Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

21 Bikes stolen from Brighton school for children with special needs

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
It seems not! ???

It's a Pupil Referral Unit, where all the kids with severe emotional and behavioural problems go. They cannot cope with mainstream education and often end up there having been expelled from it. However, it isn't a one way street as those who do settle and get back into the swing of education can and do reintegrate into the mainstream.

Doesn't make the burglary any less reprehensible though.

It's a Pupil Referral Unit, where all the kids with severe emotional and behavioural problems go. They cannot cope with mainstream education and often end up there having been expelled from it. However, it isn't a one way street as those who do settle and get back into the swing of education can and do reintegrate into the mainstream.

Doesn't make the burglary any less reprehensible though.

Indeed. It's interesting to see how the perpetrators of this crime are so readily described as "scum" by a good few NSC posters. Take away the description of the victims of the crime as "children with special needs" and my guess is that many of those same posters would easily be chucking the word "scum" at the kids who have had their bikes stolen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Indeed. It's interesting to see how the perpetrators of this crime are so readily described as "scum" by a good few NSC posters. Take away the description of the victims of the crime as "children with special needs" and my guess is that many of those same posters would easily be chucking the word "scum" at the kids who have had their bikes stolen.

Why would that be ?

Any kid, special needs or otherwise, who has had their bike nicked has clearly been the victim of a subhuman piece of filth. The fact that in this instance its children with special needs, vulnerable kids who may not be as capable of processing exactly why they can't ride their bike any more, does actually make it even more deplorable IMO.

Why would that be ?

Any kid, special needs or otherwise, who has had their bike nicked has clearly been the victim of a subhuman piece of filth. The fact that in this instance its children with special needs, vulnerable kids who may not be as capable of processing exactly why they can't ride their bike any more, does actually make it even more deplorable IMO.

Why would that be?

Because the young people who attend Pupil Referral Units are, for the most part, the children who have been excluded from mainstream education because of their extreme disruptive behaviour.

Yes, they are vulnerable and need support. But they get little sympathy from the rest of society.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why would that be?

Because the young people who attend Pupil Referral Units are, for the most part, the children who have been excluded from mainstream education because of their extreme disruptive behaviour.

Yes, they are vulnerable and need support. But they get little sympathy from the rest of society.

Children who are most likely to be from the poorest, most chaotic and deprived backgrounds. Having their bikes nicked is just another kick in the teeth along the way in their shit lives I suppose.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Children who are most likely to be from the poorest, most chaotic and deprived backgrounds. Having their bikes nicked is just another kick in the teeth along the way in their shit lives I suppose.

I think what Lord Bracknell is trying to tell you is it's most likely similar kids from the poorest, most chaotic backgrounds that probably nicked the bikes...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think what Lord Bracknell is trying to tell you is it's most likely similar kids from the poorest, most chaotic backgrounds that probably nicked the bikes...

I guess that'd balance things up nicely then, if that turns out to be the case. They had it coming.

I think one of the things I'm trying to say is that describing bicycle thieves as "subhuman pieces of filth" isn't helping anyone.

Maybe that comes across as wishy washy liberalism, but there's not much of that about these days, and I think the case can still be made for showing a bit of understanding of what is a much more complex issue than most of us are prepared to admit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think one of the things I'm trying to say is that describing bicycle thieves as "subhuman pieces of filth" isn't helping anyone.

Maybe that comes across as wishy washy liberalism, but there's not much of that about these days, and I think the case can still be made for showing a bit of understanding of what is a much more complex issue than most of us are prepared to admit.

I'm not having a pop Lord B, but there is PLENTY of wishy-washy liberalism around these days. More than enough to go around.

Perhaps I have pre-judged the perpetrators of this crime as being "sub-human pieces of filth" - but nicking 21 bikes in one fell swoop suggests to me that this is not the spur-of-the-moment actions of a couple of misguided kids from a local sink estate somewhere. That is a LOT of bikage to shift. I'm no Roy Grace, but I'd wager this was an adult crime, with transport to carry it out.

And IF thats the case, then thats most certainly subhuman filth to me.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Police helped a group of Brighton pupils get back on the road by donating cash to replace their stolen bikes. Sussex Police PC Grant Hebblewhite, who is investigating the theft of 21 cycles from the Brighton and Hove Pupil Referral Unit, said he was determined to help the special need pupils. He applied for funding from Sussex Police’s Property Act Fund – made up of monies received by the police from confiscated property – and was given £1,500. PC Hebblewhite said: “When I told the school about the donation, they were over the moon and their business manager said she was moved to tears

Read more at: http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/stolen-bikes-brighton/

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Police helped a group of Brighton pupils get back on the road by donating cash to replace their stolen bikes. Sussex Police PC Grant Hebblewhite, who is investigating the theft of 21 cycles from the Brighton and Hove Pupil Referral Unit, said he was determined to help the special need pupils. He applied for funding from Sussex Police’s Property Act Fund – made up of monies received by the police from confiscated property – and was given £1,500. PC Hebblewhite said: “When I told the school about the donation, they were over the moon and their business manager said she was moved to tears

Read more at: http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/stolen-bikes-brighton/

Well done the Bobbies. :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Inside job:moo:
Why are you suggesting that?

Why would anyone be calling children scum for having their bike stolen?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not for having their bikes stolen. But for being the type of child who, thanks to their behaviour, have been excluded from mainstream education.
Ah, so you don't actually mean
"Take away the description of the victims of the crime as "children with special needs""
you mean
"Take away the description of the victims of the crime as "children with special needs" and replace with "children that have been excluded from mainstream school due to poor behaviour""
or some other inaccurate statement.

My point is that there are many people who pre-judge children who attend Pupil Referral Units. Those kids need better treatment than that. I'm not going to pre-judge any of them myself and I'm not going in search of a glib phrase to describe "them". They are, in fact, all individuals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here