target (Bruno), two decent crosses that were very dangerous, and three meaningful not so near misses. Plus 20 shots of which five were so bad that I would not have counted them, and fifteen were really tame. Two good chances, one missed by Colunga early on. And a header over near the end. Probably good enough for 1-0 most days.

Does Holla's free kick saved at full length by the keeper, or his volley tipped over the bar not count? What about Bennett's free kick that scraped the post?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Does Holla's free kick saved at full length by the keeper, or his volley tipped over the bar not count? What about Bennett's free kick that scraped the post?

For me the best chance didn't even result in a shot: Baldock put free on the left of the box passing the ball instead of smashing it past the keeper. That's the sign of a striker low on confidence and form.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
For me the best chance didn't even result in a shot: Baldock put free on the left of the box passing the ball instead of smashing it past the keeper. That's the sign of a striker low on confidence and form.

Oh I dunno - just tried to set it up for Colunga who was better placed. Baldock was screaming for the ball earlier when Bruno shot instead.
The best chance came in the first minute.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Oh I dunno - just tried to set it up for Colunga who was better placed. Baldock was screaming for the ball earlier when Bruno shot instead.

He wasn't better placed. Ask any decent striker what they would have done. I think we all know the answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here