Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] 2026 Commonwealth Games in Doubt

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
With Birmingham stepping in after Durban pulled out of the 2022 games and other Australian cities already quickly distancing themselves from potential hosting I can see 2026 being cancelled! Surely the UK wouldn’t step in again?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Genuine question, why bid for the games then?

We had State Elections coming up later in the year so the turd used it as a tool to get some positive reporting going his way after being battered and exposed as being a lying corrupt politician.

Should never have offered up to host it given the cost and how much debt his Government has put the state in.

He's known as politician who only cares about Melbourne and f*** the rest of the state.

This decision impacts the regional areas of the state the most.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Genuine question, why bid for the games then?
What I read today is that the original budget was $2.4B. This has blown out to looking more like $6b - $7b due to interest rates and rising cost of materials etc.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We had State Elections coming up later in the year so the turd used it as a tool to get some positive reporting going his way after being battered and exposed as being a lying corrupt politician.

Should never have offered up to host it given the cost and how much debt his Government has put the state in.

He's known as politician who only cares about Melbourne and f*** the rest of the state.

This decision impacts the regional areas of the state the most.
God we’re so lucky with our politicians
Edit: I was of course being flippant.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
We have the worst dog shit Premier in the country who has put the state in nation wide record debt.

We couldn't afford to run it.
Partly in his defence he did state he wouldn’t take money from schools and hospitals to fund an event that lasts 12 days.

Slightly related, I always thought the dear old Queen and the gravitas she had glued the Commonwealth together, with her sadly gone, not just the games, will the whole fabric of the organisation change?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cant see how they claim they'll complete sports venues and infrastructure. what else was there, and how can the venues be viable without the games?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
God we’re so lucky with our politicians
The bloke is pretty popular over here.

I think Tyrone's take is pretty cynical and as usual informed by his extreme feelings towards anyone or any thing left of Maggie Thatcher.

Personally I think he did a good job during COVID and he is a decent statesman. My concerns are around the money he is spending, albeit on worthwhile infrastructure projects. So fo me, as someone with little interest in the Commonwealth Games I am broadly supportive of this decision to not spend a load more cash.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
cant see how they claim they'll complete sports venues and infrastructure. what else was there, and how can the venues be viable without the games?
Many of the sports facilities for the CG were going to be built and then moved elsewhere I believe. So it's not full venues etc being built. It will be interesting to see what is actually done.

We could do with affordable housing in Geelong so I hope the villages are built and used for this (no idea if this was the original idea).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The bloke is pretty popular over here.

I think Tyrone's take is pretty cynical and as usual informed by his extreme feelings towards anyone or any thing left of Maggie Thatcher.

His Party got 37% of the first preference votes. That's not popular. 63% of people didn't think they were worthy of voting for.

He's only popular with his dullard sycophants who excuse all his lies and bullying and gross financial incompetence.

The only reason he's held onto power is because the opposition is totally incompetent. Not because he's a good leader.

Personally I think he did a good job during COVID and he is a decent statesman. My concerns are around the money he is spending, albeit on worthwhile infrastructure projects. So fo me, as someone with little interest in the Commonwealth Games I am broadly supportive of this decision to not spend a load more cash.

Huh?

He f***ed up the hotel quarantine then lied his gutless arse off to cover up his incompetence that lead to us being the most locked down state in the world.

If that's what you consider a good job then you're easily pleased.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Six weeks ago they claimed it was going to cost 2.6 billion.

Now they are claiming it was going to cost 6 billion.

Either they are grossly incompetent and woeful at budgeting or lying sacks of turd.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
His Party got 37% of the first preference votes. That's not popular. 63% of people didn't think they were worthy of voting for.
37% of the vote can be enough for a comfortable majority in the Commons in the UK.
Unless there's only two candidates that sounds fairly normal for a final winner on first preferences or a first round of voting.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Many of the sports facilities for the CG were going to be built and then moved elsewhere I believe. So it's not full venues etc being built. It will be interesting to see what is actually done.

We could do with affordable housing in Geelong so I hope the villages are built and used for this (no idea if this was the original idea).
ah the "movable stadium" gambit, thats not expensive at all. i can see reduced capacity will lower costs.

at this point though, why are there not enough facilities in a given 1st world country to put on the games without vast additional development? probably applies to Olympics too, it just becomes a massive junket for organisers and construction companies. i dont believe any games has ever been financially beneficial to the host.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here