Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 22 WSL games to be shown live on BBC TV from next season

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The average NSC user really isn't the target audience. So I doubt anyone care too much about some of the antiquated opinions expressed here.

More and more girls follow Brighton now. And if they get more opportunity to watch women's football, and that helps in any way to get them motivated to play themselves, or indeed take up any sport, then brilliant. I'd rather my daughter was inspired by the Albion's women's team than by Gemma Collins, the weird plastic people on most reality shows or some 'influencer' wittering on about make up.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Women’s football will get season long network TV coverage from next season.

I’m sure it will get an audience, but I do get the feeling that we appear to be constantly bombarded into almost being made to embrace women’s sport, be it cricket or football.

Whilst I fully support development of all youngsters to play any sport, I don’t really follow the Albion ladies team, am I in the NSC majority or minority on this?
For the love of God, don't press that red button on your remote. When you find out they have been showing games on there for a while, you may feel you have been conned into watching it even more.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Sure, it's clear many people only really care about the men's team. I'm interested to find out why, because I haven't heard a compelling argument yet as to why a Brighton fan supports the Brighton men's team but not the Brighton women's team.

There must be one, I'm trying to work it out :)

You're in a tiny minority here. You need to work out why you're different!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Extra coverage is great news for Tony and the women's team. Pleased for them, and hope it grows.

Personally not interested in it it, and block it from social media, but don't get angry about it...

This.

Some very odd posts on this thread, and indeed a very odd thread. Reminds me of back in the day when certain people complained about 'darkie' music and 'pooverie' being forced on people. :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sure, it's clear many people only really care about the men's team. I'm interested to find out why, because I haven't heard a compelling argument yet as to why a Brighton fan supports the Brighton men's team but not the Brighton women's team.

Because the quality is nowhere near as good, the crowds (when allowed) nowhere near as big or noisy and it involves (post Covid) either a nasty coach trip to Crawley or watching something on the red button that isn't as good as what's on Sky or BT Sport.

It's a different and inferior product and not one that falls into my history with the club or the majority of the community of mates that I have (though there are a few who are regulars).

That may not convince *you* but I suspect it covers about 75% of the responders on this thread.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Because no one has grown up a fan of the womens/youth/U23s they've grown up a fan of the mens senior side. I couldn't name you one player from the youth or womens setup and I wouldn't know much about most of the U23 squad.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's more detail about the contract here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56459754

- 22 live matches on BBC TV, including a minimum of 18 on BBC One and BBC Two (remaining matches on the Red Button and online)
- Up to 44 live matches, with a minimum of 35, shown on Sky Sports Football, Premier League and Main Event channels
- Selected fixtures will also be simulcast on Sky One and Sky Sports Mix
- All broadcasters will have rights to online coverage, in-play clips and highlights (WSL clubs also have rights to in-play clips and highlights)
- Remaining matches not selected for broadcast shown live on FA Player
- There will be one free-to-air game on BBC every weekend, with Sky having two other picks
- Selected matches expected to be scheduled on Friday 18:30 GMT, Saturday 11:30 GMT, Sunday 12:30 GMT and Sunday 18:30 GMT
- 75% of investment revenue to go to WSL clubs, 25% to the Women's Championship

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You're in a tiny minority here. You need to work out why you're different!

But 'here' is a tiny minority of Brighton/football fans.

And existing football fans are a tiny minority of potential football fans.

So...who's really 'different'?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think it's great news for the sport. The more exposure it gets, the more positive role models for girls in sport the better.

It will also allow it to grow it's own fan base rather than try and graft it on to an existing one.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
But 'here' is a tiny minority of Brighton/football fans.

And existing football fans are a tiny minority of potential football fans.

So...who's really 'different'?

I mean 'here' as in 'this respect', not NSC. And we're talking about current interest, not potential.

I'm saying that the vast majority of people who follow a men's football club - any football club - do not feel obliged to follow the women's team simply because they share a shirt/name/owner.

It is not an unusual position.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It is good that both cricket and football is now available for girls to play. However as far as watching is concerned with few exceptions it needs to attract a new audience because womens pro football is a different game. Appreciate Albion have to play at Crawley but they attract I think about 400/500. Amazes me a full time playing staff can be run on these numbers. People always quote big attendances at important international games but these are a one off. Would go as far as saying if Albion played a FA Cup semi at Amex this one of could get a big gate. Games on TV is good,not that I will watch but a means of bringing in own income and not rely on mens game

BHAFCLive

Sep 21, 2018
This is the first time the WSL TV rights deal has gone for a fee (£8million per year - equates to the rough cost of a single PL match). Previous deals have been given away, with the broadcaster just having to cover the cost of production. So this is a step in the right direction, as Albion will directly benefit from the pot for the first time.

Games have been weekly on the BBC Red Button for a few years, including a handful of Brighton ones (we've lost every time, mainly to Arsenal). Moving them on to the main BBC channels is all about putting it in the shop window. It may be the case that for every 100 Albion fans that aren't interested, one may now be because it's free on BBC One or either side of Sky's Super Sunday. And having proper coverage instead of the bare minimum seen previously will only help make it more watchable.

For the vast majority, it'll pass by without notice, but it's not about converting the 30,000 at The Amex into devotees at Crawley on a Sunday. It's about offering something else for the smaller group that are interested, and adding numbers to that as much as possible.

I do get that people feel these things get over-promoted beyond their means, or 'rammed down their throats'. I particularly get the grievances with misleading email subjects or social media things (and they've split the twitter account into two now which should help separate this for people who aren't interested in both). Deals like this TV one should slowly help move away from that, in the long term help make the women's game more self-sustainable (still a long way to go). So this should be welcomed, really.

It's not going to negatively impact anyone, they're not going to drop Countryfile or cut away from the end of Super Sunday in order to show this. It's just in addition to.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Still get a bit cheesed off that I pay for my Seagull travel and club will bus me to Crawley for free plus only £5 for ticket Am sure if had relative or friend playing would take an interest but it needs to stand on own feet

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am interested - as in looking at the highlights. I think it's great that girls will be able to easily watch games, and get heroes, and get an interest, join a club and be part of the beautiful game. At some point I may get an interest to go and watch. But I am delighted the club has got involved - and at the level they have. Who knows how big it could get.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Good news. The standard is high and I find the games a very enjoyable and entertaining spectacle.

My 7 and 5 year boys and their friends enjoy the women's games too so I think it bodes well for the future and growth of the women's game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This.

Some very odd posts on this thread, and indeed a very odd thread. Reminds me of back in the day when certain people complained about 'darkie' music and 'pooverie' being forced on people. :shrug:

It's the victim mentality that puzzles me. Constantly bombarded, being pushed onto us.

You are free to ignore it. You are not being made to watch it as a condition of your male season ticket purchase,

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great news for the women's game. If it is to grow this is the exposure it needs. I certainly understand why people don't want to watch it, that's absolutely fine, but the constant outrage at having the Women's game rammed down our throats is sooooo tedious and lame. Just don't watch it and move on.

For me it's not a patch on watching the men's game it has a limited interest for me but I would like to see the sport succeed. This deal is a step in the right direction and it comes at a time when the Albion are on the up so I am more likely to tune in. In all honesty I'd be more interested in the team moving back to Brighton (or at least it's environs) so I can attend the games in person.

What better way to build up the excitement for Euro 2022 and top class international football at the Amex next summer.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Because the quality is nowhere near as good, the crowds (when allowed) nowhere near as big or noisy and it involves (post Covid) either a nasty coach trip to Crawley or watching something on the red button that isn't as good as what's on Sky or BT Sport.

It's a different and inferior product and not one that falls into my history with the club or the majority of the community of mates that I have (though there are a few who are regulars).

That may not convince *you* but I suspect it covers about 75% of the responders on this thread.

Quality is always the first argument pushed out and its the easiest to debunk. We all followed Brighton in Division 3 when the quality was dreadful. If we supported a football team for quality we could have all switched to Man Utd, but we didn't. We don't support Brighton's men's team because the quality is good, so thats not a reason to not support the women's team.

I get the crowds argument and the trip to Crawley when going in person, but we're not talking about going to games, we're talking about watching on TV. If we choose to watch Brighton's men's team on tv, but not the women's team, that decision isn't made because the atmosphere is better and the journey easier. Likewise we can argue that watching a game with large crowds is more entertaining, but again, we're all watching games with no crowds now and still enjoying them. Most of us will go and watch a local club side or watch our kids matches with no more than 50 people on the touchlines, and enjoy the match.

No, we don't have history with the women's team - but it is part of the Albion. The Albion is changing all the time, from the owners to the players and managers to the stadiums we play in, some pretty dramatic changes in the last three decades. We go with the ride. And anyway, all history starts somewhere, there was a time when I wasn't a Brighton fan, and then I was.

I'm not as passionate about the women's team as I am about the men's team. Maybe history is part of the answer. Probably your other point, about the community, that's what makes being an Albion fan more than being a Sussex fan or an England fan. But I certainly have interest, look for the results, watch occasionally - its the concept of 'no interest' or even active dislike, that really confuses me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not my thing, I don’t find it enjoyable to watch but that’s a matter of opinion, it will of course draw decent numbers as it’s on terrestrial TV and women’s football definitely has a growing audience but it’s hard to see it ever being as popular as mens football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here